Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com> on 2004/12/05 09:21:20 UTC

[OT] HaD, JMX MLet and core Struts hot deploy

Those on the dev list whom have been secretly corresponding with me
about HaD and Struts 2.0 hot deploy can find the latest at
http://131.191.32.112:8080/hot_deploy.zip.  I have discovered that the
solution is essentially a much more lightweight version of JMX MLet
for hot deploy widely used in various frameworks.  Scarey how close
the HotDeployObjectServer is to MLet, actually.  Using WeakHashMap and
URLClassLoader is the key in both cases.

The classes are now:

com/crackwillow/deploy/
    Point
    Id
    HotDeployObjectServer
com/crackwillow/point/
    Point
com/crackwillow/point/impl/com/crackwillow/point/
    PointImpl
com/crackwillow/state/
    StateContainer

StateContainer should probably go into com/crackwillow/deploy.  There
is a tester class at com/crackwillow/testing/PointClientTester.

If there are any questions, please contact me off list.  Thanks.

Jack

~Native Proverb~

Re: [OT] HaD, JMX MLet and core Struts hot deploy

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.
By the way, the HotDeployObjectServer can be made generic for all
classes with the new Tiger JVM classes.  This means that hot deploy
will require in HaD only one extra class, viz. the wrapper class
com.crackwillow.deploy.Point, which perhaps should be called
com.crackwillow.deploy.PointWrapper or PointDeploy.  The wrapper class
has a standard relationship to the interface, so there would actually
be no need to write any extra classes at all, having the server
automatically write the wrappers on startup would be easy.

Start two threads and run the example in one while changing move(int
x, int y) in PointImpl and compiling to see the hot deploy work.

Jack

[LAST ENTRY IN THIS THREAD]

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 00:21:20 -0800, Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Those on the dev list whom have been secretly corresponding with me
> about HaD and Struts 2.0 hot deploy can find the latest at
> http://131.191.32.112:8080/hot_deploy.zip.  I have discovered that the
> solution is essentially a much more lightweight version of JMX MLet
> for hot deploy widely used in various frameworks.  Scarey how close
> the HotDeployObjectServer is to MLet, actually.  Using WeakHashMap and
> URLClassLoader is the key in both cases.
>
> The classes are now:
>
> com/crackwillow/deploy/
>     Point
>     Id
>     HotDeployObjectServer
> com/crackwillow/point/
>     Point
> com/crackwillow/point/impl/com/crackwillow/point/
>     PointImpl
> com/crackwillow/state/
>     StateContainer
>
> StateContainer should probably go into com/crackwillow/deploy.  There
> is a tester class at com/crackwillow/testing/PointClientTester.
>
> If there are any questions, please contact me off list.  Thanks.
>
> Jack
>
> --
>
> "You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep."
>
> ~Native Proverb~
>
> "Each man is good in His sight. It is not necessary for eagles to be crows."
>
> ~Hunkesni (Sitting Bull), Hunkpapa Sioux~

~Native Proverb~