Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io> on 2011/11/02 19:12:07 UTC

Re: finding a new name that isn't PhoneGap

BUMP!

http://wiki.phonegap.com/w/page/47468793/namechange

This is rather important folks, and silence is considered assent in
Apache land, but given the activity we saw in Jira I think ppl do have
strong feelings here. The name is foundational important to work going
forward so we need to resolve this!

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 6:29 PM, Viras <vi...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> If we go for mythology suggestions I would like to throw "Charon" into
> the hat. It was the ferrymen in greek mythology - (similar to the bridge).

But Charon brought dead people to the other side... in Phonegaps case
who are the dead people and what actually is the other side? ;-)
Cheers

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: finding a new name that isn't PhoneGap

Posted by Viras <vi...@users.sourceforge.net>.

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
I don't know.  It's the name of a piece of IKEA furniture.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S79887609/

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.
I'm not a huge fan of "Callback" but I could live with it and I
actually like "Cordova" better.

Posted by Viras <vi...@users.sourceforge.net>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jesse MacFadyen <pu...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Gastown. That's a great name.

Cheers,
  Jesse

Sent from my iPhone5

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by eduardo pelegri-llopart <pe...@calterra.com>.

Posted by Abu Obeida Bakhach <Ab...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by Michael Brooks <mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>.

Posted by Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 14:52, Laurent Hasson <lh...@rim.com> wrote:

> I personally like more generic and unique names that aren't tied to a
> particular technology at all (i.e., Tomcat). Not only does technology move
> fast, but it's also better from a Web search point of view. The brand will
> build on it by itself as we deliver a great solution (look at "Amazon"
> starting as a book store and evolving to what it is now).

+1

In that light, cordova seems like the best name to me.  Googling it, I saw
the github repo of Brian's as the first hit on the second page of hits; but
that's just me and my browser.  Also, there's this (luckily, different
spelling): http://youtu.be/vIL3fbGbU2o .  You can just smell that
Corinthian Leather.

I know the name "WebKeg" was tossed around, but was that a joke?  On one
hand, it implies "lots of beer" to me, which is perhaps not a great
association.  On the other hand, I'm reminded of the Big Keg o' Health from
Unreal Tournament (some version before most of you were born, prolly).  I
could see a barrel busting out with awesome as a neat "logo" image.  I like
"web" in the name, compared to "device", since this project is more about
exploiting web technologies rather than just devices - there are the
"desktop" versions of the runtime to consider as well.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org

RE: finding a new name that isn't PhoneGap

When I read your messages and saw the name "Yaya" I immediately
thought on "Mobi Dick". But given the fact that the meaning of the
second part of this name has probably changed a bit since 1850, it it
is not a good choice :-) Anyway, a Whale as mascot would be cool.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.