Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> on 2011/12/02 06:59:27 UTC

Aoo logo draft

Howdy,

Well, given the vote on a name and after reading through the thread on
branding it sounded like a good moment to put a (interim maybe) logo
proposal together.

Put a couple of hours to same this evening and uploaded where I stopped,
to the wiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOOLogo+proposal

Comments, suggestions, thoughts - all welcomed.

Figured this is a good place also for others to upload ideas.

Thanks,

//drew

Re: Aoo logo draft

Posted by Wolf Halton <wo...@gmail.com>.
That looks cool.  Would we be allowed to use the little feather (as on the
http://apache.org main page) under the word Apache? Gull ==> Feather seems
like a natural tie-in.

Re: Aoo logo draft

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: Aoo logo draft

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Dec 2, 2011, at 3:51 PM, drew wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 08:53 -0500, Rob Weir wrote:
>> cc'ing the marketing list.
>>
>> -Rob
>
> Thank you
>

>> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 12:59 AM, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:
>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> Well, given the vote on a name and after reading through the thread on
>>> branding it sounded like a good moment to put a (interim maybe) logo
>>> proposal together.
>
> Alright - given this started on the dev list I will reply to both
> -- for replies to this email how about we stick to the mktg list then
>
> After reading over the good comments in the emails - and brooding, for
> only a few minutes :) went one more the cycle of tweaking and feel
> pretty good about stopping for the day.
>

>>> Put a couple of hours to same this evening and uploaded where I stopped,
>>> to the wiki:
>
> Updated the files on the wiki..
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOOLogo+proposal
>>>

> Weill look forward to comments on this for use tomorrow.

I really like gradient 2!

Like Terry suggested - maybe we should have a variation with the feather below the Apache instead of the incubator.

Thanks!

Regards,
Dave

Re: Aoo logo draft

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.
I like the logo without any reference to incubating or incubator.  The incubator status can be mentioned separately.

It occurs to me that the Apache feather could be used as background.

Regards, Terry

Re: Aoo logo draft

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Re: Aoo logo draft

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Re: Aoo logo draft

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
cc'ing the marketing list.

-Rob

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 12:59 AM, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Well, given the vote on a name and after reading through the thread on
> branding it sounded like a good moment to put a (interim maybe) logo
> proposal together.
>
> Put a couple of hours to same this evening and uploaded where I stopped,
> to the wiki:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOOLogo+proposal
>
> Comments, suggestions, thoughts - all welcomed.

Hi Drew, Thanks for putting these together.  I like them.

A quick comment:  Our website branding has been "Apache OpenOffice
(incubating)" rather than 'Incubator" as you have it.

Or maybe it makes sense to not mention that at all in the logo, but
have the website text and disclaimer (and the product text in the
about box) take care of that disclaimer.  Then we can reuse the logo
unchanged after we graduate.

Re: Aoo logo draft

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 8:21 PM, Graham Lauder <yo...@openoffice.org> wrote:
> On Friday 02 Dec 2011 21:31:45 drew wrote:
>> Howdy Eric,
>>
>> On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 08:52 +0100, eric b wrote:
>> > Apologies, I forgot :
>> >
>> > Thank you very much for your proposal
>>
>> <snip>
>> Your welcome and thanks also.
>>
>> > Instead of changing everything, I'd suggest to define a complete
>> > graphic chart ? I mean new colors, new applications logos, and so
>> > on : invite Designers, and people who have ideas to participate.
>>
>> hmm, my take on the conversation was that there was a user for a graphic
>> specific to the project and not necessarily to the product, so that is
>> what was in my head when prompted.
>>
>> So with specifics to the graphic I whipped up, one thing I'm not
>> satisfied with is the color change to the text 'Open' I'll work on that
>> later today.
>>
>> In general, I believe you are absolutely correct this project would
>> benefit from some 'real' designer(s) getting involved. (maybe this will
>> help spur some one..)
>>
>> For specific elements of the application changing, including the logo
>> used there, this proposal does not mean I think they should be changed,
>> at least not at the moment - that level of change would, IMO, best be
>> held off on till some of the above human resources speak up.
>>
>> Anyway, it's getting rather late now - will try to work on that color
>> issue after I get some sleep.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> //drew
>
> Eric is right however, first we need to define a colour pallet, font face,
> bugs and general style.  Define also dimensions and proportions and white
> space for the various use cases. (print, web, promotional gear etc)   This
> should all be laid out in a style guide.  Any fonts used should be available
> under appropriate licenses as well.

Maybe some subset of these standard sizes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_banner#Standard_sizes

A logo for our  website is one use, but I could imagine variations for
things like:

1) Profile image for project-controlled social media.  These tend to be square.

2) A "Powered By Apache OpenOffice" or similar logo for apps build on top of AOO

See:  http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs.html#poweredby

3) A banner that friends of the project can use on their blogs or
websites, in the side panel, to link to the AOO website.

Re: Aoo logo draft

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@openoffice.org>.

Re: Aoo logo draft

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@openoffice.org>.

Re: Aoo logo draft

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
Howdy Eric,

Re: Aoo logo draft

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 08:41:25 -0500
drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:

> Good morning (for those nearby)
> The capital letters are now set to font M+ 1c (more elongated)
> All characters in Apache are bold
> The word Incubator is also M+ 1c font & bold
> Changed color space on inkscape project
>
> - not sure that helped the color, so will come back to that later this
> afternoon/evening
>
> I did leave the 'pen' in Open as normal (not bold) text - I this makes
> the overall look feel lighter ( more _open :0 )..while the gulls work to
> keep the eye focused.

I'd suggest, with  view to minimal changes when/if OpenOffice moves out of incubation, that the incubator text be left unemphasised, so that simply omitting it would leave the logo usable and only subtly changed.  Also, could you brood on a blue fill for the panel, or part thereof, to maintain a stronger link with the older pre-Apache logo?

These are merely suggestions - no need to reply to them; having worked all my life with artists I know that they often  need to brood.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Aoo logo draft

Posted by Joost Andrae <Jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Drew,

how about integrating the Apache feather into the logo ? ...just an idea...

> Here is an example png files (300 x 150 px) to match the base image size
> used for the current logo on the wiki
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/27832565/alphabold_300x150px.png
> with the following changes:

Kind regards, Joost

Re: Aoo logo draft

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
Good morning (for those nearby)

On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 16:16 +0800, Peter Junge wrote:
<snip>
> As mascot, I could well imagine a gull dressed as an Indian with an
> Apache feather.

Noticed a comment to the original post on the wiki:

--
Dennis E. Hamilton says:
I like the idea. It is a bit distracting that the "pache" does not match

How does it look if that line is all set in the same weight?

I made some quick adjustments, after feeding the dog, to the svg file
and generated a couple of example png's from it - wasn't sure how
Confluence handles versions for files - so uploaded new files to the
wiki page.

Here is an example png files (300 x 150 px) to match the base image size
used for the current logo on the wiki
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/27832565/alphabold_300x150px.png
with the following changes:

The capital letters are now set to font M+ 1c (more elongated)
All characters in Apache are bold
The word Incubator is also M+ 1c font & bold
Changed color space on inkscape project

- not sure that helped the color, so will come back to that later this
afternoon/evening

I did leave the 'pen' in Open as normal (not bold) text - I this makes
the overall look feel lighter ( more _open :0 )..while the gulls work to
keep the eye focused.

OK - off to real work things for now.

//drew

Re: Aoo logo draft

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 16:16 +0800, Peter Junge wrote:
> Am 02.12.2011 15:52, schrieb eric b:
> > Apologies, I forgot :
> >
> > Thank you very much for your proposal : this is completely decoupled
> > with the fact I mentionned, and your contribution is welcome !
> >
> > Instead of changing everything, I'd suggest to define a complete graphic
> > chart ? I mean new colors, new applications logos, and so on : invite
> > Designers, and people who have ideas to participate.
>
> As mascot, I could well imagine a gull dressed as an Indian with an
> Apache feather.

Hi Peter,

The thought of coloring only the 'A' in Apache or maybe the 'A' and the
word incubator, with the feather color gradient (or as close as I could
get).

Not sure I'd be the right guy to try and draw a mascot. Might be fun to
try though.

...but not tonight (hmm this morning)

//drew

Re: Aoo logo draft

Posted by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>.
Am 02.12.2011 15:52, schrieb eric b:
> Apologies, I forgot :
>
> Thank you very much for your proposal : this is completely decoupled
> with the fact I mentionned, and your contribution is welcome !
>
> Instead of changing everything, I'd suggest to define a complete graphic
> chart ? I mean new colors, new applications logos, and so on : invite
> Designers, and people who have ideas to participate.

As mascot, I could well imagine a gull dressed as an Indian with an
Apache feather.

(Sorry, but I'm not able to do such artwork.)

Best regards,
Peter

Re: Aoo logo draft

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Apologies, I forgot :

Thank you very much for your proposal : this is completely decoupled
with the fact I mentionned, and your contribution is welcome !

Instead of changing everything, I'd suggest to define a complete
graphic chart ? I mean new colors, new applications logos, and so
on : invite Designers, and people who have ideas to participate.

Regards,
Eric

--
qɔᴉɹə
Blog : http://eric.bachard.org/news

Re: Aoo logo draft

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi,

Le 2 déc. 11 à 06:59, drew a écrit :

> Howdy,
> Well, given the vote on a name and after reading through the thread
> on branding it sounded like a good moment to put a (interim maybe)
> logo proposal together.
> Put a couple of hours to same this evening and uploaded where I
> stopped, to the wiki:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOOLogo+proposal
> Comments, suggestions, thoughts - all welcomed.

The name changed (stupid decision)

Now the logo ?

So our ennemies (some TDF /LO people)  will say : hey look
OpenOffice.org is dead.

And they will be right.

Regards,
Eric

Re: Aoo logo draft

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
cc'ing the marketing list.

-Rob

Re: R: Aoo logo draft

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 7:16 AM, Jan Jelowicki <ja...@mat.up.wroc.pl> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Dec 2011, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>
>  Hi Drew;
>>
>> I thought about something similar but I was not brave
>> enough to put it together ;). Thanks!!
>>
>> This is typically "bikeshed" material:
>>
>> 1) Since the "ff"s are together and the "i" has an
>> additional space it actually looks like it says
>> "Off ice".
>> 2)I would prefer "Apache" in the Upper left corner,
>> but still not touching the Seagulls.
>> 3) I think the blue should be darker.
>> 4) I think we should include the M+ font in
>>  OpenOffice
>> 5) I think I criticize too much and that's easy
>> when I don't really do the work ;).
>>

> Hello,
>
> I do not think that to be a criticism. Thanks Drew.
>
> At first glance, the "Office" word does not look coherent. Remember that
> "ffi" is a standard ligature and it might be applied at small and moderate
> font sizes (i.e. excluding huge banners), if present in the font being used.
>
> Besides, "pen" in "Open" looks too subtle compared to "O".
>
> Thank You,
>

>                                                   Jan Je/lowicki
> ------------------------------**------------------------------**-----
> Department of Mathematics                      Katedra Matematyki
> University of Environmental              Uniwersytet Przyrodniczy
> and Life Sciences
>                          Wroc/law, POLAND

I think this looks fine as is -- and thank you -- but I also would like to
take a look with the "pen" in Open being the same weight as the other
letters.

Thanks for doing this...

MzK

 by the way its animals are treated."
                              -- Mohandas Gandhi

Re: R: Aoo logo draft

Posted by Jan Jelowicki <ja...@mat.up.wroc.pl>.

R: Aoo logo draft

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hi Drew;

I thought about something similar but I was not brave
enough to put it together ;). Thanks!!

This is typically "bikeshed" material:

1) Since the "ff"s are together and the "i" has an
additional space it actually looks like it says
"Off ice".
2)I would prefer "Apache" in the Upper left corner,
but still not touching the Seagulls.
3) I think the blue should be darker.
4) I think we should include the M+ font in
   OpenOffice
5) I think I criticize too much and that's easy
when I don't really do the work ;).

Thanks again!

Pedro.