Posted to dev@openmeetings.apache.org by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com> on 2021/01/15 02:29:50 UTC

Re: Research on Logging Practices in Testing

Hello Haonan Zhang,

please avoid writing personal emails,
since your question is about OpenMeetings development please write to the
dev@ list instead (in CC)
(you might need to subscribe before writing:

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 at 23:51, Holen Zhang <ho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am very sorry for bothering you again, I know you are very busy but It’s
> highly appreciated if you can spend a moment answering our question.
>
> Wish you all the best.
>
> Best regards,
> --
> Haonan Zhang
> Master's Student
> Dept. of Computer Science and Software Engineering
> Concordia University
>
> Holen Zhang <ho...@gmail.com> 于2020年12月14日周一 上午11:22写道:
>
>> Dear Maxim,
>>
>> I am a Master's student at Concordia University, Canada working on a
>> research project about logging practices in testing. As part of my
>> research, I want to understand why developers add logging statements in
>> test files. By examining the logging practices in open source projects, I
>> found that you recently added one logging statement in the *openmeetings*
>> project. I am wondering for each logging statement listed below, if you
>> could please *describe briefly why you added the logging statement in
>> the specific situation*?
>>
>>     File path:
>> *openmeetings-web/src/test/java/org/apache/openmeetings/AbstractWicketTester.java*
>>     Link to the commit:
>> https://github.com/apache/openmeetings/commit/18c362d91a743e0de9ddf6b808bffce8a612d6c1
>>     Code:
>> *        log.info <http://log.info>("{} Locale is selected", l); *(line
>> number 88)

Our project is translated to ~40 languages
The language of user interface is determined based on browser language

To catch any locale specific error we are using random generated locale
To be able to find out which locale is a "trouble-maker" it should be logged

--
Best regards,
Maxim