Posted to dev@hudi.apache.org by Udit Mehrotra <ud...@apache.org> on 2021/08/04 00:12:45 UTC

[DISCUSS] Hudi 0.9.0 Release

Hi Community,

As we draw close to doing Hudi 0.9.0 release, I am happy to share a summary
of the key features/improvements that would be going in the release and the
current blockers for everyone's visibility.

*Highlights*

   - [HUDI-1729] Asynchronous Hive sync and commits cleaning for Flink
   writer
   - [HUDI-1738] Detect and emit deleted records for Flink MOR table
   streaming read
   - [HUDI-1867] Support streaming reads for Flink COW table
   - [HUDI-1908] Global index for flink writer
   - [HUDI-1788] Support Insert Overwrite with Flink Writer
   - [HUDI-2209] Bulk insert for flink writer
   - [HUDI-1591] Support querying using non-globbed paths for Hudi Spark
   DataSource queries
   - [HUDI-1591] Partition pruning support for read optimized queries via
   Hudi Spark DataSource
   - [HUDI-1415] Register Hudi Table as a Spark DataSource Table with
   metastore. Queries via Spark SQL will be routed through Hudi DataSource
   (instead of InputFormat), thus making it more performant due to Spark's
   native/optimized readers
   - [HUDI-1591] Partition pruning support for snapshot queries via Hudi
   Spark DataSource
   - [HUDI-1658] DML and DDL support via Spark SQL
   - [HUDI-1790] Add SqlSource for DeltaStreamer to support backfill use
   cases:
   - [HUDI-251] Add JDBC Source support for DeltaStreamer
   - [HUDI-1910] Support Kafka based checkpointing for HoodieDeltaStreamer
   - [HUDI-1371] Support metadata based listing for Spark DataSource and
   Spark SQL
   - [HUDI-2013] [HUDI-1717] [HUDI-2089] [HUDI-2016] Improvements to
   Metadata based listing
   - HUDI-89] Introduce a HoodieConfig/ConfigProperty framework to bring
   all configs under one roof
   - [HUDI-2124] Grafana dashboard for Hudi
   - [HUDI-1104] [HUDI-1105] [HUDI-2009] Improvements to Bulk Insert via
   row writing
   - [HUDI-1483] Async clustering for Delta Streamer
   - [HUDI-2235] Add virtual key support to Hudi
   - [HUDI-1848] Add support for Hive Metastore in Hive-sync-tool
   - In addition, there have been significant improvements and bug fixes to
   improve the overall stability of Flink Hudi integration

*Current Blockers*

   - [HUDI-2208] Support Bulk Insert For Spark Sql (Owner: pengzhiwei)
   - [HUDI-1256] Follow on improvements to HFile tables for metadata based
   listing (Owner: None)
   - [HUDI-2063] Add Doc For Spark Sql (DML and DDL) integration With Hudi
   (Owner: pengzhiwei)
   - [HUDI-1842] Spark Sql Support For The Exists Hoodie Table (Owner:
   pengzhiwei)
   - [HUDI-1138] Re-implement marker files via timeline server (Owner:
   Ethan Guo)
   - [HUDI-1985] Website redesign implementation (Owner: Vinoth
   Govindarajan)
   - [HUDI-2232] MERGE INTO fails with table having nested struct (Owner:
   pengzhiwei)
   - [HUDI-1468] incremental read support with clustering (Owner: Liwei)
   - [HUDI-2250] Bulk insert support for tables w/ primary key (Owner: None)
   - [HUDI-2222] [SQL] Test catalog integration (Owner: Sagar Sumit)
   - [HUDI-2221] [SQL] Functionality testing with Spark 2 (Owner: Sagar
   Sumit)
   - [HUDI-1887] Setting default value to false for enabling schema post
   processor (Owner: Sivabalan)
   - [HUDI-1850] Fixing read of a empty table but with failed write (Owner:
   Sivabalan)
   - [HUDI-2151] Enable defaults for out of box performance (Owner: Udit
   Mehrotra)
   - [HUDI-2119] Ensure the rolled-back instance was previously synced to
   the Metadata Table when syncing a Rollback Instant (Owner: Prashant Wason)
   - [HUDI-1458] Support custom clustering strategies and preserve commit
   time to support incremental read (Owner: Satish Kotha)
   - [HUDI-1763] Fixing honoring of Ordering val in
   DefaultHoodieRecordPayload.preCombine (Owner: Sivabalan)
   - [HUDI-1129] Improving schema evolution support in hudi (Owner:
   Sivabalan)
   - [HUDI-2120] [DOC] Update docs about schema in flink sql configuration
   (Owner: Xianghu Wang)
   - [HUDI-2182] Support Compaction Command For Spark Sql (Owner:
   pengzhiwei)

Please respond to the thread if you think that I have missed capturing any
of the highlights or blockers for Hudi 0.9.0 release. For the owners of
these release blockers, can you please provide a specific timeline you are
willing to commit to for finishing these so we can cut an RC ?

Thanks,
Udit

Re: [DISCUSS] Hudi 0.9.0 Release

Posted by Sivabalan <n....@gmail.com>.
Status update: all release blockers are landed. We are good to go ahead
with RC work.

-Sivabalan

Re: [DISCUSS] Hudi 0.9.0 Release

Posted by Udit Mehrotra <ud...@apache.org>.
Hi Community,

Re: [DISCUSS] Hudi 0.9.0 Release

Posted by sagar sumit <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Udit, Vinoth

Re: [DISCUSS] Hudi 0.9.0 Release

Posted by Raymond Xu <xu...@gmail.com>.
+1 End of next week

Re: [DISCUSS] Hudi 0.9.0 Release

Posted by Raymond Xu <xu...@gmail.com>.
+1 End of next week

Re: [DISCUSS] Hudi 0.9.0 Release

Posted by Sivabalan <n....@gmail.com>.
> [...]

   processor (Owner: Sivabalan)
   - [HUDI-1850] Fixing read of a empty table but with failed write (Owner:
   Sivabalan)

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 11:17 AM Vinoth Chandar <vi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Any other thoughts? Love to lock this date down sooner than later.
>
> Thanks
> Vinoth
>
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 11:35 PM Udit Mehrotra <ud...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Agreed Vinoth. End of next week seems reasonable as a hard deadline for
> > cutting the RC.
> >
> > If anyone thinks otherwise or needs more time, feel free to chime in.
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 8:10 PM Vinoth Chandar <vi...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks Udit! I propose we set end of next week as a hard deadline for
> > > cutting the RC. Any thoughts?
> > >
> > > A good amount of progress is being made on these blockers, I think.

-Sivabalan

Re: [DISCUSS] Hudi 0.9.0 Release

Posted by Sivabalan <n....@gmail.com>.
> [...]

   processor (Owner: Sivabalan)
   - [HUDI-1850] Fixing read of a empty table but with failed write (Owner:
   Sivabalan)

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 11:17 AM Vinoth Chandar <vi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Any other thoughts? Love to lock this date down sooner than later.
>
> Thanks
> Vinoth
>
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 11:35 PM Udit Mehrotra <ud...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Agreed Vinoth. End of next week seems reasonable as a hard deadline for
> > cutting the RC.
> >
> > If anyone thinks otherwise or needs more time, feel free to chime in.
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 8:10 PM Vinoth Chandar <vi...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks Udit! I propose we set end of next week as a hard deadline for
> > > cutting the RC. Any thoughts?
> > >
> > > A good amount of progress is being made on these blockers, I think.

-Sivabalan

Re: [DISCUSS] Hudi 0.9.0 Release

Posted by Vinoth Chandar <vi...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Hudi 0.9.0 Release

Posted by Vinoth Chandar <vi...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Hudi 0.9.0 Release

Posted by Danny Chan <da...@apache.org>.
HUDI-2170 needs to be involved, it solves the problem that in COW write and
MOR reader code path, the preCombine field is ignored when merging.

HUDI-1771: we would try to get the rough version so that we can get more
feedback from the user, this is also a strong request for Chinese users.

Best,
Danny Chan

Udit Mehrotra <ud...@apache.org> 于2021年8月4日周三 下午2:35写道:

Re: [DISCUSS] Hudi 0.9.0 Release