Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jim Byrne <ji...@glasgowwestend.co.uk> on 2003/12/11 22:52:50 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] apache on raq4 .htaccess and standard erorrbehaviour not working.

on 12/11/03 10:20 AM, Boyle Owen at Owen.Boyle@swx.com wrote:

>> Asking for a file in a directory with .htaccess:
>> www.glasgowwestend.co.uk 62.252.128.10 - -
>> [10/Dec/2003:20:43:11 +0000] "GET
>> /mymail/admin/ HTTP/1.1" 401 - "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh;
>> U; PPC; en-US;
>> rv:1$
>
> 401 - Authorization required. The browser sent a request without
> credentials so gets back a 401. It is then supposed to pop-up a password
> challenge to the user and repeat the request with the supplied user/pass
> (aka credentials). Nothing wrong here.

Hi Owen,

Yes - that is correct - it is suppossed to pop-up a password challange - but
it doesn't - it says 'document contains no data' (Netscape).

>> There is no entry in the error log related to the .htaccess
>> failure, that I
>> can find.
>
> What .htaccess failure? Nothing in the above points to any failure in
> apache. I still don't fully understand what the problem is... Is it
> that:
>
> file exists, no authorization: file delivered
> file exists, authorization reqd: file delivered after password
> file doesn't exist, no authorization: error 404
> file doesn't exist, authorization reqd: "document contains no data"

The last one: when the file doesn't exist, or there is a .htaccess file in
hte director - I get the error dialog, 'document contains no data'.

> This is an important message and nothing to do with apache - it points
> to a problem in your network or in the ethernet card. Do you have any
> ideas about it?

The rest of the pages are served as normal - the problem only appears when
their is a .htaccess file, or when the file doesn't exist (I should get the
usual 404 message - but don't). I'm not sure why this should be - I'm not
aware of a problem with the network or ethernet card. this is why I was
thinking the problem is in some way related to the way Apache is responding
to error conditions.

All the best,
Jim

Re: [users@httpd] apache on raq4 .htaccess and standarderorrbehaviour not working.

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Jim Byrne wrote:
> The rest of the pages are served as normal - the problem only appears
> when their is a .htaccess file, or when the file doesn't exist (I should
get
> the usual 404 message - but don't). I'm not sure why this should be - I'm
> not aware of a problem with the network or ethernet card. this is why I
> was thinking the problem is in some way related to the way Apache is
> responding to error conditions.

You must get a better picture of what's going on. Use Ethereal to check the
packages exchanged during such request, which might allow us to dig further
back to Apache, if it reveals that the response is somehow invalid.

Regards,
Robert Andersson