Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Hari Krishna Korrapati <ha...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/10 14:54:21 UTC

Need your suggestions...

Hi Experts,

We have list of J2EE application (components
Servlets,JSP,Struts,EJB,Hibernate) currently running on Websphere WAS4.0.5
with JDK1.3.

Our plan is to Migrate to Apache Geronimo application server with latest JDK
whatever it supports.

Currently few migrated to Apache Geronimo 1.1.1.

What are the future releases are going to be and time plan/special features.

Want to know any tools available to automate the migration process or can we
customize.

What are the Best Practices and Approaches for migration

Your thoughts are highly valuable.

Hari

Re: Need your suggestions...

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
On Feb 18, 2007, at 1:34 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2007, at 9:32 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>

>> On Feb 10, 2007, at 8:54 AM, Hari Krishna Korrapati wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Experts,
>>>

>>> We have list of J2EE application (components
>>> Servlets,JSP,Struts,EJB,Hibernate) currently running on Websphere
>>> WAS4.0.5 with JDK1.3.
>>>
>>> Our plan is to Migrate to Apache Geronimo application server with
>>> latest JDK whatever it supports.
>>>
>>> Currently few migrated to Apache Geronimo 1.1.1.
>>>

>>> What are the future releases are going to be and time plan/
>>> special features.
>> We are working on Geronimo 2.0 which is Java EE 5.0.  The current
>> work on the J2EE 1.4 is Geronimo 1.2 which is currently in beta
>> and available from http://geronimo.apache.org/downloads.html
>>

>>> Want to know any tools available to automate the migration
>>> process or can we customize.
>>
>> From WebSphere not really.  There are some limited conversion
>> tools available but w don't have a comprehensive conversion
>> suite.  Help would be excellent.
>>
>>> What are the Best Practices and Approaches for migration
>>
>> It depends on the nature of the application you are converting.
>> For the Application you described above it sounds like choosing
>> Apache Geronimo 1.2-beta would be a good choice.   If you need
>> CORBA you will have to use the Sun JDK.
>
> I'm not sure why you say this.  AFAIK we haven't tried any other
> jdks but yoko should run fine in any 1.4+ jdk.

Because Yoko wasn't functional in the 1.2-beta

Re: Need your suggestions...

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Need your suggestions...

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
On Feb 10, 2007, at 8:54 AM, Hari Krishna Korrapati wrote:

> Hi Experts,
>

> We have list of J2EE application (components
> Servlets,JSP,Struts,EJB,Hibernate) currently running on Websphere
> WAS4.0.5 with JDK1.3.
>
> Our plan is to Migrate to Apache Geronimo application server with
> latest JDK whatever it supports.
>
> Currently few migrated to Apache Geronimo 1.1.1.
>

> What are the future releases are going to be and time plan/special
> features.
We are working on Geronimo 2.0 which is Java EE 5.0.  The current
work on the J2EE 1.4 is Geronimo 1.2 which is currently in beta and
available from http://geronimo.apache.org/downloads.html

> Want to know any tools available to automate the migration process
> or can we customize.

 From WebSphere not really.  There are some limited conversion tools
available but w don't have a comprehensive conversion suite.  Help
would be excellent.

> What are the Best Practices and Approaches for migration

It depends on the nature of the application you are converting.  For
the Application you described above it sounds like choosing Apache
Geronimo 1.2-beta would be a good choice.   If you need CORBA you
will have to use the Sun JDK.   If not, then I think just about any