Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/17 02:21:19 UTC

[VOTE][RESULT] Trademark and Brand

Ballot:  *http://s.apache.org/SXM*

Voting is now closed.

* <http://s.apache.org/SXM>**PPMC BALLOT RESULT*

14 TOTAL (a) Apache OpenOffice.org:  40.00%

20 TOTAL (b) Apache OpenOffice: 57.14%

1 TOTAL (c) Apache Open Office:  2.86%

35 TOTAL PPMC VOTES

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

*OVERALL BALLOT RESULTS*

   30 TOTAL (a) Apache OpenOffice.org : 43.48%

   38 TOTAL (b) Apache OpenOffice : 55.07%

    1 TOTAL (c) Apache Open Office : 1.45%

    0 TOTAL d : 0.00%

   69 TOTAL VOTES

   *BALLOT DETAILS*

   a Kent Åberg : kentaberg
   a Joost Andrae
   a Miguel Ángel
   a  Billy
   a Richard Clary
   a Danese Cooper : danese
   a Yuri Dario
   a Hagar Delest
   a  FR web forum
   a Pedro Giffuni : pfg
   a Pavel Janík : paveljanik
   a Rory O'Farrell
   a Andrea Pescetti : pescetti
   a Marco A. G.  Pinto
   a Nóirín Plunkett : noirin
   a  RGB.ES <http://rgb.es/>
   a Eric Bachard : ericb2 (ppmc)
   a Arthur Buijs : artietee (ppmc)
   a Alexandro Colorado : jza (ppmc)
   a Ariel Constenla-Haile : arielch (ppmc)
   a Thomas J. Frazier : tj (ppmc)
   a Kazunari Hirano : khirano (ppmc)
   a Drew Jensen : atjensen (ppmc)
   a Christoph Jopp : cjopp (ppmc)
   a Peter Junge : pj (ppmc)
   a Maho Nakata : maho (ppmc)
   a Manfred Reiter : fredao (ppmc)
   a Zoltán Reizinger : r4zoli (ppmc)
   a Kay Schenk : kschenk (ppmc)
   a 依瑪貓 : imacat (ppmc)

   b Shane Curcuru : curcuru
   b Andrew N. Dowden
   b Olaf Felka
   b Claudio F.  Filho
   b Andre Fischer
   b Wolfram Garten
   b Román Hugo Gelbort : elproferoman
   b Gerardo Gómez
   b Christian Grobmeier : grobmeier
   b Larry Gusaas
   b Jan Jelowicki
   b Zhe Liu
   b Gavin McDonald
   b Louis Suárez-Potts : louis
   b  Terry
   b Ji Yan
   b Shao Zhi Zhao
   b Hans Zybura
   b Dave Barton : bmcs (ppmc)
   b Raphael Bircher : rbircher (ppmc)
   b Herbert Dürr : hdu (ppmc)
   b David Fisher : wave (ppmc)
   b Dennis E. Hamilton : orcmid (ppmc)
   b Don Harbison : dpharbison (ppmc)
   b Marcus Lange : marcus (ppmc)
   b Armin Le Grand : alg (ppmc)
   b Ian Lynch : ingotian (ppmc)
   b Yong Lin Ma : mayongl (ppmc)
   b Carl Marcum : cmarcum (ppmc)
   b Ingrid von der Mehden : ingrid (ppmc)
   b Frank Thomas Peters : fpe (ppmc)
   b Allen Pulsifer : apulsifer (ppmc)
   b Andrew Rist : arist (ppmc)
   b Jürgen Schmidt : jsc (ppmc)
   b Jomar Silva : homembit (ppmc)
   b Jean Hollis Weber : jeanweber (ppmc)
   b Rob Weir : robweir (ppmc)
   b Oliver-Rainer Wittmann : orw (ppmc)

   c Wolf Halton : wolfhalton (ppmc)

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Trademark and Brand

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:03 AM, "Joe Schaefer" <jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>> >________________________________

Good point, since it may have implications for some of the IPMC status
tracking.  We can do that once we have thumbs up from Shane.

-Rob

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Trademark and Brand

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> Note: yes, you should explicitly email trademarks@ if you have a specific
> brand question that needs a direct answer.  Thanks.
>

> On 2011-11-29 8:58 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> In case it was not clear, we're waiting for a "go-ahead" from Shane
>> before taking the rebranding to the next step, e.g. updating website,
>> revising the logo, communicating the change, etc.
>

> +1, Apache OpenOffice is the perfect name for the podling.
>
> Have folks thought about a final logo yet?  (Note: that's not at all
> required, I'm just curious - and am wondering how to make a smooth looking
> logo including the "Apache" with the gulls)

Not yet.  Wanted to make sure the name was OK first.

A fun way to get a logo is to have a logo contest and vote on the
submissions.  I suspect that Apache cannot provide a prize ("We don't
pay for developers") but would there be an issue with the PPMC voting
on logos and designating a person to receive a 3rd party provided
prize?

One idea, blending Apache and birds, is to consider the role of the
roadrunner in Apache folklore:

http://www.impurplehawk.com/folklore6.html

Truly, "The Apache Way"

-Rob

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com> wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> I notice that you're leaning toward "Apache OpenOffice".
>>
>> Please proceed cautiously and get proper legal advice first. On first blush, this sounds and looks very much like the OpenOffice trademark that Oracle already had to work around. Simply putting Apache in front of something doesn't necessarily distinguish it from other trademarks.
>>

> Opinions vary on whether adding ".org" to a name necessarily
> distinguishes it either.
>
> There is one Dutch company that claims a registration on "Open Office"
> (note the space) as a name for a corporation providing IT services.

Actually, the name of the company appears to be "Open Office
Automatisering VOF", something like "Open Office Automation"

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
On 2011-11-30 1:55 PM, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I notice that you're leaning toward "Apache OpenOffice".

Actually the PPMC held a formal vote and specifically chose this name,
so it's their plan of record, and not just leaning towards.

> Please proceed cautiously and get proper legal advice first. On first
> blush, this sounds and looks very much like the OpenOffice trademark
> that Oracle already had to work around. Simply putting Apache in
> front of something doesn't necessarily distinguish it from other
> trademarks.

We also have different objectives (and a vastly different set of
resources) than Oracle has with it's corporate trademark strategy.  So
from a policy standpoint, I still support the name, and the PPMC should
feel free to move ahead with their rebranding.

I will work with VP, Legal to get at least some form of feedback from
counsel on the issues that may come up from using this name.  The
podling does need to be aware that there are holders of "OpenOffice" as
a registered trademark in certain jurisdictions, so the AOO podling and
future TLP will need to be diligent in ensuring that we always properly
refer to our own products with the "Apache" in front.

> For example, I imagine that Apache Firefox would be resisted by
> Mozilla.
>
> NOTE: This email is not legal advice.

I didn't imagine that it was, but that's something that is very
important for our PPMC to realize: you (Larry) are explicitly *not*
serving as counsel for the ASF either on this matter or in any other
capacities currently.  Merely as an interested ASF member commenting on
one of our very interesting projects.

- Shane

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.
Folks,

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

On 2011-11-29 8:58 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> In case it was not clear, we're waiting for a "go-ahead" from Shane
> before taking the rebranding to the next step, e.g. updating website,
> revising the logo, communicating the change, etc.

+1, Apache OpenOffice is the perfect name for the podling.

Have folks thought about a final logo yet?  (Note: that's not at all
required, I'm just curious - and am wondering how to make a smooth
looking logo including the "Apache" with the gulls)

> Also, one of the incubator graduation checklist items is:
>
> "Make sure that the requested project name does not already exist and
> check www.nameprotect.com to be sure that the name is not already
> trademarked for an existing software product."

I have not seen any issue in similar TM searches.

- Shane

> It would be good to know whether this is something that Shane does as
> part of this approval project, or whether this is something we do.
> (And if we do it, then how do we get a login?).
>
> Finally, I've seen other podlings call for a vote on general.i.a.o for
> a podling name change, e.g., HMS to Ambari.  Is this required?
>
> -Rob
...snip...

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Trademark and Brand

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by simon peter Neves Pedro <si...@gmail.com>.
Apache OpenOffice

--
Simon Peter Neves Pedro

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Trademark and Brand

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 2:07 AM, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> That's the tally.  What's the result?

Let's see....majority of PPMC voted for "Apache OpenOffice".  And
majority of all votes (binding and non-binding) also voted for "Apache
OpenOffice".

So we'll make the recommendation to the VP of Apache Branding for the
name to be "Apache OpenOffice".  Per Incubation requirements, we need
to ensure that this proposed name is available, doesn't conflict with
other existing trademarks.  But if Shane approves the name, we'll then
have some follow-up tasks, including:

1)  Designing new logo

2) Officially changing the name of the podling

3) Rebranding the website

4) Rebranding the UI in the product

5) Communicating the new name to the public

But these can wait until we hear back from Shane.

-Rob

Posted by Valter Mura <va...@gmail.com>.
Il 17/11/2011 10:31, Ian Lynch ha scritto:
> On 17 November 2011 07:07, Daniel Shahaf<d....@daniel.shahaf.name>  wrote:
>
>> That's the tally.  What's the result?
>>

> Looks like an overall majority for Apache OpenOffice.

Sorry not having voted, I like the choice (b), that is "Apache OpenOffice".

Please, consider also my vote, if possible.

Ciao
--
Valter
*Open Source is better!*

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Trademark and Brand

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.
On 17 November 2011 10:06, tora - Takamichi Akiyama <to...@openoffice.org>wrote:

> Could you take account of voter turnout for the PPMC?
> And take the sampling error into account for the others?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**Sampling_error<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_error>
>
> If those figures are relatively inadequate, please consider what we can be
> for more appropriate ways to get an actual result.
>
> In general, with less than 100 votes, we cannot estimate whole population
> because of large error.

Usually in this sort of vote, if eligible people don't vote, it's
considered an abstention.  Everyone is free to vote so this is not like a
sampling error where we are randomly sampling a population.

Tora

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Trademark and Brand

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Wolf Halton <wo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One might note 35 ppmc voted and I believe that is more than 1/2 of the
> PPMC

Some quick thoughts, not in particular to Wolf's comments, but
something I think we need to remember:

We had a vote because a vote was the only way to move things forward.
I'd much prefer that we always try to decide things by discussion and
by achieving consensus.  In fact we tried that, on many previous
threads.  But it was clear that there were strong opinions on both
sides of the naming debate, so a vote was the only way to move this
forward.  The close results in the vote supports that view that
reaching consensus was not likely to happen.

But I recommend that we think of this as an anomaly, not something we
want to repeat often.  Voting is not the usual way of decision making
in Apache projects.  Except for mandatory voting for new committers,
PMC members, etc.,  and to approve releases, it is quite rare.  We
should try to avoid using voting as a the "easy way out", as a
substitute for discussion, collaboration and consensus building.  But
in the end, voting is is a tool that exists if honest attempts at
consensus building have reached an impasse.

Consider:  when you have a close vote like this, you have many people
who are not happy with the results.  If we reach consensus on
something, then we're all happy, or at last no one is very upset.  So
it is always better to take the extra effort to reach consensus.  The
project is healthier when we're happy with the decision making
process.

-Rob

Posted by Wolf Halton <wo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
On 2011-11-17 5:06 AM, tora - Takamichi Akiyama wrote:
> Could you take account of voter turnout for the PPMC?
> And take the sampling error into account for the others?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_error

This is not a poll or sampling of some large population.  This is a vote
amongst the Podling Project Management Committee members of the Apache
OpenOffice (Incubating) podling.  Only PPMC votes are binding.

The fact that we allow other, non-PPMC members to express opinions or
cast +1/-1 votes in no way means that we're attempting an accurate
sample of all users.  Only the votes of PPMC members count towards the
actual decisions.

This is a critical point to understand about how Apache projects are
run.  While we appreciate feedback, suggestions, and contributions from
all of our users, the individuals who have shown merit on the project
and have officially been voted in as committers or PPMC members are the
ones who make final decisions on the project.

- Shane

Posted by tora - Takamichi Akiyama <to...@openoffice.org>.

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.