Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org> on 2005/10/04 01:56:04 UTC

Re: Maven xsd

May I assume silent consent and ask somebody with core privs to remove
those namespace requirements?

[Just being pushy, I'd like to get some feedback]

-Lukas

Re: Maven xsd

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.

Arnaud HERITIER wrote:
> After thinking about it I'm not sure it's a good idea to validate the POM with a schema :-(

I don't really agree with you here. It's true that the plugin will not
help you if your pom is actually not well formed or not parsable, Maven
core will fail before the plugin is able to tell you what's wrong. [I
have actually committed some documentation updates about this only this
morning, see also MAVEN-1707].

pom:validate is not supposed to tell you whether your pom is valid xml,
but rather whether it's a valid pom. Any sensible project should at
least define name, groupId, etc, in order to produce meaningful results.
The pom:validate goal should verify that such minimum requirements are
met, so that a user can expect the correct behavior of basic maven features.

-Lukas

Re: Maven xsd

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.

Arnaud HERITIER wrote:

> We should maintain 2 schemas :-(
> Or can we generate the maven-pom-extend from maven-pom-strict.

I know, it sounds like overkill. But the two schemas are basically
identical, except that in strict we put some minOccurs=1 for all
elements that are required. I think it should even be possible to derive
a schema file from another one on the fly, by just specifying the
attributes that have to be changed. We wouldn't have to store two
quasi-identical files then. I'll think about it.

-Lukas

RE: Maven xsd

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

> Remark: the current pom:validate goal works to some extent
> even for poms that extend others. Having a valid
> a/project.xml and a b/project.xml with only
> <extend>../a/project.xml</extend> in it, validates b. Making
> an invalid change to a's pom then makes the validation on b
> fail as well.

Good feature. I didn't used it.

> However, it doesn't work if I set some minOccurs in the
> schema file to 1, in that case the validation of b will fail
> even if the corresponding element is present in a.
>

> What about the following suggestion: we introduce two
> schemas, maven-pom-strict and maven-pom-extend. Every
> stand-alone pom has to comply with pom-strict and every pom
> that extends another one has to extend at least one strictly
> valid pom.
>
> [This doesn't eliminate some exotic setup's where you have a
> chain of poms that are each invalid by themselves, but when
> merged together make up a valid one. I don't know if this is
> a frequent case.]

We should maintain 2 schemas :-(
Or can we generate the maven-pom-extend from maven-pom-strict.

I'm not sure if it's very useful.....

Arnaud

Re: Maven xsd

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.

RE: Maven xsd

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven xsd

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven xsd

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.

RE: Maven xsd

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven xsd

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven xsd

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven xsd

Posted by "Anthony B. Coates" <ab...@idmm.co.uk>.

wrote:

> Carlos Sanchez wrote:
>> Hi,
>>  I've poms without namespace which are working under 1.1b2, why are you
>> saying it's required?
>>

> Sure they work but they don't validate. The problem that I have
> currently is that running 'pom:validate' on a pom without namespace
> declaration seems to hang the msv verifier. This is probably a bug in
> msv, but I find it quite inconvenient anyway to enforce this namespace
> declaration.
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas

Anthony B. Coates, Director
Information Design, Messaging and Management
mailto:abcoates@idmm.co.uk
Mobile/Cell: +44 (79) 0543 9026
--
MDDL Editor (Market Data Definition Language)
http://www.mddl.org/

Re: Maven xsd

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven xsd

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I've poms without namespace which are working under 1.1b2, why are you
saying it's required?

Regards

RE: Maven xsd

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.