Posted to users@ws.apache.org by "Bellekens, P.A.E." <P....@TUE.nl> on 2006/07/25 12:19:58 UTC

Regular errors

Hi all!

I am using xmlrpc 3.0b1 quite extensively the last week, but I must say
that it throws quite a lot of exceptions, quite regularly.

I am not pushing the protocol with like 100 calls per second, but I have
something like 5 calls per second in the worst case.

Exceptions I get a lot:

On the server ******************************************************

25-jul-2006 12:02:57 org.apache.xmlrpc.server.XmlRpcStreamServer execute
SEVERE: execute: Error while performing request
org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcException: Failed to parse XML-RPC request: The
root element is required in a well-formed document.
	at
org.apache.xmlrpc.server.XmlRpcStreamServer.getRequest(XmlRpcStreamServe
r.java:66)
	at
org.apache.xmlrpc.server.XmlRpcStreamServer.execute(XmlRpcStreamServer.j
ava:181)
	at
org.apache.xmlrpc.webserver.Connection.run(Connection.java:175)
	at
org.apache.xmlrpc.util.ThreadPool$MyThread.runTask(ThreadPool.java:71)
	at
org.apache.xmlrpc.util.ThreadPool$MyThread.run(ThreadPool.java:87)
Caused by:
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The root element is required in a
well-formed document.
	at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.reportError(XMLParser.java:1213)
	at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.reportFatalXMLError(XMLDo
cumentScanner.java:570)
	at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner$XMLDeclDispatcher.endOfIn
put(XMLDocumentScanner.java:790)
	at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.endOfInput(XMLDocumentSca
nner.java:418)
	at
org.apache.xerces.validators.common.XMLValidator.sendEndOfInputNotificat
ions(XMLValidator.java:712)
	at
org.apache.xerces.readers.DefaultEntityHandler.changeReaders(DefaultEnti
tyHandler.java:1031)
	at
org.apache.xerces.readers.XMLEntityReader.changeReaders(XMLEntityReader.
java:168)
	at
org.apache.xerces.readers.UTF8Reader.changeReaders(UTF8Reader.java:182)
	at
org.apache.xerces.readers.UTF8Reader.lookingAtChar(UTF8Reader.java:197)
	at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner$XMLDeclDispatcher.dispatc
h(XMLDocumentScanner.java:686)
	at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.parseSome(XMLDocumentScan
ner.java:381)
	at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:1098)
	at
org.apache.xmlrpc.server.XmlRpcStreamServer.getRequest(XmlRpcStreamServe
r.java:60)
	at
org.apache.xmlrpc.server.XmlRpcStreamServer.execute(XmlRpcStreamServer.j
ava:181)
	at
org.apache.xmlrpc.webserver.Connection.run(Connection.java:175)
	at
org.apache.xmlrpc.util.ThreadPool$MyThread.runTask(ThreadPool.java:71)
	at
org.apache.xmlrpc.util.ThreadPool$MyThread.run(ThreadPool.java:87)

While this gives at the client *************************************

[Fatal Error] :-1:-1: Premature end of file.
Exception: org.apache.xmlrpc.client.XmlRpcClientException: Failed to
parse servers response: Premature end of file.

Another exception which is thrown quite often is:

On the server ******************************************************

25-jul-2006 12:14:07 org.apache.xmlrpc.webserver.WebServer log
SEVERE: GET
org.apache.xmlrpc.webserver.Connection$BadRequestException: GET
	at
org.apache.xmlrpc.webserver.Connection.getRequestConfig(Connection.java:
139)
	at
org.apache.xmlrpc.webserver.Connection.run(Connection.java:171)
	at
org.apache.xmlrpc.util.ThreadPool$MyThread.runTask(ThreadPool.java:71)
	at
org.apache.xmlrpc.util.ThreadPool$MyThread.run(ThreadPool.java:87)

Can you maybe tell me what the limits of the protocol are?
Or what causes these errors and if there might be a solution or
workaround?

Greetz
p.

Re: Regular errors

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I am sorry, but I am unable to guess any reason for your problems. On
the other hand, you don't provide sufficient information.

First of all, a general guideline: If you are using the thing with so
much load, then I'd definitely recommend that you use a fully blown
servlet engine like Tomcat or Jetty and not the Webserver class.
However, the problems may as well be caused by the general XML-RPC
framework and not by the Webserver class.

Do you have the possibility to install a packet sniffer like Wireshark
(Ethereal) on the machine? If so, I suggest that you trace the network
traffic. If so, you can use a line like

> 25-jul-2006 12:02:57 org.apache.xmlrpc.server.XmlRpcStreamServer execute

to identify a request which has caused the error by using the
timestamp. The important question is whether the client has sent well
formed XML or not.

> While this gives at the client *************************************
>
> [Fatal Error] :-1:-1: Premature end of file.
> Exception: org.apache.xmlrpc.client.XmlRpcClientException: Failed to
> parse servers response: Premature end of file.

Same question here.

> 25-jul-2006 12:14:07 org.apache.xmlrpc.webserver.WebServer log
> SEVERE: GET
> org.apache.xmlrpc.webserver.Connection$BadRequestException: GET

And again.

--
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the
majority, it is time to pause and reflect.