Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Srini Pillai <SP...@MAIL.NYSED.GOV> on 2006/01/23 18:07:22 UTC

Tags for Pagination

Hi,

We have a situation where we require to paginate our result list (which
is quite huge, around 1000+ records). We found few tags like DisplayTags
from sourceforge.net but the current version does not support batch
lists (i.e. retrieving the list in batches based on the page the user is
in, instead of retrieving all in once). Is there a tag in Struts/JSTL
that would help display huge lists. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Srini

Re: Tags for Pagination

Posted by Aladin Alaily <st...@aladin.ca>.
That was my first reaction too.  As a matter of fact, I am using version
1.1 and it works quite nicely.  You should most definetly revisit it,
the flexibility of external sorting & sublists are major improvements.

Aladin

Re: Tags for Pagination

Posted by Rick Reumann <ri...@gmail.com>.

--
Rick

Re: Tags for Pagination

Posted by Aladin Alaily <st...@aladin.ca>.
Hi Srini,

I have a table that contains 32000 records and was in the same
predicament as you.  I wanted to subsets of the records rather than the
whole thing at once.  Also the current release version of displaytag
doesn't allow you to paginate (or sort) sublists, you might be surprised
to know that version 1.1 does!  You just have to checkout the source
from CVS and compile it.

After compile displaytag 1.1, you can have sublists and external sorting
by adding the following paramters to the display:table tag:
1. sort="external"
2. partialList="true"
3. size="somesize"

I always resisted using displaytag because of loading the entire
resultset is just plain bad when you're dealing with a large number of
records.  But now that this restriction has been removed, displaytag
does the job quite nicely.

Hope this helps.
Aladin

Re: Tags for Pagination

Posted by Rick Reumann <ri...@gmail.com>.
On 1/23/06, Srini Pillai <SP...@mail.nysed.gov> wrote:

> We have a situation where we require to paginate our result list (which
> is quite huge, around 1000+ records). We found few tags like DisplayTags
> from sourceforge.net but the current version does not support batch
> lists (i.e. retrieving the list in batches based on the page the user is
> in, instead of retrieving all in once). Is there a tag in Struts/JSTL
> that would help display huge lists. Any help is appreciated.

None that I'm aware of:( Although I keep meaning to work on one. Ajax
would really be nice for this actually. You could go to the server to
get your next display and it would repopulate your display without the
whole page refreshing.