Posted to dev@atlas.apache.org by David Radley <da...@uk.ibm.com> on 2016/09/23 08:35:01 UTC

Rename trait to classification

Hi,
I have raised Jira ATLAS-1187. This is to rename trait to Classification.
I know that this would effect the API, so am keen to understand how we
agree to version the API maybe including other changes. I feel trait is
not very descriptive and I assume comes from Ranger terminology. I think
using classification instead brings us into using terminology better
representing the Atlas capability and its role in governance use cases. I
am keen to get your feedback. I do not feel that I should just submit a
fix like this - I think we need more agreement to account for the impact
on current users. At the same time, we are still in incubation we should
be able to make changes like this to polish the API.

I am looking forward to your thoughts,       David Radley
Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.

Re: Rename trait to classification

Posted by Mandy Chessell <ma...@uk.ibm.com>.
Hello Hemanth, David,
This is a great discussion.   These concepts are all related, in that they
are linked to data descriptions (such as schemas) to characterise data.
However, I think your probing is right, the governance classifications are
slightly different from traits and glossary terms.

Glossary terms are focused on the meaning of the data.  They follow the
structure of the subject area, and link related terms together to show
potential object, attributes, relationships that are typically found
together.   Traits seem to offer an more informal means to characterise
data.   These seem useful for characterising data specific for particular
projects, or areas of special interest to the data lake team.

The governance classifications are a formal definition.  They are often
defined as company-wide values that most employees are trained on.  So a
deployment of Atlas in a new organization could well involve adding their
existing classification schemes to the Atlas repository.   The values I
shared in the earlier email are those we suggest for organizations that do
not currently have any information governance.

The values in each classification scheme are kept small (to keep them
memorable) and then the governance program is built around them.  So, for
example, each system has a set of rules for how it manages data for each
of the classification values.   When new systems are brought in, new rules
may be defined, but the employees still only have to know the standard
classification schemes.

As we continue to enhance the work of the governance enforcement, these
classifications will be the key values encoded in the rules.  For a
sophisticated organization with a company-wide data strategy, the
classifications are often linked to the glossary terms and the glossary
terms are linked to the data schemas.  This means the same classifications
(and hence rules) are applied to the same type of data irrespective of the
system it came from.  Alternatively, where system owners want to control
how the data from their systems are classified, the governance
classifications are linked directly to the schemas and so there may be
variation in the way a certain type of data (eg credit card numbers) are
governed.

In either case, the classifications need to be determined where data is
accessed and so we need a fast look-up mechanism for these values.

All the best
Mandy
Mandy Chessell CBE FREng CEng FBCS
IBM Distinguished Engineer
IBM Analytics Group CTO Office

Master Inventor
Member of the IBM Academy of Technology
Visiting Professor, Department of Computer Science, University of
Sheffield

Email: mandy_chessell@uk.ibm.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mandy-chessell/22/897/a49

Assistant: Janet Brooks - jsbrooks12@uk.ibm.com

To:     dev@atlas.incubator.apache.org
Date:   26/09/2016 08:09
Subject:        Re: Rename trait to classification

Hi David,

Reg. the point I made about sharing traits - I don't want to give an
impression that this as an agreed upon point. Apologize if I conveyed
that sense.

It is a fact that Atlas today has two concepts that are slightly
related: Traits (aka Tags) and Business Terms. The latter was new in
0.7. IMO, it is important that the Atlas community tries to converge
on an unambiguous definition of these concepts as the product would be
driven around these.

With respect to this thread, I am trying to fit in whether
"classification" is a new concept. Or it overlaps with one of the two
existing ones (which we are trying to rename).

I am certainly not a domain expert on this in any sense :-) - so
hoping that others who are would provide guidance (@aahn - ping?).

Thanks
hemanth

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 2:59 PM, David Radley <da...@uk.ibm.com>
wrote:
> Hi Hermanth and Mandy ,
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> It does seem like these are de-facto industry terms in the governance
> industry; the reason I say this is that looking around the web I see
quite
> a few uses of the words governance classification in different domains
> (including in the Atlas documentation!).
>
> I was not aware of the idea that traits and terms would be authored by
> different roles - thanks for your explanation. What is coming up for me
is
> :
>
> I think business users should be able to add new business terms (maybe
> going through a workflow and a governance curator then sorting out
> inconsistencies), as they are the most expert as the language they use.
> Classifications could be authored by different teams, for example levels
> of confidentiality (in Mandy's example) would be dictated by the
> governance team. Governance rules would run on these classifications.
>
> You say "So, it is hard to use traits in a shared sense or expect to
have
> conventional usage" . I notice the Atlas tutorial did not give me this
> impression, as the example of a trait/tag is PII.
> Your description of traits implies they are more like free form labels .
> If this is the intent for traits, then it does not make sense to rename
> them to classification. Maybe traits should be called labels; so their
> name is more in line with their expected usage. Though we should change
> the tutorial!
>
> A business term is a type of classification -a semantic classification.
We
> could add in the concept of classification which Business term and
> Business category  (Jira 1186 ) inherit from. This would allow us to add
> in confidential classifications and classifications schemes to organize.
>
> I look forwards to your thoughts,
>       all the best, David.
>

> From:   Hemanth Yamijala <hy...@hortonworks.com>
> To:     David Radley <de...@atlas.incubator.apache.org>
> Date:   26/09/2016 05:33
> Subject:        Re: Rename trait to classification
>

> Hi,
>
> Are these de-facto industry terms in the governance industry? If yes,
> would they make more sense to explore as part of the Business Taxonomy
> feature that's currently in alpha in 0.7, rather than the trait system?
>
> One differentiation we've been trying to express is that traits (also
> referred to as tags in some places in Atlas) are free form and left to
the
> user using them. So, it is hard to use traits in a shared sense or
expect
> to have conventional usage. So, traits would probably be a tool for a
data
> scientist to quickly annotate something for their own discovery usage
> later.
>
> Business taxonomy, on the other hand, is something we are thinking as
used
> to express standard classification, even if only within an organization,
> but maybe even across industry domains etc. They would likely be created
> by data stewards with knowledge of the domain and their usage would
follow
> established practices (authorization controlling who can do what).
>
> Not sure if what we're referring to as "classification" here fits the
> "traits" or "business taxonomy" side more - trying to understand...
>
> Thanks
> hemanth

So
> [...]
> is.  We would also expect to see classification schemes for other
aspects
> of governance such as retention, confidence (quality) and criticality.
>

> All the best
> Mandy
> Mandy Chessell CBE FREng CEng FBCS
> IBM Distinguished Engineer
> IBM Analytics Group CTO Office
>
> Master Inventor
> Member of the IBM Academy of Technology
> Visiting Professor, Department of Computer Science, University of
> Sheffield
>
> Email: mandy_chessell@uk.ibm.com
> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mandy-chessell/22/897/a49
>
> Assistant: Janet Brooks - jsbrooks12@uk.ibm.com
>

> From:   David Radley/UK/IBM@IBMGB
> To:     dev@atlas.incubator.apache.org
> Date:   23/09/2016 17:05
> Subject:        Re: Rename trait to classification
>

> Hi Madhan,
> That would be great :-)  thanks, David.
>

> From:   Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org>
> To:     "dev@atlas.incubator.apache.org"
<de...@atlas.incubator.apache.org>
> Date:   23/09/2016 16:48
> Subject:        Re: Rename trait to classification
> Sent by:        Madhan Neethiraj <mn...@hortonworks.com>
>

> David,
>
> I agree on replacing ‘trait’ with ‘Classification’. I guess the name
> ‘triat’ might have been influenced by Scala (and not from Ranger, which
> doesn’t have ‘triat’ in its vocab..).
>
> Instead of renaming in the existing APIs, how about we go with the new
> name in the API introduced in ATLAS-1171?
>
> Thanks,
> Madhan
>

> On 9/23/16, 1:35 AM, "David Radley" <da...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>     I have raised Jira ATLAS-1187. This is to rename trait to
> Classification.
>     I know that this would effect the API, so am keen to understand how
we

>     agree to version the API maybe including other changes. I feel trait
> is
>     not very descriptive and I assume comes from Ranger terminology. I
> think
>     using classification instead brings us into using terminology better
>     representing the Atlas capability and its role in governance use
> cases. I
>     am keen to get your feedback. I do not feel that I should just
submit
>     fix like this - I think we need more agreement to account for the
> impact
>     on current users. At the same time, we are still in incubation we
> should
>     be able to make changes like this to polish the API.
>
>     I am looking forward to your thoughts,       David Radley
>     Unless stated otherwise above:
>     IBM United Kingdom Limited - Registered in England and Wales with
> number
>     741598.
>     Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, Hampshire
PO6

Posted by David Radley <da...@uk.ibm.com>.
Hi Suma,
I agree that it is important to split out these different types of
metadata.

One way we can split metadata types at a high level is:
1) Physical assets
2) Glossary
3) Governance Definitions
4) Collaboration and contributions
5) Models and schemas

I would see the annotations as existing in area 4 and the classifications
in area 3. As they are used for different purposes, I would be
uncomfortable having one inherit from the other in any way that would be
exposed at the API as this could blur the definitions. But we could do
this internally to have code re-use.

It seems to me that the most important use case for Atlas would be the
governance one - in which classification is a key concept.

I wonder how important the free-form feedback orientated metadata use case
is  (feedback tagging -annotations, comments , ratings could sit in this
space too)? I know that collaboration features often are a big wow for
users.

  all the best, David.

From:   Suma Shivaprasad <su...@gmail.com>
To:     dev@atlas.incubator.apache.org
Date:   27/09/2016 21:19

Thanks Mandy for the detailed explanation. To add to what David has
already
stated,

We could expose two higher level ATLAS types/concepts which are based on
current Traits.

1. Classification - that are locked down and that have a classification
scheme to group together a set of classification concepts
2. Annotation - that are free form and are not locked down

So Traits could be renamed as Annotation and Classification is a
specialization of an Annotation with an additional classification scheme
associated with it.

Thoughts?

Suma

Posted by David Radley <da...@uk.ibm.com>.
Hi,
Great points Nigel!

I am looking to have a small checkin that does not impede the sort of
enhancements you are talking of.

Responding in order:

My thought was that we would use classification categories. Maybe one way
to introduce ordering would be to have a 'has ordered children' flag on
the category or a Ordered List container; then the children
classifications would be expected to have a pointer to the next higher
classification. If sub classification is important, it might be
implemented using child categories, applying more than one simple
classification or introducing inheritance classification.  My suggestion
would be to deal with this in a follow on Jira to address a particular use
case..

I see terms as top level elements in the current code because:
- there is a top level ResourceDefinition for Term at the same level as
entity , taxonomy , tag etc.
- the taxonomy API that returns terms as top level object.
Internally terms do create a trait type and a trait instance. The traits
are exposed in the API when an entity has a trait, which is what it knows
the term as (maybe we could think of this in uml terms as an entity class,
which has an attribute called trait of type term).  It seems to me that we
could view a term as a semantic classification; so we could rename traits
to classifications in the entity API. We do need to be able to apply
governance classifications to terms; maybe not in the this initial Jira.

If we police the uniqueness of classification names and existing traits
are treated as classifications, that should be fine for migration use
cases. If we then add in annotations which are not uniquely named- this
gives us clear differentiations between classifications and annotations
for the future.

I agree we can do a follow on Jira to update the docs.

all the best, David

From:   Nigel L Jones/UK/IBM@IBMGB
To:     dev@atlas.incubator.apache.org
Date:   04/10/2016 16:56

On 03/10/2016 11:35, David Radley wrote:

> I am not sure I follow your first point. The classification hierarchy I
> was thinking of is the classification scheme, which is not flat. Maybe
we

* I'll try to clarify... Mandy pointed out in an earlier message that
classifications may be ordered (for example going from unclassified to
top secret) as well as contain subclassifications (the
confidential/personal confidential example). We've not discussed
ordering yet, but in a policy deployed in ranger I'd like to be
logically able to have a condition like "confidentiality >=
Confidential". Whilst this could be done (fudged?) with the name, or in
the rule using "confidentiality in
('Confidential','Sensitive','Restricted','Top Secret'), if the order is
frequently used we need to add the notion of ordering to make rules
easier to develop. See also my point below about flattening.. purely as
an interim measure.

> should consider leaving term classification and term classification
> inheritance to a follow on Jira.

Agreed - I will open a new jira for my concern, though I was referring
to classifications rather than business terms.

On another point, you refer in your proposal summary "top level elements
like entity and terms" - but terms are implemented as traits today,
whilst entities are .. entities.  I think we're suggesting
classifications are also implemented as a specialization of annotations
and thus as traits, so can traits have traits? - my familiarity with the
data model/api isnt' developed enough yet... The distinction between
entities and traits is getting more blurred - mostly it's the easy
association & lack of guid yet in many ways terms may need to become
first class entities in their own right?

> I agree that changing the existing Ranger tags to sync with Atlas
> classifications makes sense to not break existing Ranger integration.

Agreed - I suggest that the initial approach focusses on getting the
model/api right in atlas, whilst considering that these classifications
need to be used flexibly at the point of data access. Ranger initially
preserves the simple "tag" approach used today (and must be part of any
change in this area to avoid breakage) - perhaps flattening & label
modification, and another JIRA is then opened (first here, then ranger)
to explore better ways of providing more flexibility in the rules later.

Additionally:

  * Annotations - David you mentioned we may not wish to police
uniqueness of annotations. In the existing implementation the name of a
trait is unique. I think we would want to keep unique names, even for
ad-hoc annotations - though to adopt a fully social model including
commenting, voting we may also have to consider visibility of the
annotations themselves (I'd be inclined to keep it simple though). I
propose we open a social features JIRA to continue that longer termed
discussion.

  * update the docs/wiki to add definitions for entity, term,
classification, annotation, trait, classification, classification
scheme, classification hierarchy etc. This could also be a sub-JIRA?

Nigel.

Posted by Nigel Jones <jo...@uk.ibm.com>.

From:   Nigel L Jones/UK/IBM@IBMGB
To:     dev@atlas.incubator.apache.org
Date:   03/10/2016 11:22

On 03/10/2016 09:10, David Radley wrote:
> Hi Suma and Mandy,
> I am looking to crystalize what changes we want to make here. How about:

The suggestions make sense to me David.

I'm also thinking about enforcement of governance actions driven by
atlas -- for example via ranger.

A few thoughts on this:

* Since a classification can also contain sub-classifications (for
example Mandy's point on confidentiality) and is no longer a flat
space,n when we retrieve the classifications applied to an entity we
need to also have easy access to the classification hierarchy - since
different policies could take effect on different levels of the
hierachy. Confidential vs Partner confidential for example. This affects
the API & ranger's tagsync process (and possibly the way ranger tags
work too). The simplest way to address this today might be to implicitly
tag the entity when retrieved via API with all levels of the hierarchy,
ie both confidential and partner confidential. Not the most efficient,
but minimal change right now to ranger?

* we could only make use of classifications in the atlas/ranger tag
synchronization process, not annotations as most likely it is the formal
classifications that are used for policy enforcement. However we'd have
to allow for this to revert to the old behaviour in configuration
potentally to avoid breakage.

Nigel.

Posted by Nigel Jones <jo...@uk.ibm.com>.

Posted by David Radley <da...@uk.ibm.com>.
Hi Suma and Mandy,
I am looking to crystalize what changes we want to make here. How about:

1) As Suma suggests and Mandy liked, internally have classification
inherit from an annotation.
2) Top level elements like entity and term, can have 0 to many
annotations.
3) Top level elements like entity and term, can have 0 to many
classifications.
4) Annotations and classifications both can have a description (and the
system attributes like creation date)
5) Annotation names are not policed to be unique
6) Classification names, need to match classifications in the
classification scheme
7) Annotations cannot have classifications (if we find a compelling use
case for this we could add this later)
8) Classifications cannot have annotations (if we find a compelling use
case for this we could add this later)
9) Classification scheme could be a containment hierarchy of
classification categories containing classifications.   This would avoid
the need for something lie classification enumerations or values.
10) Classification names are unique in a classification scheme. I suggest
the fully qualified name is <classification scheme>.<classification name>
. Similar to the way term is named in taxonomy.
11) No classification inheritance  (if we find a compelling use case for
this we could add this later)
12) No annotation inheritance.

I am interested in your feedback on this suggestion,

        all the best, David.

From:   Mandy Chessell/UK/IBM@IBMGB
To:     sumasai.shivaprasad@gmail.com
Cc:     dev@atlas.incubator.apache.org
Date:   28/09/2016 15:12

Hello Suma,
I like that idea.   How would glossary terms fit into this scheme?  Are
they also a subclass of annotation?  We link terms to assets to indicate
the semantic meaning of a data item.  However, we may also link a
classification to a term to say any data item linked to this term is also
linked to this classification.  This pattern is used by organizations that
want consistent treatment of data across all data sets/repositories.  It
is particularly useful when supporting a specific regulation that requires
a particular type of data to be governed in a particular way.

This picture shows an example of a classification of "Sensitive" linked to
a glossary term "Compensation Plan".  There are two specialisations of
compensation plan in the glossary called "Annual Salary" and "Hourly Pay
Rate".  These glossary terms are then linked to the schema of the data to
identify that 45324 is a salary that should be considered sensitive.

From:        Suma Shivaprasad <su...@gmail.com>
To:        dev@atlas.incubator.apache.org
Date:        27/09/2016 16:19

From:   Suma Shivaprasad <su...@gmail.com>
To:     dev@atlas.incubator.apache.org
Date:   27/09/2016 16:19

Posted by Nigel Jones <jo...@uk.ibm.com>.
On 27/09/2016 21:19, Suma Shivaprasad wrote:

 > 1. Classification - that are locked down and that have a classification
 > scheme to group together a set of classification concepts
 > 2. Annotation - that are free form and are not locked down
 >
 > So Traits could be renamed as Annotation and Classification is a
 > specialization of an Annotation with an additional classification scheme
 > associated with it.

One additional consideration once we've decided is to see if we can also
persuade the Apache Ranger team to adopt the same terminology

The use of classifications to control access to data, ie to perform
governance actions including audit, check, permit/deny, mask, filter
etc, is very important to get the simplicity and scalability we need in
governing data.

Today we refer to "tags" in atlas and ranger -- I wonder if ranger
should then use "classification" too (though I'm also aware there are
tag sources other than atlas, such as kafka)

In the ranger atlas tagsync process we pull all entities with traits -
and so need to decide whether to
  - allow governance policies to refer to any traits (in proposal above
annotation)
  - allow them to apply to classification only.

I think in most cases it is classification that matters, plus the volume
of traits could get massive,  though any context can be relevant for
making a policy decision. Perhaps we can differentiate on the properties
of the trait as to whether to sync, and how they get used when composing
a ranger rule. In fact that's another point, ranger uses the word
"policy" when in my opinion it's a rule. A policy is imo logical ie
"prevent access to PII data for normal users" and should be represented
in Atlas whilst the rule is technology-specific, an implementation of
the policy. This relationship needs recording too.

Do we have any of the atlas team also closely involved with ranger? I'm
also happy to raise the issue over there, after we've decided how to
best model. I'm looking more at that over here and how we should model
these relationships.

Nigel.

---
Nigel Jones - Software Architect - IBM Analytics Group
IBM United Kingdom Limited / Registered in England and Wales with number
741598 / Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, Hants.
PO6 3AU

Re: Rename trait to classification

Posted by Suma Shivaprasad <su...@gmail.com>.

From:   Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@gmail.com>