Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2014/01/08 19:55:33 UTC

Next steps for the AOO users list

I just want to make sure that you all know that we're not ignoring
this list and its recent troubles.  The PMC is taking this very
seriously and discussing what actions to take.  This discussion may
take another day or two. Once done we'll act but also have clearer
procedures in place for how to act more swiftly in the future.

So please, bear with us a little longer.  We'll be back to normal soon.

For anyone new to the list who is not familiar with the PMC, you can
read more here:

http://openoffice.apache.org/pmc-faqs.html#pmc

Regards,

-Rob

RE: Next steps for the AOO users list

Posted by Maurice Howe <ma...@stny.rr.com>.
Bless you and your dedicated team of volunteers!
I'm greatly relieved that we can now get back to business -- our work
projects, and the fixing of an occasional AOO burp).

Maurice Howe

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 15:29:11 -0700 John Hart wrote:
>> There's something strange about this email, it doesn't have the
>> unsubscribe message

I suspect this happens when the mailing list management software gets
confused by the message format (e.g., it converts from some obscurely
formatted HTML to plain text, but then it doesn't append the footer
correctly). But this is just a theory, I haven't verified it.

> I have seen it suggested that some of the 'irregular' OpenOffice
> download sites automatically log the downloaders to the User list to
> 'honour' their assertion of 'support' and justify the fee they charge
> for the download.
> I don't know if this is so, and cannot remember where I saw the
> suggestion (possibly on an Apache ML?)

The theory (but we have no evidence) was:
- user username@gmail.com gives his e-mail address to an unofficial
download site; say this is example.com
- the site creates a user123456@example.com e-mail address and
subscribes it to the list (sending a subscription request, then approving)
- the site turns the user123456@example.com address into an alias for
username@gmail.com ; so username@gmail.com is "subscribed" to the list
through this alias.

Honestly, I don't believe this happens. If it did, we wouldn't be able
to manually unsubscribe users when they complain (we would see the
"alias" but not the real address); and we would see a lot of users
subscribing from a strange domain (and we have no reports about that).

Of course, if we had any evidence of the former mechanism to be
exploited, we would promptly take action. But so far this seems to be
only a theory: it is simpler to assume that people subscribe by mistake;
we can look into making the welcome messages simpler and clearer, so
that nobody can misunderstand what he is doing when he confirms
subscription to this list.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Posted by Maurice Howe <ma...@stny.rr.com>.
I took it upon myself (ahem...) to pound on this potty-mouth twit by
reporting him to his org, since he supplied the link and isn't too well
suited to his profession.  Haven't heard back -- Gee, wonder why?

Maurice

Posted by John Hart <jh...@testra.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Andrew Kinsella <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hagar-- how can I unsubscibe from this fucking list?
> 3 attempts so far--- all wasted.
> Every single damn message that I get from your list is marked as spam-- but
> I am suffering "spam button finger fatigue syndrome".

Done.  You are unsubscribed now.

-Rob

Posted by Andrew Kinsella <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James <jl...@inebraska.com>.
Hagar:
I have never found it necessary to hit return after making a correction. Try
it sometime.

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Maurice Howe <ma...@stny.rr.com>.