Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl> on 2014/05/28 20:50:43 UTC

Change proposal for FileInputFormat isSplitable

Hi,

Last week I ran into this problem again

What happens here is that the default implementation of the isSplitable
method in FileInputFormat is so unsafe that just about everyone who
implements a new subclass is likely to get this wrong. The effect of
getting this wrong is that all unit tests succeed and running it against
'large' input files (>>64MiB) that are compressed using a non-splittable
compression (often Gzip) will cause the input to be fed into the mappers
multiple time (i.e. you get garbage results without ever seeing any
errors).

Last few days I was at Berlin buzzwords talking to someone about this bug
and this resulted in the following proposal which I would like your
feedback on.

1) This is a change that will break backwards compatibility (deliberate
choice).
2) The FileInputFormat will get 3 methods (the old isSplitable with the
typo of one 't' in the name will disappear):
    (protected) isSplittableContainer --> true unless compressed with
non-splittable compression.
    (protected) isSplittableContent --> abstract, MUST be implemented by
the subclass
    (public)      isSplittable --> isSplittableContainer &&
isSplittableContent

The idea is that only the isSplittable is used by other classes to know if
this is a splittable file.
The effect I hope to get is that a developer writing their own
fileinputformat (which I alone have done twice so far) is 'forced' and
'helped' getting this right.

The reason for me to propose this as an incompatible change is that this
way I hope to eradicate some of the existing bugs in custom implementations
'out there'.

P.S. If you agree to this change then I'm willing to put my back into it
and submit a patch.

--
Best regards,

Niels Basjes

Re: Change proposal for FileInputFormat isSplitable

Posted by Matt Fellows <ma...@bespokesoftware.com>.
I could be missing something, but couldn't you just deprecate isSplitable
(spelled incorrectly) and create a new isSplittable as described?

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:34 AM, Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>
wrote:

> On 28 May 2014 20:50, Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Last week I ran into this problem again
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-2094
> >
> > What happens here is that the default implementation of the isSplitable
> > method in FileInputFormat is so unsafe that just about everyone who
> > implements a new subclass is likely to get this wrong. The effect of
> > getting this wrong is that all unit tests succeed and running it against
> > 'large' input files (>>64MiB) that are compressed using a non-splittable
> > compression (often Gzip) will cause the input to be fed into the mappers
> > multiple time (i.e. you get garbage results without ever seeing any
> > errors).
> >
> > Last few days I was at Berlin buzzwords talking to someone about this bug
> >

> that was me, I recall.
>

> > and this resulted in the following proposal which I would like your
> > feedback on.
> >
> > 1) This is a change that will break backwards compatibility (deliberate
> > choice).
> > 2) The FileInputFormat will get 3 methods (the old isSplitable with the
> > typo of one 't' in the name will disappear):
> >     (protected) isSplittableContainer --> true unless compressed with
> > non-splittable compression.
> >     (protected) isSplittableContent --> abstract, MUST be implemented by
> > the subclass
> >     (public)      isSplittable --> isSplittableContainer &&
> > isSplittableContent
> >
> > The idea is that only the isSplittable is used by other classes to know
> if
> > this is a splittable file.
> > The effect I hope to get is that a developer writing their own
> > fileinputformat (which I alone have done twice so far) is 'forced' and
> > 'helped' getting this right.
> >

> I could see making the attributes more explicit would be good -but stopping
> everything that exists from working isn't going to fly.
>
> what about some subclass, AbstractSplittableFileInputFormat that implements
> the container properly, requires that content one -and then calculates
> IsSplitable() from the results? Existing code: no change, new formats can
> descend from this (and built in ones retrofitted).
>

> > The reason for me to propose this as an incompatible change is that this
> > way I hope to eradicate some of the existing bugs in custom
> implementations
> > 'out there'.
> >
> > P.S. If you agree to this change then I'm willing to put my back into it
> > and submit a patch.
> >
> > --
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Niels Basjes
> >

> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

[image: cid:1CBF4038-3F0F-4FC2-A1FF-6DC81B8B6F94]
 First Option Software Ltd
Signal House
Jacklyns Lane
Alresford
SO24 9JJ
Tel: +44 (0)1962 738232
Mob: +44 (0)7710 160458
Fax: +44 (0)1962 600112
Web: www.b <http://www.fosolutions.co.uk/>espokesoftware.com
<http://bespokesoftware.com/>

This is confidential, non-binding and not company endorsed - see full terms
at www.fosolutions.co.uk/emailpolicy.html
First Option Software Ltd Registered No. 06340261
Signal House, Jacklyns Lane, Alresford, Hampshire, SO24 9JJ, U.K.

Re: Change proposal for FileInputFormat isSplitable

Posted by Tim <tc...@dons.usfca.edu>.
Remove

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
Hi,

I talked to some people and they agreed with me that really the situation
where this problem occurs is when they build a FileInputFormat derivative
that also uses a LineRecordReader derivative. This is exactly the scenario
that occurs if someone follows the Yahoo Hadoop tutorial.

Instead of changing the FileInputFormat (which many of the committers
considered to be a bad idea) I created a very simple patch for the
LineRecordReader that throws an exception (intentionally failing the entire
job) when it receives a split for a compressed file that had not been
compressed using a SplittableCompressionCodec and where the split does not
start at the beginning of the file. So fail if it detects a non splittable
file that has been split.

So if you run this against a 1GB gzipped file then the first split of the
whole will complete successfully and all other splits will fail without
even reading a single line.

As far as I can tell this is a simple, clean and compatible patch that does
not break anything. Also the change is limited to the most common place
where this problem occurs.
The only 'big' effect is that people who have been running a broken
implementation will no longer be able to run this broken code iff they feed
it 'large' non-splittable files. Which I thinks is a good thing.

What do you (the committers) think of this approach?

The patch I submitted a few days ago also includes the JavaDoc improvements
(in FileInputFormat) provided by Gian Merlino

Niels Basjes

P.S. I still thing that the FileInputFormat.isSplitable() should implement
a safe default instead of an optimistic default.

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
Hi,

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 8:25 PM, Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 1:35 AM, Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl> wrote:
> > That's not what I meant. What I understood from what was described is
> that
> > sometimes people use an existing file extension (like .gz) for a file
> that
> > is not a gzipped file.
>

> Understood, but this change also applies to other loaded codecs, like
> .lzo, .bz, etc. Adding a new codec changes the default behavior for
> all InputFormats that don't override this method.

Yes it would. I think that forcing the developer of the file based
inputformat to implement this would be the best way to go.
Making this method abstract is the first thing that spring to mind.

This would break backwards compatibility so I think we can only do that
with the 3.0.0 version

> > I consider "silently producing garbage" one of the worst kinds of problem
> > to tackle.
> > Because many custom file based input formats have stumbled (getting
> > "silently produced garbage") over the current isSplitable implementation
> > really want to avoid any more of this in the future.
> > That is why I want to change the implementations in this area of Hadoop
> in
> > such a way that this "silently producing garbage" effect is taken out.
>
> Adding validity assumptions to a common base class will affect a lot
> of users, most of whom are not InputFormat authors.

True, the thing is that if a user uses an InputFormat written by someone
else and then it "silently produces garbage" they are also affected in a
much worse way.

> > So the question remains: What is the way this should be changed?
> > I'm willing to build it and submit a patch.
>
> Would a logged warning suffice? This would aid debugging without an
> incompatible change in behavior. It could also be disabled easily. -C

Hmmm, people only look at logs when they have a problem. So I don't think
this would be enough.

Perhaps this makes sense:
- For 3.0: Shout at the developer who does it wrong (i.e. make it abstract
and force them to think about this) i.e. Create new abstract method
isSplittable (tt) in FileInputFormat, remove isSplitable (one t).

To avoid needless code duplication (which we already have in the codebase)
create a helper method something like 'fileNameIndicatesSplittableFile' (
returns enum:  Splittable/NonSplittable/Unknown ).

- For 2.x: Keep the enduser safe: Avoid "silently producing garbage" in all
situations where the developer already did it wrong. (i.e. change
isSplitable ==> return false) This costs performance only in those
situations where the developer actually did it wrong (i.e. they didn't
thing this through)

How about that?

P.S. I created an issue for the NLineInputFormat problem I found:

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 8:10 PM, Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 4:03 PM, Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl> wrote:
> > and if you then give the file the .gz extension this breaks all common
> > sense / conventions about file names.
>

> That the suffix for all compression codecs in every context- and all
> future codecs- should determine whether a file can be split is not an
> assumption we can make safely. Again, that's not an assumption that
> held when people built their current systems, and they would be justly
> annoyed with the project for changing it.

That's not what I meant. What I understood from what was described is that
sometimes people use an existing file extension (like .gz) for a file that
is not a gzipped file.
If a file is splittable or not depends greatly on the actual codec
implementation that is used to read it. Using the default GzipCodec a .gz
file is not splittable, but that can be changed with a different
implementation like for example this
https://github.com/nielsbasjes/splittablegzip
So given a file extension the file 'must' be a file that is the format that
is described by the file name extension.

The flow is roughly as follows
- What is the file extension
- Get the codec class registered to that extension
- Is this a splittable codec ? (Does this class implement the
splittablecodec interface)

> I hold "correct data" much higher than performance and scalability; so the
> > performance impact is a concern but it is much less important than the
> list
> > of bugs we are facing right now.
>
> These are not bugs. NLineInputFormat doesn't support compressed input,
> and why would it? -C

I'm not saying it should (in fact, for this one I agree that it shouldn't).
The reality is that it accepts the file, decompresses it and then produces
output that 'looks good' but really is garbage.

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 1:21 AM, Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 10:53 PM, Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl> wrote:
> > The Hadoop framework uses the filename extension  to automatically insert
> > the "right" decompression codec in the read pipeline.
>
> This would be the new behavior, incompatible with existing code.

You are right, I was wrong. It is the LineRecordReader that inserts it.

Looking at this code and where it is used I noticed that the bug I'm trying
to prevent is present in the current trunk.
The NLineInputFormat does not override the isSplitable and used the
LineRecordReader that is capable of reading gzipped input. Overall effect
is that this inputformat silently produces garbage (missing lines +
duplicated lines) when when ran against a gzipped file. I just verified
this.

> So if someone does what you describe then they would need to unload all
> compression codecs or face decompression errors. And if it really was
> gzipped then it would not be splittable at all.

Assume an InputFormat configured for a job assumes that isSplitable
> returns true because it extends FileInputFormat. After the change, it
> could spuriously return false based on the suffix of the input files.
> In the prenominate example, SequenceFile is splittable, even if the
> codec used in each block is not. -C

and if you then give the file the .gz extension this breaks all common
sense / conventions about file names.

Let's reiterate the options I see now:
1) isSplitable --> return true
    Too unsafe, I say "must change". I alone hit my head twice so far on
this, many others have too, event the current trunk still has this bug in
there.

2) isSplitable --> return false
    Safe but too slow in some cases. In those cases the actual
implementation can simply override it very easily and regain their original
performance.

3) isSplitable --> true (same as the current implementation) unless you use
a file extension that is associated with a non splittable compression codec
(i.e.  .gz or something like that).
    If a custom format want to break with well known conventions about
filenames then they should simply override the isSplitable with their own.

4) isSplitable --> abstract
    Compatibility breaker. I see this as the cleanest way to force the
developer of the custom fileinputformat to think about their specific case.

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 11:05 PM, Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl> wrote:
> How would someone create the situation you are referring to?

By renaming files.  I believe I can easily write a test using public
APIs that will succeed without this patch and will fail with this
patch.  Given the number of Hadoop-based applications now in the
world, the likelihood that some perform such file renamings is
non-negligible.

Doug

Re: Change proposal for FileInputFormat isSplitable

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
Ok, got it.

If someone has an Avro file (foo.avro) and gzips that ( foo.avro.gz) then
the frame work will select the GzipCodec which is not capable of splitting
and which will cause the problem. So by gzipping a splittable file it
becomes non splittable.

At my workplace we have applied gzip to avro but then the compression
applies to the blocks inside the avro file. So that are multiple gzipped
blocks inside an avro container which is a splittable file without any
changes.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
Hi,

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
I forgot to ask a relevant question: What made the original proposed
solution "incompatible"?
To me it still seems to be a clean backward compatible solution that fixes
this issue in a simple way.

Perhaps Todd can explain why?

Niels

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.