Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com> on 2008/02/12 20:14:20 UTC

JSPWiki CVS frozen

As the subject says - no more commits are allowed.

Stay tuned for more info.

/Janne

Re: JSPWiki CVS frozen

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@ops.co.at>.
Janne Jalkanen schrieb:

> I would rather call it JSPWIKI_STRIPES_BRANCH - I think it would
> confuse people otherwise too much ("no waittaminute, what exactly is
> this branch"?)
>
> You should be able to add the branch yourself; you have full rights.
> Frankly, I will need to study how SVN handles branches myself, too.
>
> Now off to fix our build scripts... I will try and commit them to the
> SVN at some point as well, so y'all can make nice builds if you want to.

It's nice to see this moving forward. I'm happy to help with any svn
issues if you need it.

One thing that you should do is read this:
  http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html

The bit about setting up file ~/.subversion/config entries for eol-style
is particularly important. Without this, files are treated as binary
meaning that checkins from Windows cause ugly \r chars for people
checking out from linux and vice-versa. This flag can be set later on a
file, but when set on a file checked in from Windows, it causes a commit
that updates every line in the file...so better to get it right first time.

Also, be careful about "execute bits" on files. When checking in from
windows, it seems quite common for files to be marked as "executable" in
svn which is not fatal, but does look strange. I can see quite a few of
these in the new STRIPES branch for example. Fixing these with a script
is pretty simple though.

Branches in subversion are the nicest thing about it. An "svn cp"
command effectively sets up a *link* to a specific version of the
original directory, with copy-on-write behaviour. It is therefore a very
quick and cheap operation. Branches/tags are then just directories that
happen to be a "copy" of some other directory, possibly with some local
modifications. Note that there is no physical difference between a tag
and a branch; by convention stuff under a dir called "tags" should not
be committed to.

Regards,
Simon

Re: JSPWiki CVS frozen

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
> BTW, were the build scripts broken?

Yes, since they expect to be able to use CVS out of cvs.jspwiki.org.
Take a look at the build.xml for example.

/Janne

Re: JSPWiki CVS frozen

Posted by Andrew Jaquith <an...@mac.com>.
Will do...