Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Wilfredo Sánchez <ws...@mit.edu> on 2002/11/24 21:18:34 UTC

binbuild.sh favors GNU tar

   binbuild.sh seems to prefer gtar to tar for archiving.  This doesn't
actually happen on Mac OS X because on Darwin, it's 'gnutar', not
'gtar'.

   This is trivial to fix, except that I'd rather not use GNU tar if I
don't have to.  The reason being that GNU tar generates
non-POSIX-compliant tar archives, which when unpacked with POSIX tar
potentially gives you a bogus @LongLink directory.  I'd rather use a
POSIX tar program which both POSIX tar and GNU tar can unpack properly.
  The only drawback there is if we have really long path names, POSIX
tar craps out where GNU tar doesn't.  I don't think we have really long
path names, though.

   So does anyone object if I un-favor GNU tar?

   Looks like the real reason we favor it is to use the -z option
instead of having to run gzip after the fact.  Running gzip in a pipe
chain would do as well, though.

	-wsv

Re: binbuild.sh favors GNU tar

Posted by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>.
+1 from me.

david

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
--On Sunday, November 24, 2002 12:18 PM -0800 Wilfredo Sánchez
<ws...@mit.edu> wrote:

>    So does anyone object if I un-favor GNU tar?

Nope.

>    Looks like the real reason we favor it is to use the -z option
> instead of having to run gzip after the fact.  Running gzip in a
> pipe chain would do as well, though.

+1.  Don't know how it'd work on Solaris otherwise (since it only has
POSIX tar by default).  -- justin