Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by sg <ge...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/12 12:40:52 UTC

how to configure spamassassin in MS Exchange 2003 server

hi

We are using MS Exchange 2003 server on windows 2003 server. We have
registered with domain service and using 50 mail users. We are getting lot
of spam mails. I want to know the configuring details of
Mail-spamassassin-3.1.7 and how to control the spam mails..

RE: how to configure spamassassin in MS Exchange 2003 server

Posted by Bret Miller <br...@wcg.org>.
> sg wrote:
> > hi
> >
> > We are using MS Exchange 2003 server on windows 2003 server. We have
> > registered with domain service and using 50 mail users. We
> are getting lot
> > of spam mails. I want to know the configuring details of
> > Mail-spamassassin-3.1.7 and how to control the spam mails..
> >

> I'd offer to help, but I have no familiarity with doing this. My own
> approach is to use a Linux mailserver as my Internet
> connected MTA, run
> spamassassin on that, and have it forward mail to Exchange.
>
> SpamAssassin can be made to run directly on win32, but AFAIK
> this isn't
> entirely trivial. If you're comfortable with ActivePerl you shouldn't
> have trouble, but be aware that perl and SpamAssassin are
> aliens on the
> Windows platform. They're both designed around the *nix way
> of doing things.

Perhaps not "trivial", but if you're starting from scratch it's not too
bad.
See: http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/InstallingOnWindows

You start running into problem when you already have perl applications
running and "can't" install the latest ActivePerl release, or install
the latest required modules.

There are a few "if you want to" areas in the install instructions that
you should skip if you're not familiar with building applications on
Windows. If you really do want those things, come back and do them after
you have SpamAssassin working.

I run SpamAssassin on Windows Server 2003 with ActivePerl 5.8.8.820. I
have not had significant problems building or using it for a couple
years.

> That said, it looks like a fellow named Chris Lewis has written an
> Exchange event sink and has links to several tips, but I've got no
> experience using his tools.
>
> http://www.christopherlewis.com/ESA/default.htm

And I, also, have no experience using his tools. But I've heard good
reports from others about them.

Bret

Re: how to configure spamassassin in MS Exchange 2003 server

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.

AW: how to configure spamassassin in MS Exchange 2003 server

Posted by "Starckjohann, Ove" <st...@norddeutsche.de>.
i would also agree with Matt, to add a dedicated server running SpamAssassin and tunnel all incoming mail through it,
OR: we're are using a proxy-Server: NoSpamProxy (NSP) (http://www.nospamproxy.com/) to check all incoming and outgoing mails. Incoming mails are also send to a dedicated SpamAssassin-Machine (SpamD) which score's them and reports back the score to NoSpamProxy.
The "goodie" of this setup is that also outgoing mails are routed through NSP and so it will "learn" who's communicating with whom and give bonus points to such mails originating from a "trusted" sender...

Directly using SpamAssassin or spamd from your Exchange2003-Machine is not possible in my eyes..

Ove Starckjohann