Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2008/01/04 13:43:58 UTC

Managing our website with Lenya, storing the content in SVN

Hi Lenya devs,

at the user meeting in Freiburg I suggested that we try to manage our
website with Lenya again. If we decide to do this, I suppose that the
content shall be stored in the SVN repository.

At the moment, synchronizing the files with SVN is a bit cumbersome
because every edit operation removes and creates backup files. I
wouldn't like to do this by hand. How can we overcome this issue?

a) Don't create backup files (i.e., set the number of backups to 0).
    This would render Lenya's versioning useless, but maybe we could
    live with that.

b) Write some sophisticated shell scrips which do the syncing.

c) Write some Java code that does the trick (e.g., as a repository
    listener).

I'm in favor of a) because b) and c) don't look that easy, but I hope
someone has a better idea :)

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: Managing our website with Lenya, storing the content in SVN

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 10:51 +0100, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> For a website update, it would probably be sufficient to download the
> site using wget and commit the resulting HTML.

Yeah, we can even use apache droids for it (once I did the rewrite).

> For backup purposes it
> would be convenient to have the content in SVN, though.

we would need both in svn, since the html is as well synced by the svn.

> > I think we should do an IRC session around this after the release.
>
> Good idea.

Perfect.

salu2

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler schrieb:
> On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 15:09 +0100, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>> Andreas Hartmann schrieb:
>>> Hi Lenya devs,
>>>
>>> at the user meeting in Freiburg I suggested that we try to manage our
>>> website with Lenya again. If we decide to do this, I suppose that the
>>> content shall be stored in the SVN repository.
>>>
>>> At the moment, synchronizing the files with SVN is a bit cumbersome
>>> because every edit operation removes and creates backup files. I
>>> wouldn't like to do this by hand. How can we overcome this issue?
>>>
>>> a) Don't create backup files (i.e., set the number of backups to 0).
>>>    This would render Lenya's versioning useless, but maybe we could
>>>    live with that.
>>>
>>> b) Write some sophisticated shell scrips which do the syncing.
>> On http://teamaskins.net/archive/2006/03/15/subversion_commit_script
>> there's a neat script that does the trick.
>
> The problem is and I do not think that it is solved by the script that
> we cannot commit from the zones server directly since that would mean we
> use a certain svn user on the zones server.
>
> Meaning when we do the update we would need to download the zones rep
> (both xml and html) and commit the changes form our local workstation
> with our svn user.

For a website update, it would probably be sufficient to download the
site using wget and commit the resulting HTML. For backup purposes it

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Hi Lenya devs,
>
> at the user meeting in Freiburg I suggested that we try to manage our
> website with Lenya again. If we decide to do this, I suppose that the
> content shall be stored in the SVN repository.
>
> At the moment, synchronizing the files with SVN is a bit cumbersome
> because every edit operation removes and creates backup files. I
> wouldn't like to do this by hand. How can we overcome this issue?

push out 2.0 today, meet again in zurich, dream about 2.1 stuff (while
not forgetting about a quick 2.0.1 maintenance release).

2.1 dream stuff could include using svn as a lenya backend. i for one
would love to see that happen. we could have another look at our
repository abstraction - i don't see why it should be hard at all to
switch from one backend to another. but as often, i may be wrong :)

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

  - Ken Thompson.