Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Ian Lewis <Ia...@cox.net> on 2004/04/17 20:20:59 UTC

XML serialization merge with Xalan

Hey all,

I seem to remember some talk a little while ago about "merging" the code
for serialization with that of Xalan. Was the decision that the xerces
serialization implementations would be deprecated and all further work
would be done on the xalan serialization classes?

I'm interested in possibly working in this area in the future so I was
wondering what the status of the "merge" was? Have the serialization
classes been moved to the xml-commons yet? Just trying to stay informed so
any information would be helpful.

_Ian

Re: XML serialization merge with Xalan

Posted by Brian Minchau <mi...@ca.ibm.com>.

Ian,
its probably more like adding a few things to Xalan's serializer to make
sure Xerces user's don't loose functionality rather than a merge.

Xalan's serializer is in the org.apache.xml.serializer package. It is used
by both of Xalan's XSLT processors, Xalan-J interpreted and XSLTC. Not
wanting these processors to have dependancies on each other caused the code
in the org.apache.xml.serializer package to cut its dependancies a while
ago, and it is getting better in that respect.

There is still some work to be done on:
- moving serializer error messages into the serializer's package
- cutting dependancies (which one's I'm not sure, but ...)
- moving to xml-commons
- DOM level 3 support

There may be more work.

----------
Brian Minchau
XSLT Development, IBM Toronto
e-mail:        minchau@ca.ibm.com

             Ian Lewis
             <IanLewis@cox.net
                                       xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org
             04/17/2004 02:20                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       XML serialization merge with Xalan
             Please respond to