Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Bulba007 <bu...@wp.pl> on 2003/07/13 01:57:32 UTC

must I use mod-perl

When must I to use mod_perl? It is necessary?

B.

Re: must I use mod-perl

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@comcast.net>.
From: "Oskar" <ok...@centrum.cz>

> Install it if you have a lot of time. It took me week to config it and month
> for rewritting scripts.

A RedHat 7.3 install with current updates should run mod_perl nicely
with only the changes to httpd.conf to load the dso and use it as
a handler.

However, as to whether you need it or not, performance is the main
issue.   As a rule of thumb, I'd plan to install it for anything where you
expect 10 hits a second or more to a perl script or where the script
is slow to start because it is large or needs a database connection.

---
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell@comcast.net

Re: must I use mod-perl

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Dennis Stout wrote:

> I downloaded source for Apache, PHP, and mod_perl and compiled it all and had
> it working in about the time it took to download it + compile time + about 5
> minutes.
>
> There is no config to mod_perl really.  Either it's there or it isn't.

True, it's very quick to install once you get the hang of it.  But let's
not _over_simplify: you _do_ have to tell Apache what URLs need to be
handled by mod_perl or it will just take up RAM and not do anything... :)

Once you have an Apache with mod_perl either (I would say preferably)
compiled in, or (I would say as a last resort) available as a loadable
module, all it takes to get mod_perl to do things for you is a simple
configuration directive or two in httpd.conf or your favourite Apache
configuration file.  Plus your Perl scripts of course.  It's all in
the documentation.

73,
Ged.

Re: must I use mod-perl

Posted by Dennis Stout <st...@stout.dyndns.org>.
> > Install it if you have a lot of time. It took me week to config it and
month
> > for rewritting scripts.
>
> If you're using a system that has some sort of packages, then there are
> probably mod_perl packages for it.  Installing mod_perl on a Debian
> GNU/Linux systems takes about as long as the download plus 1 minute.

If you know what you're doing, it doesn't take long either.

I downloaded source for Apache, PHP, and mod_perl and compiled it all and had
it working in about the time it took to download it + compile time + about 5
minutes.

There is no config to mod_perl really.  Either it's there or it isn't.

Dennis

Re: must I use mod-perl

Posted by Dave Rolsky <au...@urth.org>.
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Oskar wrote:

> Install it if you have a lot of time. It took me week to config it and month
> for rewritting scripts.

If you're using a system that has some sort of packages, then there are
probably mod_perl packages for it.  Installing mod_perl on a Debian
GNU/Linux systems takes about as long as the download plus 1 minute.

-dave

/*=======================
House Absolute Consulting
www.houseabsolute.com
=======================*/

RE: must I use mod-perl

Posted by Denis <si...@centrum.cz>.
that's the point - there is plenty of documentation. When you encounter some
problem you gotta search the docs until you find solution. Docs are pretty
long so it takes time.
Btw from what I read here it seems that it's just me who had problems with
installing mod_perl.
Oskar

On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 16:53, Oskar wrote:
> Install it if you have a lot of time. It took me week to config it and
month
> for rewritting scripts.

Oskar,

Is there something specific that would have helped you get going
faster?  Did you find the documentation you needed?

- Perrin

Re: must I use mod-perl

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.

Re: must I use mod-perl

Posted by Adrian Howard <ad...@quietstars.com>.
On Sunday, July 13, 2003, at 09:53  pm, Oskar wrote:

> Install it if you have a lot of time. It took me week to config it and
> month
> for rewritting scripts.

YMMV of course.

My first mod_perl installation took less than a day. If you're familiar
with compiling Apache and apache modules it shouldn't take much longer
than that. Tuning may take a bit longer and depends on the application.

All the code I was interesting in running under mod_perl ran
immediately under Apache::Registry or Apache::PerlRun. No script
rewriting necessary. This gave an immediate and significant performance
boost.

The code had no automated tests so it took a couple of days to verify
that it was working correctly - but that had nothing to do with
mod_perl.

The time taken to rewrite scripts to be "pure" mod_perl handlers
depends on the scripts themselves. If you have a good modular code it
can be trivial.

Adrian

Re: must I use mod-perl

Posted by Oskar <ok...@centrum.cz>.

Re: must I use mod-perl

Posted by Mustafa Tan <mu...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Bulba007,
You should use mod_perl when and if your CGI need is
more complex than a set of CGI scripts. For example
you need better performance, better control of the
whole process, such as authorization, authentication,
etc.., you need to implement real sound web
applications, etc...

mod_perl is really like the next step for the perl
CGI. If you want to be able to write web
"applications", then use mod_perl. Otherwise, I think
you are pretty much ok with CGI.

http://sbc.yahoo.com

Re: must I use mod-perl

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hello there,

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Bulba007 wrote:

> When must I to use mod_perl? It is necessary?

No, it's not necessary.

You may want to use mod_perl if you want to use Perl scripting with
the Apache Web server.  At the expense of some complexity, especially
in the installation and configuration of your server, it can provide
better performance and more control over the server than is possible
with CGI scripting.

There is a great deal of documentation available.  See the mod_perl
home page for more information: http://perl.apache.org

Because mod_perl version 2 and the documentation for it are still
works in progress, assuming that you are using Linux, at the moment I
would advise you to consider only mod_perl 1.27 or 1.28 with Apache
1.3.27 if possible.

73,
Ged.