Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com> on 2010/09/10 21:30:12 UTC

Would love your thoughts on a change

Everyone -

We're discussing a change to the way enum values can be referenced in Thrift
files over on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-897. I'd love to
get more feedback from the user community about whether this is a good idea
to go forward with.

-Bryan

Re: Would love your thoughts on a change

Posted by Anner van Hardenbroek <dw...@gmail.com>.
+1 for "." notation

Posted by Tony Kinnis <tk...@yahoo.com>.
+1 for "." notation

I prefer foo.bar for all the reasons Mark Slee mentioned.  I think an
incompatible change is okay, as long as old files fail to compile. :

        /r$

--
STSM, WebSphere Appliance Architect
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/soma/

RE: Would love your thoughts on a change

Posted by Mark Slee <ms...@facebook.com>.
I think we should strive to keep the Thrift IDL syntax independent from specific target language conventions, and optimize for internal consistency. I'd vote for the "." separator, since that's what's currently being used for namespace-type-things everywhere else in the Thrift IDL (for instance, when you include "other.thrift" and refer to its types by an "other." prefix).

Even if we did want to make a play for target-language consistency, it seems we have more Python/Java fans around here than C++/PHP anyways, so "." would probably still be the most natural choice.

Posted by David Reiss <dr...@facebook.com>.

Posted by Dvir Volk <dv...@gmail.com>.
Looks like something that is better solved without keeping
backwards compatibility, as this is sort of a bug IMHO.

re the syntax itself, I think it would look cooler if it followed cpp/php's
Foo::Bar  :)

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 10:30 PM, Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com> wrote:

> Everyone -
>
> We're discussing a change to the way enum values can be referenced in
> Thrift
> files over on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-897. I'd love
> get more feedback from the user community about whether this is a good idea
> to go forward with.
>
> -Bryan

Re: Would love your thoughts on a change

Posted by ro...@bufferoverflow.ch.
I like that idea and the new possibilities we will have with enum's!

+1