Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Marx, Mitchell E (Mitch), ALABS" <mm...@att.com> on 2005/04/18 20:35:51 UTC

mod_jk 1.2.10 - return code when Tomcat not running

Using the same configuration files for 1.2.8 and 1.2.10, I get differing
behaviors when Tomcat isn't running.

Machine:
Solaris 8, Apache 1.3.33

Relevant configuration
JkMount /*.jsp ajp13

1.2.8 Response:
<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>500 Internal Server Error</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Internal Server Error</H1>
The server encountered an internal error or
misconfiguration and was unable to complete
your request.<P>
Please contact the server administrator,
 [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred,
and anything you might have done that may have
caused the error.<P>
More information about this error may be available
in the server error log.<P>
</BODY></HTML>

1.2.10 Response:
<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>200 OK</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>OK</H1>
The server encountered an internal error or
misconfiguration and was unable to complete
your request.<P>
Please contact the server administrator,
 [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred,
and anything you might have done that may have
caused the error.<P>
More information about this error may be available
in the server error log.<P>
</BODY></HTML>

Is this by design?  If so, should it be in the changelog
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/connectors-doc/changelog.html

and BTW,
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/downloads/downloads_tomcat-connectors.cgi
shows 1.2.6 as latest.

Re: mod_jk 1.2.10 - return code when Tomcat not running

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
Well 504 seems more correct in our case

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Marx, Mitchell E (Mitch), ALABS wrote:

> Using the same configuration files for 1.2.8 and 1.2.10, I get differing
> behaviors when Tomcat isn't running.
>

> 1.2.10 Response:
> <HTML><HEAD>
> <TITLE>200 OK</TITLE>

This is bug, and will be fixed.
It should return SERVER_BUSY (503) if can not connect to Tomcat.
You can try to use the load balancer with the single worker, and
it should work like explained.

> and BTW,
> http://jakarta.apache.org/site/downloads/downloads_tomcat-connectors.cgi
> shows 1.2.6 as latest.

Sure I know.
The site has not been updated for a long time.

Regards,
Mladen.