Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by OOzy Pal <oo...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/24 19:24:44 UTC

Where is my Tomcat

Guys/Gals,

I am running (K)ubuntu. I installed the following packages:

Apache 1.3 connector for the Tomcat Java servlet engine
Servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2 Java classes and documentation
Servlet 2.4 and JSP 2.0 Java classes and documentation
Java Servlet engine -- core libraries (libtomcat5)
Java Servlet 2.4 engine with JSP 2.0 support (tomcat5)
Java Servlet engine -- admin web interfaces(tomcat5-admin)
Sun Java(TM) Development Kit (JDK) 5.0
Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0

plus other Java libs,

Then I type

$sudo /etc/init.d/tomcat5 start

I get:

Starting Tomcat 5 servlet engine using Java from /usr/lib/j2se/1.4:

when I type:

sudo /usr/share/tomcat5/bin/startup.sh

I get:

Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/share/tomcat5
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/share/tomcat5
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat5/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.06/

$netstat -l -t -e | grep tomcat

I get nothing.

When I type

$sudo /etc/init.d/tomcat5 stop

I get

Stopping Tomcat 5 servlet engine: (not running)

Where is my tomcat how can I run it and test it?

--
OOzy
Kubuntu-Dapper

Re: Where is my Tomcat

Posted by Steve Ochani <oc...@ncc.edu>.
On 24 Jul 2006 at 20:53, OOzy Pal wrote:

> On 7/24/06, Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 7/24/06, OOzy Pal <oo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > After searching the archive, I checked catalina.out and here is
> > > the log
> > >
> > > The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
> > > This environment variable is needed to run this program
> > > NB: JAVA_HOME should point to a JDK not a JRE
> > >
> > > hmm, where is my JDK, I installed it.

--snip--

> Where should I look for? I did this
>
> $ slcoate -u
>
> then
>
> slocate jdk
>
> I got so many /usr/share/doc kinda files?
>
> How can I find my JDK?

Try
which javac

if not found then.

Try running
javac -version
from the command line, if you can run it then it has to be in your path, search those path
directories with find.

I know you're not going to like this but I would advise to unload all the packages, download
and instal the jdk from sun manually and tomcat from apache.org. It's really not that hard and
it would give you some practice in using your system which it seems like you need (no
offense intended)

-Steve O.

Steve O.
http://www.steveo.us

Maui Vacation Pics.
http://steveo.us/maui/

B17G and B24
http://www.steveo.us/B17-B24

B17G WWII Bomber "Yankee Lady" Flight
http://www.steveo.us/b17ride

SUNY NCC MATH/COMPUTER Dept.
http://www.matcmp.ncc.edu

Re: Where is my Tomcat

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On 7/24/06, OOzy Pal <oo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > This is the reason people who use "installers" need to become very
> > proficient with the "find" command :-)

> How can I find my JDK?

Uh, did I mention the "find" command????

Start with `man find`, perhaps.

And I heartily second rthe recommendation to uninstall all this stuff
and install the JDK and Tomcat from tar files...

Good luck,

Re: Where is my Tomcat

Posted by OOzy Pal <oo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Where is my Tomcat

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.

Re: Where is my Tomcat

Posted by OOzy Pal <oo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Where is my Tomcat

Posted by edward <ed...@copyweb.co.uk>.
OOzy Pal wrote:

> Guys/Gals,
>
> I am running (K)ubuntu. I installed the following packages:
>
> Apache 1.3 connector for the Tomcat Java servlet engine
> Servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2 Java classes and documentation
> Servlet 2.4 and JSP 2.0 Java classes and documentation
> Java Servlet engine -- core libraries (libtomcat5)
> Java Servlet 2.4 engine with JSP 2.0 support (tomcat5)
> Java Servlet engine -- admin web interfaces(tomcat5-admin)
> Sun Java(TM) Development Kit (JDK) 5.0
> Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0
>
> plus other Java libs,
>
> Then I type
>
> $sudo /etc/init.d/tomcat5 start
>
> I get:
>
> Starting Tomcat 5 servlet engine using Java from /usr/lib/j2se/1.4:
>
> when I type:
>
> sudo /usr/share/tomcat5/bin/startup.sh
>
> I get:
>
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/share/tomcat5
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/share/tomcat5
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat5/temp
> Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.06/
>
> $netstat -l -t -e | grep tomcat
>
> I get nothing.
>
> When I type
>
> $sudo /etc/init.d/tomcat5 stop
>
> I get
>
> Stopping Tomcat 5 servlet engine: (not running)
>
> Where is my tomcat how can I run it and test it?

it appears not to have started, so have a look at the log file(s)
(catalina.out probably, and probably  in /var/log/tomcat5 where it is
symlinked from your installation directory) and see where it fell over.

to find it, if it is running, point a browser at it - it's a server,
innit.  probably at http://localhost:8080/ but maybe the debian tomcat
packages uses port 8180 instead. Look at your server.xml file to see
where it has specified the catalina connector to run.