Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by Stefano Fornari <st...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/29 08:40:38 UTC

Help on 1.4/1.5

Dear dev,
in issue TIKA-1179 I was suggested to contribute to tika 1.5 to speed up
the release of the fix. I plan to use tika and I'll be happy to contribute
something back. Is there anything simple I can start with? How the
contribution process looks like?

Alternatively, I would backport the fix to 1.4 so that we could release a
1.4.1 quickly. What do you think?

Thanks in advance,

--
Ste

Re: Help on 1.4/1.5

Posted by David Meikle <lo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stefano,

On 29 Dec 2013, at 11:46, Stefano Fornari <st...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Ok, sounds good. I may take TIKA-1078<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-1078>;
> maybe it is not the most interesting one, but since I am not familiar with
> tika hacking, it could be a good starting point.

Nice one. Feel free to post questions if you have them, we’re a friendly bunch :-)

>> Alternatively, I would backport the fix to 1.4 so that we could release a
>>> 1.4.1 quickly. What do you think?
>>
>> With a release for 1.5 potentially just around the corner, my opinion
>> would be that I think it would be better to focus on addressing anything
>> that blocks releasing that instead of creating a back-port and then going
>> through the release process for 1.4.1.
>>
> I tend to agree, but IMHO this really depends on when 1.5 is foreseeable.
> If it takes still some while, or it is still undefined, it may make sense
> release an update to 1.4. At the end it is out with a quite remarkable bug
> and the only fix at the moment is to build a new 1.5 SNAPSHOT. What do the
> others think?

I take your point on this as well - will be interesting to see what others think and happy to go with consensus. In terms of the 1.5 release getting out, it is up to us - the Tika community - to define if it is ready to ship or not.  It may be simplest to take a view at the end of the DISCUSS thread I posted earlier to see how close we are to a 1.5 RC?

Cheers,
Dave

Re: Help on 1.4/1.5

Posted by Stefano Fornari <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave,
thanks for your replay, please see my comments inline.

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 10:48 AM, David Meikle <lo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In terms of the 1.5 release, it is down to the community in that we need
> to take a wee vote on if we are ready for one and agree if there is
> anything else that needs fixed or included in it.  There is a lot of issues
> marked as resolved but also 22 open[3], so there may be something you think
> you can contribute to in that list by means of a patch.

Chris was talking about spinning one up once he had a few free cycles but
> to kick the ball rolling I will start by putting out an email on what to
> include.
>
> Ok, sounds good. I may take TIKA-1078<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-1078>;
maybe it is not the most interesting one, but since I am not familiar with
tika hacking, it could be a good starting point.

> Alternatively, I would backport the fix to 1.4 so that we could release a
> > 1.4.1 quickly. What do you think?
>
> With a release for 1.5 potentially just around the corner, my opinion
> would be that I think it would be better to focus on addressing anything
> that blocks releasing that instead of creating a back-port and then going
> through the release process for 1.4.1.

I tend to agree, but IMHO this really depends on when 1.5 is foreseeable.
If it takes still some while, or it is still undefined, it may make sense
release an update to 1.4. At the end it is out with a quite remarkable bug
and the only fix at the moment is to build a new 1.5 SNAPSHOT. What do the
others think?

Thanks again,
--
Ste

Re: Help on 1.4/1.5

Posted by David Meikle <lo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stefano,

On 29 Dec 2013, at 07:40, Stefano Fornari <st...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear dev,
> in issue TIKA-1179 I was suggested to contribute to tika 1.5 to speed up
> the release of the fix. I plan to use tika and I'll be happy to contribute
> something back. Is there anything simple I can start with? How the
> contribution process looks like?

Thanks for your interest in getting involved with Tika!

Helping out here at Tika can manifest in many different ways depending on your skills - joining and interacting on the user and developer mail lists, improving the Wiki, provide patches for documentation, collaborating on the issue tracker[1] or submit code patches.  There is also a good guide if you are new to Apache Software Foundation[2].

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA
[2] https://www.apache.org/foundation/getinvolved.html
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20TIKA%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%221.5%22%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Open%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC