Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com> on 2017/02/24 14:08:43 UTC

UIMA Ruta 2.5.1 vs 2.6.0

Simply put, fixing UIMA-5316 was some sort of refactoring where two
classes have been removed.

A third class was a bit extended to support the use cases of the prior
two classes. As a consequence, complete new functionality was
introduced: matching on feature values as annotation expression. And
there is only a small step toward using conditions at annotation
expressions. This is actually a functionality a user asked for in
2008/2009 or something, and there was no way at all to implement it.
Well, now after all the refactorings (especially introducing annotation
expressions), both new features are implemented almost by accident :-)

Here are two examples of what I am talking about:

Document{-> CREATE(Struct1, "a" = SW.begin == 8)};

Document{-> CREATE(Struct1, "a" = SW{REGEXP("a.*")})};

(looks trivial, but has far reaching consequences for rule engineering)

I think both features could be really useful for many users, and
therefore I will include them right now. I am also thinking about
implementing a prototype of optimization of the internal indexing based
on the type usage in the script (UIMA-5219 + UIMA-5220). And if there is
feedback, or if I have enough time to evaluate it, there is also the
memory optimization of RutaBasic.

Even with only one of these features, the next release is not a
maintenance release anymore, but a minor release. Thus, I'll skip 2.5.1
and the next RC will be 2.6.0 RC1.

Any questions/objections/opinions?

Best,

Peter

Re: UIMA Ruta 2.5.1 vs 2.6.0

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
Good point. I have planned to switch too but forgot about it.

Peter

Re: UIMA Ruta 2.5.1 vs 2.6.0

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
There is obviously a problem with my svn client. It did not add the file
but shows no diff.

I found it in the repo. Thanks Marshall.

Peter

Re: UIMA Ruta 2.5.1 vs 2.6.0

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Re: UIMA Ruta 2.5.1 vs 2.6.0