Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it> on 2014/08/24 10:27:09 UTC

LCR in Eclipse without Sysdeo plugin

Hi everybody I'm a former user of T4 but for many reasons independent
from my will, I had to abandon Tapestry a few years ago, while I'm still
maintaining some web applications.

Now I want to step into T5 and I'm following the tutorial.
I have set up under Eclipse and successfully running the tutorial.
Before going further I would like to be sure LCR works (because actually
doesn't).

I have read the Kalle page on setting up tomcat but I would like to
avoid the use of Sysdeo, because I use Eclipse+Tomcat for other
applications and I'm used to launch Tomcat  via Eclipse Debug
Configuration.

My question is: can I achieve LCR wihtout Sysdeo? Would it be enough to
deploy devloader in Tomcat lib ?

TIA

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa
Via Gereschi 36 - 56126- Pisa
tel.: +39-050- 580959
tel/fax: +39-050-9711344
web: www.archicoop.it

Re: LCR in Eclipse without Sysdeo plugin

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christian,

It'd be nice if you could summarize the steps how you set up your
development environment in the form of a blog post or a wiki page.

Similar to what Kalle did with Eclipse+Sysdeo:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/TYNAMO/Developing+with+Tomcat+and+Eclipse

It'd really help the community.

Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: LCR in Eclipse without Sysdeo plugin

Posted by Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it>.
Hi Christian, it seems to work: I used the tutorial T5 project created
following the tutorial on T5 web site. Then i have configured my Tomca
runtime in eclipde checking "serve modules without publishing"  and
unchecking  "Modules auto-reload by default"
then modified on the fly the index.java file and modification have been
taken into account without reloading

Many thanks

BTW to verify this works on old versions of Eclipse+Tomcat+Java combo I
verified your suggestions  with Eclipse Juno+Tomcat6+Java 6

Il 25/08/2014 10:29, Christian Dutaret ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>
> I've seen a lot of people claiming that one should use Sysdeo plugin to
> work with Tomcat under eclipse/Maven for T5 development, and that the
> standard WTP plugin should be avoided, because it is supposedly buggy and
> slow.
> I've been using WTP plugin for years with other frameworks (including T4),
> and I have no problem at all using it for T5 web apps, as long as it is
> properly configured. I have live class reloading working, Maven
> dependencies picked up just fine, and no Tomcat restarts (and no devloader
> to configure).
>
> I f anyone is interested,

I am

> here is my configuration (using Tomcat 8 and
> latest Eclipse Luna, but should also work with older versions) :
> - plugins: WTP, m2e, m2e-wtp (but they all come with the Eclipse for JEE
> build)

ok

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Christian Dutaret <cd...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Kalle, that's the whole point - I think - of the "serve modules without
> publishing" option. It just takes the resources from the eclipse target
> directory instead of copying things around.

Thanks Christian. I'll have to check out the native Eclipse option myself
then.

Kalle

Posted by Christian Dutaret <cd...@gmail.com>.
Ivano, glad I could help.

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Dutaret <cd...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it>.

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it>.

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 07:35:45 -0300, Muhammad Gelbana <m....@gmail.com>
wrote:

> What do you mean by LCR ? You can use
> https://code.google.com/p/run-jetty-run/

+1 for RunJettyRun.

> It offers server automatic restart for the server when the code is
> changed.

Tapestry's live class reloading works without a server restart: otherwise,
it wouldn't be live class reloading at all.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://machina.com.br

Re: LCR in Eclipse without Sysdeo plugin

Posted by Chris Mylonas <ch...@opencsta.org>.

Posted by Chris Mylonas <ch...@opencsta.org>.
OK, thanks for follow up.  I'll try manually downloading to force it and do
the eclipse test tomorrow.

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Mylonas <ch...@opencsta.org>.
just from the command line.
Same environment as before, fresh mvn generate, 5.4b6, 5.2.6 also don't LCR
from command line "mvn clean jetty:run"
5.1.0.5 doesn't build anymore, sic  "Error unzipping tapestry-core.jar"

I'm downloading eclipse atm, making a coffee. Will let you know in the
afternoon (Sydney) if I have better luck because it is a feature that I
would like to re-use especially with all my bootstrap template
experimenting and javascript api testing.

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Mylonas <ch...@opencsta.org>.
Confirming it is failing with a fresh mvn generate and jetty:run from the
command line.

Snippets follow - jdk1.7, reload mechanic = automatic in jetty, dev mode is
on, osx 10.9.4

Changing the java class to read "CM Increment clicked" doesn't get updated.
Changing the tml file to "increment normal" for the link doesn't get
updated.

neither of these options help either.

 mvn -Djetty.reload=manual jetty:run

mvn -Djetty.reload=automatic -Djetty.scanIntervalSeconds=2 jetty:run

LCR isn't working for me.

Mylos-CPU:t5jpa mylo$ java -version

java version "1.7.0_55"

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.55-b03, mixed mode)

[INFO] Configuring Jetty for project: t5jpa Tapestry 5 Application

[INFO] Webapp source directory = /Users/mylo/Dev/t5jpa/src/main/webapp

[INFO] Reload Mechanic: automatic

[INFO] web.xml file = /Users/mylo/Dev/t5jpa/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml

[INFO] Classes = /Users/mylo/Dev/t5jpa/target/classes

[INFO] Logging to org.slf4j.impl.SimpleLogger(org.mortbay.log) via
org.mortbay.log.Slf4jLog

[INFO] Context path = /t5jpa

[INFO] Tmp directory =  determined at runtime

[INFO] Web defaults = org/mortbay/jetty/webapp/webdefault.xml

[INFO] Web overrides =  none

[INFO] Webapp directory = /Users/mylo/Dev/t5jpa/src/main/webapp

[INFO] Starting jetty 6.1.16 ...

 ______                  __             ____

/_  __/__ ____  ___ ___ / /_______ __  / __/

 / / / _ `/ _ \/ -_|_-</ __/ __/ // / /__ \

/_/  \_,_/ .__/\__/___/\__/_/  \_, / /____/

        /_/                   /___/  5.3.7 (development mode)

[INFO] Started SelectChannelConnector@0.0.0.0:8080

[INFO] Started Jetty Server

[INFO] AppModule.TimingFilter Request time: 1421 ms

Posted by Chris Mylonas <ch...@opencsta.org>.

Posted by Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it>.
Ola' Thiago!

Il 25/08/2014 01:28, Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo ha scritto:

>>  isn't that an official page?
>
> Yes, it is. But that doesn't mean I have all the official pages. :p

No but you have to admit this is not the least important one about LCR :-)

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 17:31:50 -0300, Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it>
wrote:

> Hi Thiago

Ciao, Ivano!

Posted by Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it>.
Hi Thiago

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 08:27:21 -0300, Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it>
wrote:

> And I forget to say I want to use Tomcat (this is why I mentioned the
> Sysdeo plugin)

Regardless of what you're using, for live class reloading to work you need
to configure your setup to automatically recompile classes when saved and
automatically copy the updated .class files to the classpath. RunJettyRun
does all that automatically, no configuration needed. For Tomcat, I don't
know what the options are, because I don't care for Tomcat the least.

Posted by Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it>.
Hi Muhammad, I have used the acronym found in Tapestry docs: Live Class
Reloading.

Posted by Muhammad Gelbana <m....@gmail.com>.