Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Johnson, S" <sj...@edina.k12.mn.us> on 2007/01/23 17:45:44 UTC

market buy with image

I've got a particular type of spam that is driving me nuts here.  It's
the same type of message coming from many different servers (I'm not
sure how many yet, but the first 8 messages of this type I've looked at
are all different).  Basically, each message has a random subject
followed by a small jumbled paragraph then there is an image with the
message "investor alert, stock symbol, etc..." (Are people really that
stupid to invest into something like this? =O) and finally another
jumbled paragraph.

When I looked up the IP addresses in the RBLs, they all are free and
clear.  I was thinking about adding in a optical recognition but there's
"noise" in the image that may make it hard for the program to read.

I'm sure we're not the only ones receiving this type of spam... What are
people doing to stop it?

RE: Re[2]: market buy with image

Posted by R Lists06 <li...@abbacomm.net>.

> My rules are very aggressive, but they can and possibly will cause
> FP's!!  As soon as 3.2 is released, those rules of mine that survive
> the rescoring and mass-check runs will be included in the stock rules!
>
> Frederic Tarasevicius

Good lookin' out Frederic

Will you please keep us posted as that happens so that those of us that are
old enough and have the "sometimers" disease will remember to deal with the
resultant issues?

Sometimes I remember, sometimes I dont

:-)

 - rh

--
Robert - Abba Communications
   Computer & Internet Services

Re[2]: market buy with image

Posted by Fred T <sp...@freddyt.com>.
Hello R,

Re[2]: market buy with image

Posted by Fred T <sp...@freddyt.com>.
Hello Henrik,

> I tried File001 some time ago, and didn't need wait long for FPs. The scores
> are way too high (many are 10+? whats up with that?), and the rules are
> _very_ broad. For example, just mistype "remov" or "ssex" in your mail, and
> it goes into oblivion..

Those rules (without scores) have been submitted for inclusion in 3.2,
they'll be checked and given appropriate scores in the near future.
Yes I can agree the scores are high, but it doesn't take much work to
nullify those scores with your own, the best solution here is to use
svn 3.2 and sa-update to get those of my rules that are performing
good.

--
Best regards,
 Fred                            mailto:spamassassin@freddyt.com

Re: market buy with image

Posted by Henrik Krohns <he...@stream.hege.li>.
On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 11:56:14AM -0600, Doc Schneider wrote:
> R Lists06 wrote:
> >>I'd use 00_FVGT_File001.cf which is a new file  Fred. This combines a
> >>lot of his older 88_FVGT* cf files into one.
> >>

> >>--
> >>
> >>  -Doc
> >>

> >Thanks, if anyone out there running some or a lot of the FRED rules with a
> >lot of success or should we only run certain ones in general
> >
> >Bottom line is, I don't know how aggressive or not the rulesets are etc
> >
> >Please advise and thanks!
> >

> I personally run all Fred's rules and never have seen a FP. Of course as
> with anything YMMV.

No offence to Fred, but the rules are very work-in-progress. :)

I tried File001 some time ago, and didn't need wait long for FPs. The scores
are way too high (many are 10+? whats up with that?), and the rules are
_very_ broad. For example, just mistype "remov" or "ssex" in your mail, and
it goes into oblivion..

Cheers,
Henrik

Re: market buy with image

Posted by Doc Schneider <ma...@maddoc.net>.
R Lists06 wrote:
>> I'd use 00_FVGT_File001.cf which is a new file  Fred. This combines a
>> lot of his older 88_FVGT* cf files into one.
>>

>> --
>>
>>   -Doc
>>

> Thanks, if anyone out there running some or a lot of the FRED rules with a
> lot of success or should we only run certain ones in general
>
> Bottom line is, I don't know how aggressive or not the rulesets are etc
>
> Please advise and thanks!

I personally run all Fred's rules and never have seen a FP. Of course as
with anything YMMV.

--

  -Doc

  SA/SARE -- Ninja
   11:52am  up 9 days, 20:50, 15 users,  load average: 0.78, 0.89, 1.20

  SARE HQ  http://www.rulesemporium.com/

RE: market buy with image

Posted by R Lists06 <li...@abbacomm.net>.

Re: market buy with image

Posted by Doc Schneider <ma...@maddoc.net>.
R Lists06 wrote:
> By fred rules, do you mean by Fred Tarasevicius
>
> Which specific fred rules are the best by experience?
>
> Thanks!

I'd use 00_FVGT_File001.cf which is a new file  Fred. This combines a
lot of his older 88_FVGT* cf files into one.

--

  -Doc

  SA/SARE/URIBL/SURBL -- Ninja
   11:08am  up 9 days, 20:06, 15 users,  load average: 0.37, 0.84, 0.79

  SARE HQ  http://www.rulesemporium.com/

RE: market buy with image

RE: market buy with image

Posted by "Martin.Hepworth" <ma...@solidstatelogic.com>.
Hi

The sare and fred rules from www.rulesemporium.com are useful here.

Also DCC pyzor and razor2 can help.

Also make sure you've sa-updated the latest 3.1.7 core rules as these
have some tuning to help..

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator
> I've got a particular type of spam that is driving me nuts here.  It's
the
> same type of message coming from many different servers (I'm not sure
how
> many yet, but the first 8 messages of this type I've looked at are all
> different).  Basically, each message has a random subject followed by
> small jumbled paragraph then there is an image with the message
"investor
> alert, stock symbol, etc..." (Are people really that stupid to invest
into
> something like this? =O) and finally another jumbled paragraph.
>

> When I looked up the IP addresses in the RBLs, they all are free and
> clear.  I was thinking about adding in a optical recognition but
there's
> "noise" in the image that may make it hard for the program to read.
>

> I'm sure we're not the only ones receiving this type of spam... What
are
> people doing to stop it?

Red Lion 49 Ltd T/A Solid State Logic
(Company No:5362730)