Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2004/06/08 22:50:31 UTC

[digester] release plan for release 1.6.0

i think that a digester 1.6.0 service release allowing digester to be
used with either commons collections 2.x or commons-collections 3.x
would be a very good idea. this release will focus on providing a
stable, compatible dependency rather than fixing bugs or adding new
features. a subsequent release (probably 1.7.0) following soon
afterwards will focus on new material and will take a little longer to
prepare. i'm willing to act as release manager for the 1.6.0 release.

i've created a release plan on the wiki
(http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/
Digester_2f1_2e6_2e0ReleasePlan). please take a little time to read it
now and add any comments at the bottom or post a reply to this list.

- robert

Re: [digester] release plan for release 1.6.0

Posted by Jeanfrancois Arcand <jf...@apache.org>.

robert burrell donkin wrote:

> i think that a digester 1.6.0 service release allowing digester to be
> used with either commons collections 2.x or commons-collections 3.x
> would be a very good idea. this release will focus on providing a
> stable, compatible dependency rather than fixing bugs or adding new
> features. a subsequent release (probably 1.7.0) following soon
> afterwards will focus on new material and will take a little longer
> to  prepare. i'm willing to act as release manager for the 1.6.0 release.
>
> i've created a release plan on the wiki
> (http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/
> Digester_2f1_2e6_2e0ReleasePlan). please take a little time to read
> it  now and add any comments at the bottom or post a reply to this list.

Looks good. Once the branch is created, I will modify Tomcat to use the
new XML schema support. That will help testing backward compatibility also

-- Jeanfrancois

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
hi simon

my intention was to root the release branch from the current CVS head.
it is not impossible that some immature features could be removed from
this branch but it will start from HEAD and not the last release.

the usual procedure for releases is to try to resolve as many of the
outstanding issues (in bugzilla) as possible. the reason why i'm
proposing a second release within a reasonable short period of time is
that i don't plan to go through the bugs and fix them. this schedule
will also allow any features which aren't sufficient mature to be push
back into the following release. whether the release is numbered 1.6.1
or 1.7.0 will depend on the volume of changes made.

- robert

Posted by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>.