Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> on 2012/03/24 18:39:30 UTC

[VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round

Hello,

I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round.

(I am calling this the "Haters Gon Hate" release.)

Changes since last round:

* COUCHDB-1424 fixed, thank you Bob Dionne
* COUCHDB-1426 fixed, thank you Benoît Chesneau (and Paul, and others)
* Performance regressions fixed, thank you Robert Newson
* R15B patch landed, thank you Jan Lehnardt
* COUCHDB-1445 fixed, thanks Randal Leeds

We encourage the whole community to download and test these
release artefacts so that any critical issues can be resolved before the
release is made. Everyone is free to vote on this release, so get stuck in!

We are voting on the following release artifacts:

http://people.apache.org/~nslater/dist/1.2.0/

These artifacts have been built from the following tree-ish in Git:

654768d32bae3639756c18b200582093aa51f349

Please follow the test procedure before voting:

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Test_procedure

Thank you.

Happy voting,

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Thanks Brian!

Posted by Brian Mitchell <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round.
>
> (I am calling this the "Haters Gon Hate" release.)
>
> Changes since last round:
>
> * COUCHDB-1424 fixed, thank you Bob Dionne
> * COUCHDB-1426 fixed, thank you Benoît Chesneau (and Paul, and others)
> * Performance regressions fixed, thank you Robert Newson
> * R15B patch landed, thank you Jan Lehnardt
> * COUCHDB-1445 fixed, thanks Randal Leeds
>
> We encourage the whole community to download and test these
> release artefacts so that any critical issues can be resolved before the
> release is made. Everyone is free to vote on this release, so get stuck in!

> http://people.apache.org/~nslater/dist/1.2.0/
>

> These artifacts have been built from the following tree-ish in Git:
>
> 654768d32bae3639756c18b200582093aa51f349
>

> Please follow the test procedure before voting:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Test_procedure
>

> Thank you.
>
> Happy voting,

+1 test OK, signature OK

tested on various platform and erlang R14B04/R15B.

- benoît

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 10:39, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round.

> http://people.apache.org/~nslater/dist/1.2.0/

> Happy voting,

I vote +1.
--

Signature okay.
MD5 sum okay.

Test system:
Ubuntu Precise (GNU/Linux 3.2.0 64bit)
Erlang R14B04 (erts-5.8.5) (64bit) (HiPE)
SpiderMonkey 1.8.5

Make check okay.
--

Firefox 12.0

Futon tests okay. (All green on the first pass!)
--

Thank you, Noah, for managing (yet) another vote and for kicking
everyone forward.

-Randall

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 6:43 AM, Stefan Kögl <ko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Try adding:
>>
>> --with-js-lib-name=mozjs185 to your ./configure invocation
>
> That worked.
>
> +1 from me :)
>

>> Also, why is libjs installed on this system? Was that a custom thing
>> you did or is it included for some reason in a package?
>
> I can't remember why, tbh. Is that important somehow?

Only important to know if its a common setup that we should take into
account when guessing library names because its a common
configuration. Not important for your immediate situation.

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round

Posted by Stefan Kögl <ko...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Try adding:
>
> --with-js-lib-name=mozjs185 to your ./configure invocation

That worked.

+1 from me :)

> Also, why is libjs installed on this system? Was that a custom thing
> you did or is it included for some reason in a package?

I can't remember why, tbh. Is that important somehow?

-- Stefan

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Try adding:

Posted by Stefan Kögl <ko...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Stefan,

Posted by Stefan Kögl <ko...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Voting -1 on the first sign of issues (was Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round)

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Also, everyone should vote, even if you've never spoken on this mailing
list before.

Every opinion is valuable, and is listened to.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
I disagree with this.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
On 27 March 2012 14:19, Bob Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com> wrote:
> Dave,
>
> Actually the rules are quite clear on this issue:
>
> "However, in no case may someone's vote be considered invalid if the implied commitment doesn't appear to be met; a vote is a formal expression of opinion, not of commitment."
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bob

Hi Noah, Bob,

In hindsight, you're right & I'd definitely be
disappointed if somebody decided note to
vote after reading my email.

A+
Dave

Re: Voting -1 on the first sign of issues (was Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round)

Posted by Bob Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.
Dave,

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On Mar 26, 2012, at 19:45 , Sam Bisbee wrote:

> Paul,
>
> root@couchdb:~/apache-couchdb-1.2.0# which g++
> /usr/bin/g++
> root@couchdb:~/apache-couchdb-1.2.0#
>
> Will dig some more. Smells like a borked OS install.

Or a borked ./configure :)

Cheers
Jan

Posted by Sam Bisbee <sa...@sbisbee.com>.
Alright, I managed to fix the machine. That is, I wiped it and the new
install works. :) I did some digging and it feels like a hiccup during
OS install caused the problem. Regardless, very unlikely that it was
CouchDB's problem.

All signatures and hashes look good.

`make check` ran without problem on Ubuntu 11.04 (natty), Ubuntu 11.10
(oneiric), Debian 5.0 (lenny), and Debian 6.0 (squeeze). All ran on
some variation of R14 erlang.

So I'm +1 on this release.

Cheers,

--
Sam Bisbee

Posted by Sam Bisbee <sa...@sbisbee.com>.
Paul,

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Sam,

Posted by Sam Bisbee <sa...@sbisbee.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Man, I am so eager to remove the browser test suit. @__@

Posted by Matt Goodall <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mar 25, 2012, at 19:59 , Noah Slater wrote:
>
>> (To clarify, not for this release. But seriously, the tests cause us so
>> much pain. Something needs to change. I think we should talk about the
>> roadmap for this, and for the OS X stuff, after the release.)
>
> master already includes a CLI JS test runner that will sort out a large
> class of browser-related issues. I believe this is our biggest item today,
> so there's progress, but of course we can do with more :)

like removing these JS tests for example. We could test every from the
API in erlang, so we wouldn't have to fake an ajax call or such
ugliness.

- benoît

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Thanks!

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bob Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.
you might consider naming the next build "knock wood"  :)

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
Given Filipe's clarification, I change my vote to -1.

B.

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2012, at 19:58 , Filipe David Manana wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM, Stefan Kögl <ko...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> I just wanted to raise some attention to the DB compaction bug discovered today
>>>
>>>  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-1451
>>>
>>> While I initially discovered the bug with a 1.1.2 instance, this could
>>> also affect 1.2. I think this issue should be resolved before closing
>>> the vote. Filipe already provided a patch, so it shouldn't take too
>>> long.
>>
>> Stefan, the patch is only for 1.2.x (and master).
>> That exact issue can't happen on 1.1.x releases, as it's related to
>> code added in 1.2.x.
>>
>> I'm voting -1 on this round just because of this issue.
>
> Filipe, can you explain how frequent this issue would be? I can't quite
> discover the circumstances from the patch & commit message.

Very frequent on some environments / work loads. It's highly timing
sensitive. Happens if the compactor inserts the last batch of btree
records in less than 500ms after the previous batch.

> Cheers
> Jan

Filipe David Manana,

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@apache.org>.

--
Filipe David Manana,

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
And just in the nick of time!

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefan Kögl <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
It's assumed that 1.2.0 will ship with bugs (because it's software).

Posted by Stefan Kögl <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen Lewis <st...@yourgolftravel.com>.
MD5, SHA1 and signature check OK, make check passes, Futon test suite
passes (although replicator_db took a couple of attempts).

Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit, Spidermonkey 1.8.5, Erlang R15B.

+1 from me.

On 24 March 2012 17:39, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round.
>
> (I am calling this the "Haters Gon Hate" release.)
>
> Changes since last round:
>
> * COUCHDB-1424 fixed, thank you Bob Dionne
> * COUCHDB-1426 fixed, thank you Benoît Chesneau (and Paul, and others)
> * Performance regressions fixed, thank you Robert Newson
> * R15B patch landed, thank you Jan Lehnardt
> * COUCHDB-1445 fixed, thanks Randal Leeds
>
> We encourage the whole community to download and test these
> release artefacts so that any critical issues can be resolved before the
> release is made. Everyone is free to vote on this release, so get stuck in!

> http://people.apache.org/~nslater/dist/1.2.0/
>

> These artifacts have been built from the following tree-ish in Git:
>
> 654768d32bae3639756c18b200582093aa51f349
>

> Please follow the test procedure before voting:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Test_procedure
>

> Thank you.
>
> Happy voting,

Stephen Lewis
CTO
yourgolftravel.com / spabreaks.com

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round

Posted by Jason Smith <jh...@apache.org>.
+1

Good build, make check, browser tests pass:

* Fedora 16, R15B
* Ubuntu 11.10, R15B
* Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, R15B
* OS X Lion, R15B

Posted by Wendall Cada <we...@83864.com>.
Everything builds and tests (etap + browser) for both Fedora 16 and
Centos 6. I've updated couchdb-rpm to reflect.

+1 For releasing 1.2.0!

Wendall

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
On 25 March 2012 16:08, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 12:08 AM, Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz> wrote:
>>
>> NB we have _config.yml now in the diff phase
>> (diff -r apache-couchdb-1.2.0 ../tree), LGTME.
>>

> I don't see this!
>
> I see the following output:
>
> Only in ../tree: .gitignore
> Only in ../tree: .travis.yml

Sorry for the confusion, indeed its travis.yml. Late-night :/

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 12:08 AM, Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz> wrote:

> NB we have _config.yml now in the diff phase
> (diff -r apache-couchdb-1.2.0 ../tree), LGTME.

I don't see this!

I see the following output:

Only in ../tree: .gitignore
Only in ../tree: .travis.yml
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0: INSTALL
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0: acinclude.m4
Only in ../tree: acinclude.m4.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0: aclocal.m4
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/bin: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/bin: couchdb.1
Only in ../tree: bootstrap
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0: build-aux
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0: config.h.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0: configure
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/etc: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/etc/couchdb: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/etc/default: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/etc/init: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/etc/launchd: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/etc/logrotate.d: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/etc/windows: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/m4: ac_check_curl.m4
Only in ../tree/m4: ac_check_curl.m4.gz
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/m4: ac_check_icu.m4
Only in ../tree/m4: ac_check_icu.m4.gz
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/m4: libtool.m4
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/m4: ltoptions.m4
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/m4: ltsugar.m4
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/m4: ltversion.m4
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/m4: lt~obsolete.m4
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/m4: pkg.m4
Only in ../tree/m4: pkg.m4.gz
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/share: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/src: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/src/couchdb: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/src/couchdb/priv: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/src/couchdb/priv: couchjs.1
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/src/ejson: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/src/erlang-oauth: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/src/etap: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/src/ibrowse: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/src/mochiweb: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/src/snappy: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/test: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/test/bench: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/test/etap: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/test/javascript: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/test/view_server: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/utils: Makefile.in
Only in apache-couchdb-1.2.0/var: Makefile.in

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round

Posted by Sebastian Cohnen <se...@googlemail.com>.
On 26.03.2012, at 06:08, Benoit Chesneau wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Sebastian Cohnen
> <se...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> The steps dch/filipe provided didn't help me either. I'll try to run the tests multiple times until they complete w/o the segfaulting.
>>

> Did you really linked your couchdb install to an installed by hand
> openssl? It should work.

I tried only once. Maybe I missed something but since building erlang simply takes forever (even on my 3GHz MBP) and I didn't had that much time yesterday, I gave up :-/

@Jan: neat trick, "worked" fine :)

+1

signatures: ok
make check: ok
browser tests: ok (FF 11.0)

System: OS X 10.7.3, R15B, SpiderMonkey 1.8.5

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
<se...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> The steps dch/filipe provided didn't help me either. I'll try to run the tests multiple times until they complete w/o the segfaulting.

Did you really linked your couchdb install to an installed by hand
openssl? It should work.

the explanation there [1] or on the couchdb wiki have repeatedly
worked on different machines.

- benoit

[1] https://github.com/refuge/refuge/wiki/Refuge-Build-on-MacOSX-Lion

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
On 25 March 2012 19:07, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mar 25, 2012, at 19:01 , Sebastian Cohnen wrote:
>
>> The steps dch/filipe provided didn't help me either. I'll try to run the tests multiple times until they complete w/o the segfaulting.

I should have this sorted out tonight, I'm making good progress & will
report back + update the gist. I have a half-way satanic mix of
Filipe's stuff and brew that works, just slowly mixing it back into
homebrew line by line.

A+
Dave

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On Mar 25, 2012, at 19:01 , Sebastian Cohnen wrote:

> The steps dch/filipe provided didn't help me either. I'll try to run the tests multiple times until they complete w/o the segfaulting.

You can also do while(true); do ./bin/couchdb; done to restart CouchDB
in a loop when running the segfaulty tests.

Cheers
Jan

Posted by Sebastian Cohnen <se...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sebastian Cohnen <se...@googlemail.com>.
Bob,

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Dave,

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
On 24 March 2012 18:39, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round.
>
> (I am calling this the "Haters Gon Hate" release.)
>
> Changes since last round:
>
> * COUCHDB-1424 fixed, thank you Bob Dionne
> * COUCHDB-1426 fixed, thank you Benoît Chesneau (and Paul, and others)
> * Performance regressions fixed, thank you Robert Newson
> * R15B patch landed, thank you Jan Lehnardt
> * COUCHDB-1445 fixed, thanks Randal Leeds
>
> We encourage the whole community to download and test these
> release artefacts so that any critical issues can be resolved before the
> release is made. Everyone is free to vote on this release, so get stuck in!

> http://people.apache.org/~nslater/dist/1.2.0/
>

> These artifacts have been built from the following tree-ish in Git:
>
> 654768d32bae3639756c18b200582093aa51f349
>

> Please follow the test procedure before voting:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Test_procedure
>

> Thank you.
>
> Happy voting,

+1 SHIP ALL THE COUCHES!!!!!

sha, md5, gpg ok.

Posted by Klaus Trainer <kl...@posteo.de>.
+1

Signatures: ok.

Comparison between git tree and release artifact: ok.

Ubuntu 11.10 x86_64, Erlang R15B, SpiderMonkey 1.8.5
(libmozjs185-{1.0,dev}):
  make check: ok.
  JavaScript test suite executed in Firefox 11: ok.

Thank you so much for all that great work!

PS: YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Thanks! I was just going by who was assigned. :)

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.