Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2005/10/05 12:21:21 UTC

Performance in views

 From the FT IRC logs:

+Oct 05 15:00:15 <kronenpj>	On my quip regarding cocoon caching...  That
site took 50 minutes to build using 0.8 & views.
+Oct 05 15:00:21 <xley>	Ah yeah.
+Oct 05 15:00:34 <kronenpj>	With essentially the same content the pelt
site takes much less.
+Oct 05 15:00:35 <xley>	good success story
+Oct 05 15:00:40 <kronenpj>  :)
+Oct 05 15:01:12 <xley>	hey this is my worry with current views
development ...
+Oct 05 15:01:37 <xley>	i get a sneaking feeling that it doesn't use
cocoon ideally.
+Oct 05 15:01:58 <kronenpj>	I think you're probably right.

One reason for this poor performance is that xinclude is used
extensively. These reqeusts cannot be cached. Therefore everything is
generated *every* time it is requested.

We need to switch this to cinclude.

Ross

Re: Performance in views

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>>One reason for this poor performance is that xinclude is used
>>extensively.
>

> Actually there is "only" one part of the code depending on a include
> with a xpointer. That is the reason I used xinclude. AFAIK cinclude does
> not support xpointer, right?

I think you are correct - not checked though.

> I need to have a look how to rewrite this.

Can we write a custom generator? I know it is your medium-long term goal
to move stuff to Java. In my opinion this is not an urgent issue, as
long as we know where we are heading with it and that we can solve the
problem.

>>These reqeusts cannot be cached. Therefore everything is
>>generated *every* time it is requested.
>>
>>We need to switch this to cinclude.

Since that's a search and replace we may as well do it where we can.

Ross

Re: Performance in views

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El jue, 06-10-2005 a las 18:34 +1000, David Crossley escribió:
> > Why do you think that David?
> > Can you please show us!
>
> I needed to do a better analysis before saying anything,
> but since you ask now ...
>
> Have a look at a views enabled site using the Cocoon Profiler:
> http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/howto/howto-dev.html#debug
>
> There seem to be a number of components not being cached.
>
> As i said i would rather have done some anaylysis first.
> At this stage its like i said on IRC: "a feeling" only.
>
> Aside from my feelings, Paul's build times are frightening.
> One of us should views-enable our site-author and see
> what build time happens for us.

Will do that. Thx for the link. ;-)
salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: Performance in views

Posted by CFAS Webmaster <we...@cfas.org>.

David Crossley wrote:

>David Crossley wrote:
>

>>CFAS Webmaster wrote:
>>

>>>Here's a second try...
>>>
>>>Tigris skin:
>>>Part 1: http://forrest.pastebin.com/385730
>>>Part 2: http://forrest.pastebin.com/385731
>>>

>>Did you grasp the importance of issue FOR-677 below?
>>You should fix that issue first. It is causing documents
>>to be duplicated.

I did, but I wanted a complete record to be documented first...

>Try looking through your site.xml for hrefs
>with leading slash, also skinconf.xml, also the
>links in xdocs if not using site: style links.

I'll do that.  I know I have quite a few like that due to the way the
site was originally created that I never removed.

>-David

Thanks!
-Paul

Re: Performance in views

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: Performance in views

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: Performance in views

Posted by CFAS Webmaster <we...@cfas.org>.
Here's a second try...

Re: Performance in views

Posted by CFAS Webmaster <we...@cfas.org>.

Re: Performance in views

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: Performance in views

Posted by CFAS Webmaster <we...@cfas.org>.

Re: Performance in views

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: Performance in views

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El mié, 05-10-2005 a las 11:21 +0100, Ross Gardler escribió:
>  From the FT IRC logs:
>
> +Oct 05 15:00:15 <kronenpj>	On my quip regarding cocoon caching...  That
> site took 50 minutes to build using 0.8 & views.
> +Oct 05 15:00:21 <xley>	Ah yeah.
> +Oct 05 15:00:34 <kronenpj>	With essentially the same content the pelt
> site takes much less.
> +Oct 05 15:00:35 <xley>	good success story
> +Oct 05 15:00:40 <kronenpj>  :)
> +Oct 05 15:01:12 <xley>	hey this is my worry with current views
> development ...
> +Oct 05 15:01:37 <xley>	i get a sneaking feeling that it doesn't use
> cocoon ideally.

Why do you think that David?
Can you please show us!

> +Oct 05 15:01:58 <kronenpj>	I think you're probably right.
>
> One reason for this poor performance is that xinclude is used
> extensively.

Actually there is "only" one part of the code depending on a include
with a xpointer. That is the reason I used xinclude. AFAIK cinclude does
not support xpointer, right?

I need to have a look how to rewrite this.

> These reqeusts cannot be cached. Therefore everything is
> generated *every* time it is requested.
>
> We need to switch this to cinclude.

See above does cinclude support xpointer, if so then we can switch right
away.

salu2