Posted to yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Grandl Robert <rg...@yahoo.com> on 2013/11/25 19:38:18 UTC

Fw: blacklist additions/removals not propagated to RM

I am not sure I posted this question in the right thread.

Do you have some thoughts with the below mail ? Is there any configuration parameter for RM to enable blacklisting ? Anyway, it seems my blacklist is sent empty to RM, so I think is an AM problem though.

Please let me know about your thoughts,

robert

On Saturday, November 23, 2013 2:31 PM, Grandl Robert <rg...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi,

I am not 100% sure it's a bug in AM, but it seems so. I am blacklisting some hosts, which are send through an AllocateRequest in makeRemoteRequest method in RMContainerRequest.java.

However, the blacklist is empty at RM. I traced all over the places where this is lost, and I found that in ApplicationMasterProtocolPBClientImpl.java, in allocate(AllocateRequest request) method, if I print the request.getResourceBlacklistRequest().getBlacklistAdditiions() I see the list, but after it does AllocateRequestProto requestProto = (..).getProto(),
and I print the requestProto.getBlacklistRequest().getBlacklistAdditions() now is EMPTY.

So basically, AM send an empty black list to RM. I went even further down and traced till YarnServiceProtos.java(in hadoop-yarn-api), but at this point all the logs I have, are removed. it seems this code is regenerated every time I am compiling yarn-api ....

Is there something I am missing guys, or is a bug ? Interesting is that release containers list is propagated correctly but I think it comes on other path. I am running hadoop-yarn 2.3.

Thanks,
robert

RE: blacklist additions/removals not propagated to RM

Posted by Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com>.
Please open a jira for the issue with the details you describe.

Thanks
Bikas

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Fw: blacklist additions/removals not propagated to RM

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.
BTW, if anybody can help commit YARN-1301, which helps debugging the
blacklist issues. Thanks! - Zhijie

--
Zhijie Shen
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Grandl Robert <rg...@yahoo.com>.
I checked those places Zhijie. As I mentioned before in ApplicationMasterProtocolPBClientImpl#allocate, which is further down in YarnScheduler#allocate, if I print the blacklist at the beginning of the function:
LOG.info("RM --> allocate request from AM; blacklist_a="+request.getResourceBlacklistRequest().getBlacklistAdditions().toString());

it shows me the right list, but if I print after requestProto:
LOG.info("RM --> allocate request from AM; blacklist_a="+requestProto.getBlacklistRequest().getBlacklistAdditionsList().toString());
it is empty.

It seems things are screwed up somewhere in yarn-api. I will open a jira and maybe you can take a look please.

Thanks,
robert

--
Zhijie Shen