Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/20 22:22:17 UTC

Struts and Maven 2

Is anyone else working on or thinking about a conversion to Maven 2?
Besides James. :)

I've been playing around with it for a while, and it's definitely an
improvement over m1.  At least it only runs the unit tests once. :)
But Maven really wants parent-and-child projects arranged in a
hierarchical directory structure.

The current setup with svn externals and the parent project.xml file
sitting "below" each sub-project does not seem to be workable with m2.
(See: [0])  And if the parent pom.xml file needs to sit above the
sub-projects, right now the only place to put it is in 'current'.

I think it would be better to push the sub-projects that 'belong' with
struts-core down one level, and have
   current/action/core
   current/action/taglib
   current/action/el
   etc.

I'm _not_ advocating rearranging this right now, I just wanted to get
a possible move to m2 on the table and avoid duplicating effort.

[0] http://www.nabble.com/-m2-parent-poms-and-svn-externals-t585022.html

--
Wendy

Re: Struts and Maven 2

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

> I still feel like I'm missing a piece of this puzzle... but I'll go bother
> users@maven some more until I figure it out.

Continuing this conversation with myself, the reason I was confused is
that <parent>, despite the fact that it has an optional <relativePath>
tag, is _repository_ based.  <module>, on the other hand, is file
system path based.  I was trying to make them both work one way or the
other.    And this will probably make no sense unless you've been
trying to make Maven 2 do a multi-module build with a flat directory
structure. :)

Does anyone else want to play?  I'll probably check in what I've got
sometime next weekend...

--
Wendy

Re: Struts and Maven 2

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

> And if the parent pom.xml file needs to sit above the
> sub-projects, right now the only place to put it is in 'current'.

Of course.  Just a few seconds after I sent that, Brett explained that
m2 goes to the repository for the parent pom if it can't find the file
one level up (or where it was told to look with <relativePath>.)

So never mind... apparently the parent pom.xml can live in 'build',
and as long as you 'mvn install' it (or it is available in a remote
repository?  Still checking on that one...) it should be possible to
check out and build a single sub-project.  I still feel like I'm