Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by Yangrui Guo <gu...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/03 13:53:30 UTC

Unable to start cTAKES in Ubuntu

Hi,

I'm having trouble deploying cTAKES web client to Tomcat8 in ubuntu. I
successfully deployed the project in Windows. However when I tried to
deploy the war file Tomcat8 gave me an error

Connecting to
jdbc:hsqldb:file:org/apache/ctakes/dictionary/lookup/fast/ctakessnorx/ctakessnorx:

I've increased heap size with both CATALINA_OPTS and JAVA_OPTS to -Xms1024m
-Xmx4096m but the error persists. When I tried to perform a query the
servlet took me to a 500 page containing the following error:

javax.servlet.ServletException:
org.apache.uima.resource.ResourceInitializationException:
Initialization of annotator class
"org.apache.ctakes.dictionary.lookup2.ae.DefaultJCasTermAnnotator"
failed.  (Descriptor: <unknown>)

which root cause is the aforementioned OutOfMemoryError.

My system is Debian 8.2 and the ram is 7.5G. How could I fix the error so I
can run my application?

Thanks,

Yangrui

Re: Unable to start cTAKES in Ubuntu

Posted by Bruce Tietjen <br...@perfectsearchcorp.com>.
I would suggest trying it with minimum memory set to at least 2048M
(-Xms2048M).

cTakes does take a huge amount of memory to run.

[image: IMAT Solutions] <http://imatsolutions.com>
Bruce Tietjen
Senior Software Engineer
[image: Mobile:] 801.634.1547