Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by lu...@free.fr on 2006/07/22 17:54:15 UTC

[math] beware before adding Mantissa code to an experimental directory

Hello,

Following this week discussion about copyright issues in math code, I think two
more Mantissa classes should not be included as is to commons-math code. I
really did write them myself but took inspiration from existing code, not only
texbooks. The first class is the Gragg-Bulirsch-Stoer integrator which was
inspired from an implementation by Hairer and Wanner. The second class is the
highest level part of the Levenberg-Marquardt implementation which was inspired
from NETLIB code (is this acceptable for commons-math ?). The lowest level part,
on the other hand, which is the QR decomposition with columns reordering, is an
orginal implementation following a french textbook from the 80's.

For these two classes, I will see if I can provide completely original
implementations. I hope no other classes present the same problem, I will check
each one.

sorry for the inconvenience
Luc

Re: [math] beware before adding Mantissa code to an experimental directory

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
One more request on this, Luc.  Once you have completed the review of
all classes, can you please prepare a tarball with exactly the sources
that you can contribute with no encumbrance and mail that to me, or
alternatively make this tarball available for review via a publicly
accessible URL, posted to this list.  Please also resubmit the
software grant with a referenece to Mantissa, the included and
excluded classes, and an MD5 or SHA-1 hash of the source tarball
consituting the initial contribution.  Include the hash in your mail
to me / web location as well.

Thanks, and sorry to put so many hoops up.  We just have to be very
careful about IP clearance.

Phil

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.