Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/02 01:35:39 UTC

No Issue tracker for WS as a whole

I could not find an issue tracker for problems which affect the whole WS TLP.

For example, issues with the parent website or with the download site.

The main issue with the parent website is that it does not have a link
to an issue tracking system.

There is also an issue with the download pages.

The top-level .htaccess file includes the line

IndexOptions FancyIndexing ScanHTMLTitles

which overrides all the standard options.
This causes some problems, for example files are supposed to appear
after folders, not before.

I think this should be changed to

IndexOptions +FancyIndexing +ScanHTMLTitles

so as to add the options.

[Please include me in replies as I am not subscribed]

Re: No Issue tracker for WS as a whole

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 13 January 2014 22:16, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:

> Sebb,
>
> On Jan 13, 2014, at 3:58 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> PING
>>
>> On 2 September 2013 00:35, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I could not find an issue tracker for problems which affect the whole WS TLP.
>>>
>>> For example, issues with the parent website or with the download site.
>>>
>>> The main issue with the parent website is that it does not have a link
>>> to an issue tracking system.
>
> This is as designed and as we prefer.   Each sub project has their own issue tracker.

> This was discussed earlier.

As indicated on my original email I was not subscribed at the time so
did not see any response.

So how is one supposed to report issues with the parent website?

http://www.apache.org/dist/ws/xmlrpc/

> The download "pages” should all be using the mirror scripts so shouldn’t even be listing anything.

Well yes, most people will use the mirror script, but if there are
issues they may wish to see what files are available.

The mirror standard is to show folders first.

> For pretty much any other situation, it just doesn’t matter as they should be using the mirror scripts anyway.

If that is the PMC position there is no point in having *any* of the
current .htaccess contents, as they all only affect the index display.
Just delete the file, and the problem will also be solved.

Or just delete the IndexOptions line; again that will solve the issue.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Sebb,

On Jan 13, 2014, at 3:58 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> PING
>
> On 2 September 2013 00:35, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I could not find an issue tracker for problems which affect the whole WS TLP.
>>
>> For example, issues with the parent website or with the download site.
>>
>> The main issue with the parent website is that it does not have a link
>> to an issue tracking system.

This is as designed and as we prefer.   Each sub project has their own issue tracker.   This was discussed earlier.

>> There is also an issue with the download pages.
>>
>> The top-level .htaccess file includes the line
>>
>> IndexOptions FancyIndexing ScanHTMLTitles
>>
>> which overrides all the standard options.
>> This causes some problems, for example files are supposed to appear
>> after folders, not before.
>>
>> I think this should be changed to
>>
>> IndexOptions +FancyIndexing +ScanHTMLTitles
>>
>> so as to add the options - rather than replacing them entirely

Is there a particular page that shows an issue?   The download "pages” should all be using the mirror scripts so shouldn’t even be listing anything.   For pretty much any other situation, it just doesn’t matter as they should be using the mirror scripts anyway.

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: No Issue tracker for WS as a whole

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
PING

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Sep 11, 2013, at 12:58 PM, Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 2:57 AM, Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 12:35 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I could not find an issue tracker for problems which affect the whole WS TLP.
>
> For example, issues with the parent website or with the download site.
>
> The main issue with the parent website is that it does not have a link
> to an issue tracking system.
>
> Since we have an issue tracker per each sub project I'm not quite sure whether we need a TLP level issue tracker so I'm +0 on this.  If there is no objections I will raise a infra ticket EOD today to create TLP JIRA project.

Personally, I don't see a need for this either.   For specific problems with anything non sub-project specific (which is super rare), a note to the dev list is likely more appropriate anyway.

I wouldn't bother getting one created.

Dan

Fwd: No Issue tracker for WS as a whole

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.