Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ryan Bloom <rb...@raleigh.ibm.com> on 1999/11/23 16:48:50 UTC

Painful changes. :-)

I have spent the last half day changing the parameter order for some of
the functions we moved from Apache to APR.  I started with the changes
that didn't really affect too many people, and those have been committed.
Now, I am modifying the tables logic.  This will be a truly painful change
for our module writers.  I have updated all of the standard modules, but I
am wary of committing this.

This is a HUGE change, and it will break every module out there, and for
big modules, it could cause people to spend days finding all of our
parameter re-ord's.  I would like input on this before I commit it.

The latest patch (which only gets three funcs, I believe) can be found at
http://www.ntrnet.net/~rbb/apache/bigchange.diff

Please let me know what you think about continuing this project.  I am
having doubts.  :-)

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd

Re: Painful changes. :-)

Posted by Bill Stoddard <st...@raleigh.ibm.com>.
A quote about 'foolish consistency' comes to mind :-) Will it HELP anything
or anyone? I doubt it.

-1 not a veto, just a strong opinion

Bill

Re: Painful changes. :-)

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Ryan Bloom wrote:

> I have spent the last half day changing the parameter order for some of
> the functions we moved from Apache to APR.  I started with the changes
> that didn't really affect too many people, and those have been committed.
> Now, I am modifying the tables logic.  This will be a truly painful change
> for our module writers.  I have updated all of the standard modules, but I
> am wary of committing this.
>
> This is a HUGE change, and it will break every module out there, and for
> big modules, it could cause people to spend days finding all of our
> parameter re-ord's.  I would like input on this before I commit it.
>
> The latest patch (which only gets three funcs, I believe) can be found at
> http://www.ntrnet.net/~rbb/apache/bigchange.diff
>
> Please let me know what you think about continuing this project.  I am
> having doubts.  :-)

Since it was my idea in the first place, I guess I'd better say that I
wasn't really intending that we should change existing widely used
functions - although that would probably be a good thing, I consider it
to be inessential. I just didn't want to introduce yet more arbitrary
parameter ordering when it could be avoided without too much pain.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html

     - Indira Gandhi

Re: Painful changes. :-)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
The point would be important IFF APR was rebuilt to not abort() on a
memory failure.

IMO, we shouldn't remove that feature (at this point in time), so yah...
what's the point? :-)

-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/