Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Roland Erbs <r....@niros.com> on 2004/09/03 13:30:03 UTC

authentication suggestion

Hi
Using windows and using authentication by use of svnserve and password.conf
file.
If a user, in password.conf, is listed as
[users]
john.doe =
i.e. without a password then my suggestion is that john.doe should never be
asked for authentication. Is that possible?
all the best
Roland,
(typing authentication too many times...)

Re: authentication suggestion

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 08:30, Roland Erbs wrote:
> Hi
> Using windows and using authentication by use of svnserve and password.conf
> file.
> If a user, in password.conf, is listed as
> [users]
> john.doe =
> i.e. without a password then my suggestion is that john.doe should never be
> asked for authentication. Is that possible?

Hm, lately I've been trying very hard to wait 24 hours before
reflexively responding to every email that comes into this list, to give
other folks a chance to respond first.  But I *can't* resist this one!

My question is:  how would server *know* that it's john.doe on the other
side of the network, and therefore shouldn't be prompted for
authentication?  Isn't that... circular?

Understand that the client doesn't send a username unless the server
asks.  This isn't CVS, where the client 'pushes' information
automatically.  In Subversion, authentication is entirely 'pulled' by
the server when the server deems necessary.