Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by ng <pi...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/13 19:24:29 UTC

Backup Solution

I want to discuss the question asked by Rene last year again.

http://www.mail-archive.com/user%40cassandra.apache.org/msg28465.html

Is the following a good backup solution.
Create two data-centers:
- A live data-center with multiple nodes (commodity hardware) (6 nodes with
replication factor of 3). Clients
connect to this cluster with LOCAL_QUORUM.
- A backup data-center with 1 node (with fast SSDs). Clients do not connect
to this cluster. Cluster only used for creating and storing snapshots.
Advantages:
- No snapshots and bulk network I/O (transfer snapshots) needed on the live
cluster. Also no need to take snapshot on each node.
- Clients are not slowed down because writes to the backup data-center are
async.
- On the backup cluster snapshots are made on a regular basis. This again
does not affect the live cluster.
- The back-up cluster does not need to process client requests/reads, so we
need less machines for the backup cluster than the live cluster.
Are there any disadvantages with this approach?

I don't see any issue with it. It is backup solution...not replication
solution. Both DC can be on physically same location/network. Copy of the
snapshots can be placed to separate shared location on daily basis from
backup DC node.

I must be missing something..please advise.