Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Kenny Smith <ke...@journalscape.com> on 2003/01/04 18:56:37 UTC

What Features for 2.2?

Hi all,

In the interest of following the "release often" paradigm I'd like to
propose that we talk about what features to put into 2.2, work on those and
release 2.2.

I feel a little weird bringing this up since I'm so new to the community,
but I'm seeing a lot of talk about v3 and I'm afraid we're setting ourselves
up for another year of dev before a release.

So, I guess I should start off. A feature that I think is really important
is an easier way to add custom mailets to James, so that we don't have to
require the user to pack their mailets up in the james.sar. We seem to get
that question a lot and it seems to be to be the biggest obstacle that new
users/developers run into when trying to take advantage of the the thing
that sets James apart from other mail servers.

Thoughts?

Kenny Smith
JournalScape.com

RE: What Features for 2.2?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I'd like to propose that we talk about what features
> to put into 2.2, work on those and release 2.2.

Please see http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JamesV2Plans.  I
have not, nor has anyone else, yet updated it for Sergei's proposed changes.

> I feel a little weird bringing this up since I'm so new to the community,
> but I'm seeing a lot of talk about v3 and I'm afraid we're setting
> ourselves up for another year of dev before a release.

I am prepared for v3 to take a year, but I don't expect that it will.  That
all depends upon how much time and effort people are willing to put into it.
In the meantime, we have a very stable v2 codebase, and certainly expect us
to continue to evolve James v2 such as we can do without API changes.

> A feature that I think is really important is an easier way
> to add custom mailets to James, so that we don't have to
> require the user to pack their mailets up in the james.sar.

Definitely on the books for v3.  I don't know if it makes sense to try
retrofiting that type of change into v2.  Serge seems to have some prototype
code for this, and may be the best one to answer.

	--- Noel

RE: What Features for 2.2?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Mailet API, repository structure and API changes, etc.

As I understand the plan, the Mailet API changes should allow most James v2
matchers and mailets to move to James v3 unchanged, but James-specific
mailets that make use of James-specific code that isn't part of the Mailet
API would change to use new, portable, features.

Furthermore, the presence of attributes associated with Mail and User
objects will have an impact, as will repository and database access changes.

	--- Noel

Posted by Hontvari Jozsef <ho...@solware.com>.

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

RE: What Features for 2.2?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

RE: What Features for 2.2?

Posted by Kenny Smith <ke...@journalscape.com>.
Hi Danny,

> > In the interest of following the "release often" paradigm I'd like to
> > propose that we talk about what features to put into 2.2, work on
> > those and release 2.2.
>
> 2.1 is a branch which exists primarily for bug fixes to v2.1

Ok. Does that mean we aren't going to have a 2.2? That we'll do 2.1.1,
2.1.2, 2.1.3 and then move to 3.0?

> > I feel a little weird bringing this up since I'm so new to the
> community,
> > but I'm seeing a lot of talk about v3 and I'm afraid we're
> > setting ourselves
> > up for another year of dev before a release.
>
> 1/ it wasn't a year of dev.

Sorry, I thought I read that is someone's message. My bad.

> 2/ we will still be able to release often, but v3 will change a
> lot between minor versions, whereas v2.1 will remain pretty stable.

I think I'm confused. Are we just moving from v2.1 directly to v3?

> this is slated for v3, check out the wiki to see what else we've come up
> with so far..

I keep forgetting about wiki.. I'll do that now.

Kenny Smith
JournalScape.com

RE: What Features for 2.2?

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

> In the interest of following the "release often" paradigm I'd like to
> propose that we talk about what features to put into 2.2, work on
> those and
> release 2.2.

2.1 is a branch which exists primarily for bug fixes to v2.1

> I feel a little weird bringing this up since I'm so new to the community,
> but I'm seeing a lot of talk about v3 and I'm afraid we're
> setting ourselves
> up for another year of dev before a release.

1/ it wasn't a year of dev.
2/ we will still be able to release often, but v3 will change a lot between
minor versions, whereas v2.1 will remain pretty stable.

> So, I guess I should start off. A feature that I think is really important
> is an easier way to add custom mailets to James, so that we don't have to
> require the user to pack their mailets up in the james.sar. We seem to get
> that question a lot and it seems to be to be the biggest obstacle that new
> users/developers run into when trying to take advantage of the the thing
> that sets James apart from other mail servers.

this is slated for v3, check out the wiki to see what else we've come up
with so far..

d.