Posted to dev@syncope.apache.org by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org> on 2012/11/21 16:26:58 UTC

Customer reference in NOTICE

Hi,
in Syncope we have been discussing [1] about some aspects related to our
NOTICE file and wed like to ask your opinion about this.

A part of my current work for Syncope is actually paid by one of my
customers that is actually financed in turn by SURFnet.
They explicitly required that such code has to be part of the official
Syncope repository and releases and are also asking to include in the
NOTICE file the following extract:

Portions of this software are developed by the support of the SURF, the
higher education and research partnership organization for Information and
Communications Technology (ICT) in The Netherlands.  For more information
about SURF, please visit www.surf.nl.

They have also provided a previous reference [2] in Apache Rave, for
which they have signed a corporate CLA [3] and software grant [4].

Do you see any issue with this? Is this fine, provided that they sign
another grant for Syncope?

Thanks for your support.
Regards.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/ux6xpt332uoqfjdq
[2]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/rave/donations/surfconext-portal/coin-portal/trunk/NOTICE
[3] http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt
[4] http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: Customer reference in NOTICE

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 7:26 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò
<il...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> in Syncope we have been discussing [1] about some aspects related to our
> NOTICE file and wed like to ask your opinion about this.
>
> A part of my current work for Syncope is actually paid by one of my
> customers that is actually financed in turn by SURFnet.
> They explicitly required that such code has to be part of the official
> Syncope repository and releases and are also asking to include in the
> NOTICE file the following extract:

A better way to say this would be "required to contribute the code to
Syncope". Requiring it to actually be a part of the official
repository is outside of your individual control (ie: the community
could disagree, someone else could delete it later etc). Requiring it
be in the codebase tries to turn Apache into a consultancy company.

> Portions of this software are developed by the support of the SURF, the
> higher education and research partnership organization for Information and
> Communications Technology (ICT) in The Netherlands.  For more information
> about SURF, please visit www.surf.nl.

You could view this as an Apache licensed work with a NOTICE file
containing the above that is being included in Syncope, rather than
coming in over the CLA. Alternatively, you have to identify any other
rights holders when contributing code under the ICLA (clause 7). It
sounds as though SURF are the rights holder for the work, so
identifying their copyright in the NOTICE is fair if desired.

> They have also provided a previous reference [2] in Apache Rave, for
> which they have signed a corporate CLA [3] and software grant [4].
>
> Do you see any issue with this? Is this fine, provided that they sign
> another grant for Syncope?

The important item is that you've signed an ICLA and that you have the
permissions to contribute.

Text-wise, I think it's fine for the NOTICE to include something like:

"Portions of this software are developed by the support of the SURF, the
higher education and research partnership organization for Information and
Communications Technology (ICT) in The Netherlands.  "

We should police that for marketing speak. If it said: "The World's
greatest ICT", that would be bad. For example on the above - is SURF
the only one of these organizations, or should it be "a higher
education ... "? This raises the side question of a NOTICE file that
contains incorrect details :) "Portions Copyright Bob the Skull, the
lead Apache Rave committer".

I think the following shouldn't be included: "For more information
about SURF, please visit www.surf.nl. ". That's not valid to giving
NOTICE.

Community wise this gets interesting for us as it turns NOTICE files
into advertising locations and everyone will want to be listed for the
smallest of contributions ["Based on a bug report by the Yandell
Family, Inc."]. I think the answer is that it's meritocratic, anyone
contributing can ask to be listed, however we have to maintain
editorial control.

SURF can ask that they be called out in the NOTICE, and even propose
text but we determine the way in which we do that.

Hen

Re: Customer reference in NOTICE

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote on Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 16:26:58 +0100:
> Hi,
> in Syncope we have been discussing [1] about some aspects related to our
> NOTICE file and wed like to ask your opinion about this.
>
> A part of my current work for Syncope is actually paid by one of my
> customers that is actually financed in turn by SURFnet.
> They explicitly required that such code has to be part of the official
> Syncope repository and releases and are also asking to include in the
> NOTICE file the following extract:

Maybe include their text in the AUTHORS file, or in who-we-are.html (in
an "Affiliation" column?), etc.?

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
On Nov 23, 2012, at 12:09 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Francesco Chicchiriccò
> <il...@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...A part of my current work for Syncope is actually paid by one of
>> my
>> customers that is actually financed in turn by SURFnet.
>> They explicitly required that such code has to be part of the
>> official
>> Syncope repository and releases...
>
> As others have said, you cannot accept this clause - including that
> code is a decision of the receiving PMC, you can only commit to best
> efforts that will help make that happen.
>
>> ...and are also asking to include in the
>> NOTICE file the following extract...
>
> I also agree with others that NOTICE is not the place for such things
> - in the good old Cocoon times we used
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/CREDITS.txt
> which works well IMO, as long as you state only true facts in there.
>
> -Bertrand

In the OpenJPA project, there is a "Thanks" page for individuals and
organizations who helped the project in various ways. I would see no
issue if Syncope created such a page and listed SURFNet as helping to
fund the implementation of such-and-so feature.

http://openjpa.apache.org/thanks.html

Craig

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle
http://db.apache.org/jdo
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@oracle.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Customer reference in NOTICE

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
Hi all,
first of all, thanks for your support: I must admit that I can follow
this kind of considerations until a certain point before getting lost.

About this:
> They explicitly required that such code has to be part of the official Syncope repository and releases...
I just want to reassure that it is mainly bad phrasing from my side: I
just wanted to emphasize that they did not intend to keep such
development private.
I am perfectly aware that no one but the PMC and the project community
are the only responsible of what is included in ASF releases.

As suggested by some people, I will then avoid any NOTICE 'improper'
entry and ask the community to add a "Thanks to" section in the release
notes (of the release that will actually contain the feature).

Regards.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Please note that Rave is a different case.  SurfNet made a significant
donation of code on entry to the incubator. It was one of three complete
implementations that bootstrapped the Rave project. It was not a feature
contribution to an existing project.

Ross

Sent from my tablet

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 4:07 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgrosso@apache.org
> wrote:

>  1. the feature we are talking about (Role Provisioning) was already
> present in Syncope's roadmap [5] *before* any external engagement

That is fine.

>   2. I've created a separate branch for development purpose only, since
> its scope is to be eventually merged into the trunk - as reported in
> SYNCOPE-171 [6] (and explicitly requested by SURFnet, anyway)

Creating a separate branch for development is a fine thing and if you are a
committer, I think you should decide whether it is in the APache repo or
something like github.

Your funder can constrain whether you publicize this work or not as it is
in development.  Developing in the open is good, generally.

  3. This is my customer's customer request, not mine, and I am only
> checking the compliance with ASF rules and principles; if this is not
> feasible, I will just report to them

That's all well and good.  What is out of line is if your customer is
effectively trying to bind ASF in the matter of whether their funded
contributions are included in the release.  The ASF won't guarantee that
and you should make clear that you can't either.

Having said that, I'd like to understand what "doesn't feel right" exactly:

>  a) the fact that someone is paying someone else to develop some code for
> a feature in roadmap, and also requested such feature to be contributed
> back to the original project instead of laying in some private repository

No problem here.

>  b) the fact that they requested to report such fact into the project's
> NOTICE file

The easiest way to require an acknowledgment is to originally license the
code with a BSD license.  That allows the community to see the issues on
the code itself.  It also kind of implies that you do the development an a
non-Apache repo.

Re: Customer reference in NOTICE

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

[5] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SYNCOPE/Roadmap
[6] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYNCOPE-171

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 22/11/2012 00:55, Ted Dunning wrote:
> Presumably the company required that the person doing the work commit
> this work or cause this work to be committed to the project.  That
> seems like the person agreeing to this is crossing their wires a bit
> since Apache contribution is supposed to be on an individual level
> (although there are plenty of examples of partisanship masquerading as
> personal initiative).

If "the person" is me and "the company" is SURF, I have already
commented in another reply that the work is about a feature already
planned into the roadmap by the community.

 From my point of view, this means that SURF asking to commit this work
into the project's repository - instead of keeping it secret somewhere
else - is actually a good thing.

Do you still think I am crossing any wire? Can you please elaborate? Thanks.

Regards.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 11/22/12 12:55 AM, Ted Dunning a écrit :
> Presumably the company required that the person doing the work commit
> this work or cause this work to be committed to the project. That
> seems like the person agreeing to this is crossing their wires a bit
> since Apache contribution is supposed to be on an individual level
> (although there are plenty of examples of partisanship masquerading
> as personal initiative).

Although I do think that such a contribution should always be discussed,
and approved, openly before being accepted and done, in many cases the
company (or public organisation) is just trying to get some guarantee
that the work will be endorsed by the community : this is the only way
for such additions to be supported by the community.

There is a large shift those days compared to what it was 10 years ago
in the way OSS is used : there is a large consensus in gov organizations
that using OSS and even contributing to OSS is a big plus. One month
ago, for instance, the French prime minister published a letter [1]
(well, it was more than a letter, it was a directive) pushing toward the
mass adoption of OSS in *all* the French civil services, and this
includes spending 10% of the IT budget to actually *support* OSS and
private companies that work on OSS. When you know that the French gov
spending represent 55% of the French GDP, just do the math... Such
collaboration, support, and if need be, contribution, requires that they
are endorsed by the communities. That mainly implies they pay external
people to add some new features, but they also require that some mention
of such 'contribution' is done.

This is a complex situation, and we may have to think about what it
implies for The ASF. IMHO, such contribution is really different from
those made under the umbrella of a private company, where *many* of the
current contributions are done so far.

[1]
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/news/french-guideline-favours-use-free-and-open-source

A mostly complete translation in english is available here :
http://pad.april.org/p/translationayraultcircular

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Customer reference in NOTICE

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Sorry Benson, auto correct munged your name in the mail below.

Sent from my tablet

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Folks,

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 22/11/2012 00:55, Ted Dunning wrote:
> Presumably the company required that the person doing the work commit
> this work or cause this work to be committed to the project.  That
> seems like the person agreeing to this is crossing their wires a bit
> since Apache contribution is supposed to be on an individual level
> (although there are plenty of examples of partisanship masquerading as
> personal initiative).

If "the person" is me and "the company" is SURF, I have already
commented in another reply that the work is about a feature already
planned into the roadmap by the community.

 From my point of view, this means that SURF asking to commit this work

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.