Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Henrik Bentel <hb...@comcast.net> on 2003/08/11 20:15:19 UTC

better configuration for Apache and Tomcat?

Hi

I"m having some performance problems with my apache/tomcat setup and I'm
looking for ideas.
first, my setup.
I'm running apache 2 with tomcat 4.1.24, mod_jk2. My webapp serves content
over both http and https. 1 coyote connector is used to handle both secure
and unsecure requests. Static content is served by apache, dynamic content
by my webapp. I have 2 virtual hosts in apache, one for http and on for
https. mod_jk2 loadmodule is declared in root host of apache, along with
all directory directives for static content. the 2 virtualhosts(ip based)
does very little. The https virtual host uses pretty much the default
configuration that comes with the source(some basic sessioncache, really
long chiperSuite directive and so on). Certificate is self signed based on
1024 bit RSA key.

Now, even when I'm just loadtesting retrieval of an image(which should
involve apache only), I see a lot of mod_jk errors of "can't find child in
scoreboard"?? And, even when removing mod_jk the performance stinks.

So what I'm looking for is the following:
1. A way to "not have connector involved" if request is only for static
resources.
2. If request is for static resource(art, css, javascripts, which all have
a defined alias and directory directive) ssl check should become really
lax, no checking for much. I don't want to generate absolute URLs in my
pages so that they can be retrieved over http, was hoping there was a way
in apache to do this.(yes, I probably should have asked this in mod_ssl
user group, but if anybody here konws.... a lot easier)
3. more of a question: should I configure 2 coyote connectors, one for http
and one for https in tomcat? Even when apache is doing all the certificate
management?

hope someone can help
Henrik Bentel