Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com> on 2009/11/24 03:08:40 UTC

git was: MNG-3004/MNG-2802

Kristian Rosenvold wrote:

> Ever since my git-fu got sufficiently strong I get this allergic rash
> every time someone says "subversion". Anyone wishing to join can just
> fork and we'll have some git-fun ;)

I'm on Windows; the best Windows git client (msysgit) is covered in poison
oak. ;-)

-Dan

Re: git was: MNG-3004/MNG-2802

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
Someone'll probably have to get some antihistamines ;)

Seriously though, we're 20 people using git in my daily job, and we're
stuck on windows. Most of us are using cygwin (and that git is just like
a slower version of linux git). Eclipse has it's own java-based git
implementation (which lacks some bells & whistles but gets the job
done). IntelliJ v9 betas are getting really good
(http://www.jetbrains.net/confluence/display/IDEADEV/Maia+EAP) and has a
marvellous git integration (which is built on top of cygwin, but you
wouldn't notice).

I know some people say cygwin is "not windows". You /can/ actually add
c:/cygwin/usr/local/bin to your *windows* path and run "git" from
cmd.exe. The rest is just semantics to me.

The nice thing about git is that it's designed to allow the free flow of
code in any direction the owner of each repository cares for. Take
github as an example; we can all have our separate repositories (forks)
of a given project and usually someone takes the lead and picks up
changes from the others. This can change over time too, but the concept
of "commit rights" does not exist within git; everyone can commit to
their own repo and keep their work safe, it's just a matter of getting
someone to accept your changes that may be harder - at least you may
have to communicate with others to make that happen ;)

I'll stop pestering you about git ;) As of this moment it's the
only place I have access to keep my source code anyway, so it's not as
if I have a choice. And there's this rash.....

Kristian