Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by tek0011 <th...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/22 11:50:52 UTC

SSH/TELNET - Horizontal Wrapping

Is there a way in Guac to make it so the telnet/ssh output doesn't wrap, but
instead uses as much horizontal space as it needs?

As far as I know even Putty doesn't do this.  The only program I've seen do
this is SecureCRT.   We want to move all 3,000+ of our servers to
guacamole, but no one wants to use it if the output will wrap.

I know you can just make the window larger, and span it over multiple
monitors, but we have some ouput that is longer than 5-6 monitors.  People
are wondering if there is a way to make it so guac doesn't wrap the output
and to have a horizontal scroll bar on the bottom.

Thanks

Re: SSH/TELNET - Horizontal Wrapping

Posted by tek0011 <th...@gmail.com>.
Most telnet/ssh sessions we connect to have extremely long tables.  Hence,
why our entire company uses SecureCRT, because it is the only client
available that can prevent wrapping.  Sure putty works, and so does Guac.
As you can see though, for our output, its not ideal and almost unreadable.

http://i.imgur.com/WZ9Aj8S.png

There is a massive hole for clients that can handle no-wrap.  Honestly..
I've been looking for one, aside from SecureCRT, for at least 9 years.
Nothing :(  Would be an amazing feature.

Re: SSH/TELNET - Horizontal Wrapping

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.
The scrollbar, scrollback buffer, etc. is actually implemented server-side
for both SSH and telnet. It's part of the terminal emulator implemented
within guacamole-server. Adding support for horizontal scrolling would be
possible, but it would require changes to the terminal emulator itself.

Horizontal scrolling is rare. I've personally not seen terminal emulators
which do this, and doing so would break assumptions made by terminal
applications regarding line wrapping vs. terminal width. I'd also be
worried about what the inherent danger of allowing effectively infinite
width for each terminal line. It would need to be limited somehow.

- Mike