Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by lk gen <lk...@gmail.com> on 2022/11/14 10:12:25 UTC

Kafka and Zookeeper FIPS SASL connection

Hi,

  In my environment I have configured FIPS java, Zookeeper to work with
SASL and a Kafka broker to connect to Zookeeper with SASL

  I noticed that if FIPS is enabled, kafka cannot connect and there is an
error
  "ERROR SASL authentication with Zookeeper Quorum member failed.
(org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn)
javax.security.sasl.SaslException: saslClient failed to initialize
properly: it's null."

  Used latest Kafka 3.3.1, redhat 8 with redhat java 11, connection SASL
PLAIN

  Is such SASL connection between Zookeeper and Kafka supported ?

  Should a bug be reported for it in Jira ?

  If needed I can provide more details on how FIPS was set and how SASL was
configured

Thanks