Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk.INVALID> on 2018/12/26 09:28:42 UTC

heap dump bval

TomEE 7.0.5 plus

i had a recent memory leak which was stalling the server every couple of
days.  so i did a heap dump and solved that problem.

then i decided to do another heap dump because the server is running
pretty slowly.  each page is taking a few seconds to load on a 32GB
system.  (i did clear out work directory)

it turns out that more than half of the memory is consumed with
org.apache.bval.cdi.BValExtension.  is this fairly normal?  using
Eclipse Memory Analyser i have dug into shortest routes to GC root but i
don't find any of my objects listed there.  mostly BVal stuff.  are
there any tips for debugging heap dumps?

Re: heap dump bval

Posted by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk.INVALID>.
thanks Jean-Louis.

i used gdb to get a jvm.core on the live system as it is much faster.
then i used jmap to convert it to a jvm.hprof.
(https://www.atlassian.com/blog/archives/so-you-want-your-jvms-heap)
then i used eclipse memory analyser to get the dominator table, and
paths to GC root (https://vimeo.com/21356498)

yes visualvm would be much better to show increase in memory consumption
after gc.  i did have jmx set up on the server and i could view over
ssh.  but like i say i am still struggling to find visualvm through yum

On 26/12/2018 12:06, Jean-Louis Monteiro wrote:
> I'd say probably before going too deep, I would just use the verbose:gc
> option piped into a log file so it can be further analyzed.
>
> It should show a memory increase to confirm.
> Also when it gets slow, probably a jstack could also help to see where the
> threads are.
>
> As for the head dump, I also use jvisualvm.
> JMC is now available for free in OpenJDK (I believe) and might be helpful.
>
> --
> Jean-Louis Monteiro
> http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro
> http://www.tomitribe.com
>

> On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 11:23 AM Bruno Baptista <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thant's interesting Matthew.
>>
>> Usually I open those in jvisualvm. I go to classes and activate the
>> retained column.
>>
>> That column will calculate the retained (effective) memory usage by class.
>>
>> Usually it takes a while to calculate, that's why it's not on by default.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Bruno Baptista
>> https://twitter.com/brunobat_
>>

>> On 26/12/18 09:28, Matthew Broadhead wrote:
>>> TomEE 7.0.5 plus
>>>
>>> i had a recent memory leak which was stalling the server every couple
>>> of days.  so i did a heap dump and solved that problem.
>>>
>>> then i decided to do another heap dump because the server is running
>>> pretty slowly.  each page is taking a few seconds to load on a 32GB
>>> system.  (i did clear out work directory)
>>>
>>> it turns out that more than half of the memory is consumed with
>>> org.apache.bval.cdi.BValExtension.  is this fairly normal?  using
>>> Eclipse Memory Analyser i have dug into shortest routes to GC root but
>>> i don't find any of my objects listed there.  mostly BVal stuff.  are
>>> there any tips for debugging heap dumps?

--
Mr MT Broadhead
Nigel Broadhead Mynard

32 Rainsford Road
Chelmsford Essex CM1 2QG
Tel: 01245 269909 Fax: 01245 261932
https://nbmlaw.co.uk

Partners: WJ Broadhead NP Eason SJ Lacey CR Broadhead D Seepaul T Carley

Nigel Broadhead Mynard Solicitors are authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. We are also bound by their code of conduct. Registered no. 00061052

Nigel Broadhead Mynard also provide a will writing service, see https://nbmlaw.co.uk/wills.htm for more information

Confidentiality: Information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the recipient to whom it is addressed. If you receive the message in error, please notify the sender and immediately destroy all copies.

Security warning: Please note that this e-mail has been created in the knowledge that e-mail is not a 100% secure communications medium. We advise you that you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us. This e-mail does not constitute a legally binding document. No contracts may be concluded on behalf of Nigel Broadhead Mynard Solicitors by e-mail communications.

Disclaimer: Please be aware of cyber crime. Nigel Broadhead Mynard will not take responsibility if you transfer money to a wrong bank account. Please speak to your Solicitor before transferring any money. If you receive an email from Nigel Broadhead Mynard requesting your bank details or telling you our bank details have changed, please contact your Solicitor immediately to clarify.

PLEASE ALSO NOTE that Nigel Broadhead Mynard only use emails which end with the suffix @nbmlaw.co.uk. If you receive any email from an address without that suffix or where that suffix does not appear in the address box when you click "Reply" then you should not rely on the email being from NBM and you should immediately contact us on the above number or any numbers published on our website to verify the source of the email is genuine.

If you have any queries, please contact administrator@nbmlaw.co.uk

Re: heap dump bval

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.

Re: heap dump bval

Posted by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk.INVALID>.
it is TomEE plus 7.0.5.  shows BVal 1.1.2 in my maven dependencies
i did wonder if  7.1.0 might have some improvements.

Re: heap dump bval

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.

Re: heap dump bval

Posted by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk.INVALID>.
thanks Jon

Re: heap dump bval

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: heap dump bval

Posted by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk.INVALID>.

Re: heap dump bval

Posted by German Gonzalez-Morris <ge...@gmail.com>.

Re: heap dump bval

Posted by Bruno Baptista <br...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Matthew!

Re: heap dump bval

Posted by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk.INVALID>.
i wondered if it was actually doing anything because activity monitor
wasn't showing visualvm using the processor or memory.  so i checked the
log file and got this
WARNING [org.netbeans.modules.progress.spi.InternalHandle]: Cannot call
progress on a task that was never started at
com.sun.tools.visualvm.heapviewer.HeapFragment$1.stateChanged(HeapFragment.java:72)
WARNING [null]: Last record repeated more than 10 times, further logs of
this record are ignored until the log record changes.
WARNING [null]: Last record repeated 372 times in total.
SEVERE [org.openide.util.RequestProcessor]: Error in RequestProcessor
com.sun.tools.visualvm.heapviewer.model.DataType$RetainedSize$1
java.lang.NullPointerException
     at
org.netbeans.lib.profiler.heap.HprofHeap.computeReferences(HprofHeap.java:639)
     at
org.netbeans.lib.profiler.heap.NearestGCRoot.computeGCRoots(NearestGCRoot.java:124)
     at
org.netbeans.lib.profiler.heap.NearestGCRoot.getLeaves(NearestGCRoot.java:401)
     at
org.netbeans.lib.profiler.heap.HprofHeap.computeRetainedSize(HprofHeap.java:713)
     at
org.netbeans.lib.profiler.heap.HprofHeap.computeRetainedSizeByClass(HprofHeap.java:776)
     at
org.netbeans.lib.profiler.heap.ClassDump.getRetainedSizeByClass(ClassDump.java:147)
     at
com.sun.tools.visualvm.heapviewer.model.DataType$RetainedSize.computeValuesImmediately(DataType.java:214)
     at
com.sun.tools.visualvm.heapviewer.model.DataType$RetainedSize$1.run(DataType.java:197)
     at
org.openide.util.RequestProcessor$Task.run(RequestProcessor.java:1443)
     at
org.netbeans.modules.openide.util.GlobalLookup.execute(GlobalLookup.java:68)
     at org.openide.util.lookup.Lookups.executeWith(Lookups.java:303)
[catch] at
org.openide.util.RequestProcessor$Processor.run(RequestProcessor.java:2058)

Re: heap dump bval

Posted by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk.INVALID>.
yes please

Re: heap dump bval

Posted by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk.INVALID>.
is there a way to clear sensitive data out of a heap dump?

Re: heap dump bval

Posted by German Gonzalez-Morris <ge...@gmail.com>.

Re: heap dump bval

Posted by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk.INVALID>.
thank you very much for running an analysis Bruno.  i appreciate the
time you have put into it

i redeploy the apps but always have to restart the server afterwards as
some apps get jammed.  i was considering deploying using
tomee-maven-plugin if possible to start new instance directly from CLI

ok i will consolidate to smaller number of webapps.  i will merge some
datasources where possible.  it  seems like @ViewScoped beans hold large
data arrays in memory so i will see where it can use @RequestScoped
unless there is a trick to release memory after render time?

Re: heap dump bval

Posted by Bruno Baptista <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: heap dump bval

Posted by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk.INVALID>.

Re: heap dump bval

Posted by Bruno Baptista <br...@gmail.com>.
This has all the memory contents.

Yes, will delete afterwards.

Visual VM in useless with this, Eclipse Memory Analyzer works and it
seems a lot faster.

There is definitely an issue around "org.apache.bval.cdi.BValExtension"
and "org.apache.webbeans.container.BeanManagerImpl".

Re: heap dump bval

Posted by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk.INVALID>.

Re: heap dump bval

Posted by German Gonzalez-Morris <ge...@gmail.com>.