Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by amit <am...@realityinfo.com> on 2000/12/06 12:32:41 UTC

Do I need JSSE ?

Hi All,

I'm using Tomcat as an Application server with Apache for an ecom site.
I want to implement SSL in Apache server.With this regard , can anybody
comment on following issues:

1) Is it necessary to implement SSL support in Tomcat also ?
2) Does any specific version of  Tomcat supports SSL implementation ?
3) Is it needed to use JSSE (Java Secure Socket Extension) for above ?

TIA !
Regards,
-Amit
E-Mail : amit@realityinfo.com
Sansui Software Pvt. Ltd.,Pune

JServ Transition Question

Posted by Frank Morton <fm...@invisibleworlds.com>.
I've been using jserv since the beginning and I'm finally making the
jump to Tomcat. Looks great so far! Good job developers!

I have a number of projects defined that are a mixture of static
html and servlet created dynamic pages. As an example, I have
one project named workspace with a directory serving static
in htdocs named "workspace." In configuring tomcat, I also
created a context named "workspace."

So, to access a servlet within this context, I use
"/workspace/servlet/WORKspace" but want to still access
static html files and graphics using something like
"/workspace/graphics/button-ok.gif" located within htdocs
and served by apache rather than tomcat.

If I'm making this clear, is there any way to avoid this
naming conflict short of changing one of the names?

Thanks.

Frank Morton
fmorton@invisibleworlds.com

Re: Do I need JSSE ?

Posted by Trevor Little <tl...@hoaglandlongo.com>.
If you plan on using Tomcat standalone with ssl you must get JSSE and
use the jars in there.  You must also use tomcat 3.2.  However, if you
could also use apache in front of tomcat in which case you don't need
JSSE.   But if you went that route you would need open ssl etc.  I found
it easier to just use tomcat and JSSE.