Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Ashutosh Arora <As...@crossworlds.com> on 2001/05/18 08:36:50 UTC

SOAP vs XML Protocol...

Can someone explain to me, how the XML Protocol will be different from SOAP.
And once XML Protocol becomes the de-facto standard, what will happen to the
Web-services/applications written using SOAP.

Thanks in advance.
-Ashutosh.

Re: Unsupported response content type "ext/xml must be "text/xml".]

Posted by Irfan Baig <ir...@abstractedge.com>.
Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I'm running Apache-SOAP 2.1
with Tomcat on IIS.

--
irfan.baig   =   "Printer Setup Unit,  Abstract Edge"
irfan.phone  =   "212.352.9311 ext 102"

Re: Unsupported response content type "ext/xml must be "text/xml".]

Posted by Irfan Baig <ir...@abstractedge.com>.

Posted by Irfan Baig <ir...@abstractedge.com>.
I'm trying to run the stockquote sample, but I get the following error :

Exception in thread "main" [SOAPException: faultCode=SOAP-ENV:Protocol;
msg=Unsupported response content type "ext/xml; charset=utf-8", must be:
"text/xml".]
        at org.apache.soap.rpc.Call.getEnvelopeString(Call.java:173)
        at org.apache.soap.rpc.Call.invoke(Call.java:210)
        at samples.stockquote.GetQuote.main(GetQuote.java:103)

This seems like a method in the soap package has a syntax error? I'm using
soap-2.1. Any ideas?

--
irfan.baig   =   "Coder-type,  Abstract Edge"

Re: SOAP vs XML Protocol...

Posted by Barry Boatfield <ba...@onetel.net.uk>.
XML is used by SOAP rather than competing with.

One of the principle design aims of SOAP was not to invent new technology,
hence using HTTP and XML.

There are a number of useful web sites about the basics of SOAP, try
searching for "A young Persons Guide to Simple Object Access Protocol".

More relevent to the future of SOAP is whether it can mature quickly enough
and whether it becomes percieved as the magic bullet or a dud. Search using
google.com for SOAP topics.

Re: SOAP vs XML Protocol...