Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> on 2012/04/20 16:36:46 UTC

Re: script to detect timestamp-mismatches (inefficiency) in (1.7) working copies?

Stefan Sperling wrote on Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 14:38:19 +0200:
> Such problems didn't happen during the 1.6->1.7 timeframe as far as I
> can see (people got an error message and understood what was going on).

But in the 1.6->1.7 upgrade people had to go through all working copies
managed by unmanned daemons and manually upgrade all of them.

> If some people want to keep auto-upgrade, let's add a prompt
> ("auto-upgrade this working copy? yes/no") or a knob to the client config
> that advanced users can use to enable silent auto-upgrade. In which case
> 'svn status' would auto-upgrade when updating timestamps.

Another option is not to make format upgrades mandatory --- just like
svn 1.7 can write to format-1 FSFS filesystems.  I don't recall what we
want to bump the format in 1.8 for so I can't tell how realistic that is.