Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2002/05/07 23:14:59 UTC

Japanese Translation

As far as the Japanese translation, I am really lost.  It seems to me that
Xalan won't touch a document with the iso-2202-jp encoding.  I searched
around a little for more info, but I couldn't find anything.  Yoshiki, is
it possible for you to find some information in Japanese forums on how
people are doing XSLT in Japanese?

Joshua

Re: Japanese Translation

Posted by Yoshiki Hayashi <yo...@xemacs.org>.
Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> writes:

> As far as the Japanese translation, I am really lost.  It seems to me that
> Xalan won't touch a document with the iso-2202-jp encoding.  I searched
> around a little for more info, but I couldn't find anything.  Yoshiki, is
> it possible for you to find some information in Japanese forums on how
> people are doing XSLT in Japanese?

Actually, I couldn't find many information about using XSLT
in Japanese.  One said that Xalan-J doesn't accept
iso-2022-jp as an input.  The other said that Xalan-C++
accept iso-2022-jp if Xereces is changed to use ICU.
However, I could convert mod_suexec.ja.xml succefully using
style/build.sh with modification of encoding attribute of
xsl:output in manual.xsl.  I've just committed the
transformed version.

What I used was:

  Sun (blackdown) JDK 1.3.1
  Xalan-Java 1.2.2 (that's what Debian version number says)
  Xerces-java 1.4.3
  Ant 1.4.1

If iso-2022-jp encoding is problematic for other people, I
have no problem changing it to UTF-8.  The only requirement
is that XSLT processor can produce iso-2022-jp file until
every web browsers out there support UTF-8.  Although it is
more convenient if it accepts iso-2022-jp input, it
certainly is not a must.

--
Yoshiki Hayashi