Posted to couchapp@couchdb.apache.org by Johs Ensby <jo...@b2w.com> on 2018/07/06 13:57:52 UTC

Re: [PROPOSAL] Officially deprecate CouchDB 1.x.

-1

A sunsetting discussion is very welcome, but this proposal is unclear,
based on week arguments and a lack of data, and as decision support
not the best of proposals.

1) To "table" a propoal for voting is problematic
Joan specifically reference "non-US" meaning of the "table", which means
"to begin consideration (or reconsideration) of a proposal". When listing
what this proposal means i 4 points, her point 1 is the premature "kill swtich".
It blocks any new or inactive developers from contributing.
A proposal that is "tabled" should be revised before voted on, or you run
the risk that it is a pure developer-centric decision.

2) Lack of data
To use demand for support as a measure of usage can be misleading. 1.x
users face less problems, therefore they are the easiest to support.
As a minimum, the results from the recent survey should be presented to
verify the support for abanoning 1.x at this stage.
It would also be interesting to actively check the status of some hailmark
installations like the npm Registry.

3) Lack of logic
The argument for dropping 1.x is that:
"No one is maintaining the 1.x.x branches..
By focusing [...] we can improve our release cadence"
This makes no sense. There are no resources to reallocate to 2.x "to push
releases quickly out the door."

"avoid misleading our user base with false promises"
To my knowledge, no promises have been made and complaints aired.
Right now the couchdb github repo has 133 issues open 358 closed,
11 of them have 1.x tag. (2 closed). That is
All the 1.x tickets could be closed with a "known issues note" explaining
the decision to focus on 2.x issues. There are no red tag 1.x issues.

Conclusion
Tabeling a proposal that means:  "The Apache CouchDB project will no
longer make new 1.x releases." is not tabeling at all. It is a far-reaching,
irreversible decision and to "sweethen" it with promises to endorce a new
team or a thousand forks is really backwards.
The discussion should be summed up in a final propsal whch is a less
drastic sunsetting proposal to avoid spreading uncertainty amoung users
and those that, while 2.x is still not bug-free, are making a forward-looking
decision on what DB system to choose.

Johs

PS:
all my opinions are IMHO, and I appreciate the efforts of the 2.x team
very much